This thread is being watched by 1 person
alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
31 January 2012 21:45
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

i've had a protracted discussion about the P position on my camera.

the argument made by other party was its called "P for professional" (no grin
when he said that) and one can't get much control over the camera when using it.

who feeds this bs to people ?

i'm willing to bet its a recent article in a photo mag by some
journo that has nothing better to scribe... (sigh)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
31 January 2012 21:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'd be willing to bet that while the 'P for Professional' joke is all well and good on forums, in the real world where genuine professionals have to deliver results without fail (journalists for example) it is pretty much guaranteed that P mode will give them precisely what they need (a correctly exposed image) and as such it is probably used quite often (though few will admit to it)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Pole is off-line
31 January 2012 22:13
Simon_P
Photographer
Simon_P
Lothian
Livingston, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth

P for professional, it's true
We don't follow fashion, that would be a joke, You know we're gonna set them, set them. So everyone can take note, take note! - Adam Ant

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2012 00:15
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

I use it sometimes, mainly for outdoor stuff (street photography).

But then I spent years toting 'round a series of Medium format cameras which were 100% manual (and metering with an L308 ), so I don't feel I have anything to prove!

I think if you're out and about, it's a great mode to have the camera in just in case something happens. Worst case scenario, the camera picks a reasonable aperture and shutter to keep you away from camera shake, and you get the shot.

I always set my cameras up to move the AF off the shutter button. So a shutter half-press just fixes exposure, and it's quick to click the top dial one way or the other to change the aperture/shutter relationship if I feel like it. This gives me the best of both worlds... I don't always want low depth of field - but if it works for a shot then I can get it without doing to aperture priority (or manual).

What I would really like is some way of designing my own program mode curves... 'cos I prefer to keep things sharp by upping ISO before I drop shutter speed too much. Canon could make some sort of editor to design them and upload them to the camera. If I could have maybe two or three custom curves, I'd use program a lot more.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2012 02:28
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

We have had this debate before, P = Professional, A = Amateur, B = Beginner. If you have Canon, Tv mode is for taking pictures off the Tv screen.

Spike is off-line
01 February 2012 02:52
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Quote from paulford
We have had this debate before, P = Professional, A = Amateur, B = Beginner. If you have Canon, Tv mode is for taking pictures off the Tv screen.

Bugger - I've been using "Tv" for photographing cross dressing models.

Still use "Av" for packshots of HiFi & Projectors
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

Pict is off-line
01 February 2012 02:54
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

Quote from Andy_B

What I would really like is some way of designing my own program mode curves... 'cos I prefer to keep things sharp by upping ISO before I drop shutter speed too much. Canon could make some sort of editor to design them and upload them to the camera. If I could have maybe two or three custom curves, I'd use program a lot more.

That's P mode with AUTO ISO then?
I'll confess I've used both, just not together. I still have something to look forward to.

digineil is off-line
01 February 2012 03:23
digineil
Photographer
digineil
Staffordshire

P mode is not cool same as selective colour is not cool if it ever was laugh

Paul Venn is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2012 03:25
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Norfolk
Norwich

Well I am waiting for "C" for Creative. With ISO likely to be one half or even a whole million in the next few years (Canon 1 Dx supposedly a quarter) I expect to be able to set the shutter speed AND aperture to whatever I want as a creative effect and the camera select the lowest ISO to give me a correctly exposed image! I can than play with the +/- settings (lol).

01 February 2012 03:49
stevephot
Photographer

Quote from digineil
 P mode is not cool same as selective colour is not cool if it ever was laugh

Selective colour is very cool, and even now in many Editorial  mags you will see awesome examoles of it.

Its just about knowing how to do it well....a bit like the vintage effect everyone is using at the moment...about 1% looks awesome the rest is just over done.

I have used P before when so much was happening there was no time to expose individual shots (but you need to shoot in RAW) so cannot use the Auto mode.

Dont blame me..i voted for the other lot :)

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
idubai2018 poah portalphotography