Whats wrong with chaperones??? - [ i.e. I haven't bothered to read all...

Whats wrong with chaperones??? - [ i.e. I haven't bothered to read all the other topics on this subject ]

It seems this conversation has now been locked
144 posts
23 Sep 2009
Harpy_images
Photographer
Harpy_images
deetvstudio

Well he can now add the "knob-head of the night" award to his photoshop qualifications.
And "verbal manure distribution operative".
He almost made me swear earlier too.

Dave.

Ahh yes, I did notice the"my awards blah bigger than yours" references in the posts.

As for swearing I have had a VERY very long ol day so I am not in the mood for his crap..

Posted 26 Sep 2009
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Missed your Reply in the flurry of activity earlier Meg, but if I had seen this while you were still up, then I'd have said I'm always a little distrustful of people who feel the need to photograph their own equipment in order to impress people.
And the same goes for photographers.

Dave.

Posted 27 Sep 2009
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
im suprised this even got to 13 pages to be honest and just sounds like someone is trying to wind everyone up on purpose. i have an assistant, same sex as the model. there you go no need for someone i dont know nor watching hanging around my studio causing a possible health n safe risk and is not insured. Chaps can meet me, come pik up/drop of a models but I have plenty of refs and other people wanting to work with me to not engage in an argument over the issue. people that dont like the way I work can happly go else where its no problem to me. The only time I believe I may bend my rules are if the model is under 18 and wants parental support of which ill providing seating in a set area or if the model has a health condition im made aware about and may need assistance at various intervals. I do I sound fair? no, then go use your mobile phone to take pics
Posted 27 Sep 2009
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
There will always be 'chaperone posts' popping up regularly because it is such a topical and emotive issue!
Personally speaking, I don't object to the presence of chaperones but, they CAN inhibit shoots at times therefore, I'd much prefer that any model with whom I had a prospective shoot, took it upon herself to actually contact other models with whom I'd worked so that they could feel assured that no harm would come to them during a shoot with me.

II can understand some model's concerns as there are lots of GWC's on forums like this who's only motivation seems to be, to get the model to take as much kit off as possible for their own gratification - this is only too evident in some profiles. However, if a photographer has lots of good feedback going back quite a while, then I don't see the need for a model to bring along a chaperone as, it is evident that they are a respected photographer and if a model still insists that she brings along a chaperone to a shoot with such a photographer, then perhaps she's in the wrong industry.

As for me, I'm not going to risk sullying my reputation for any female, no matter whether they are fully clothed or nude - my interests are purely in the aesthetics of the shoot as I'm sure is the case of most other respectable photographers. In any case, I have a young and very attractive partner who is far prettier than many models on these forums so, I can see an attractive female body at any time and she doesn't need a chaperone with me. emoticon
I will shoot with models who wish to bring along a chaperone but, I will only do so when my partner is also available to monitor the model's chaperone, so it gets a bit complicated and restricts the opportunities to work with these models.
Recently I read a post from a relative newbie, who at the bottom of her profile wrote " I always bring along a chaperone as there are all kinds of pervs out there" - now I don't know about other photographers but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable working with a girl like that even if she did bring along a chaperone.

The short answer for models is: Actually first check the references of the photographers with whom they wish to work - if they have good references, don't be offended if the photographer turns you down if you wish to bring along a chaperone as it could be taken as a slight on their respectability and nothing more sinister than that!  You have to appreciate that some photographers actually feel uncomfortable at the presence of a chaperone, while other's don't - if they are known and respected, it certainly doesn't mean that they have ulterior motives by not wanting a chaperone present.
Most respected photographers will never ask you to exceed your maximum levels but be sure to make it clear  with regard to your maximum modelling levels before you finalise the shoot. If you work with a photographer who tries to coerce you further, then simply leave the shoot! 
If you do take along a chaperone, they should never interfere with a shoot and should only be on a set at the invitation of the photographer.
Again, if you stick to working with photographers with good feedback, you shouldn't need a chaperone or have any worries so, posts like this would become almost redundant.
Tony
Posted 27 Sep 2009
Edited by tonycsm 27 Sep 2009
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Sounds like a definitive answer to me! Can we all just Copy & Paste that into any future Threads on the same subject? Or even better, if Matt could write a script so that it's automatically inserted into any Thread or Profile including the word C******** then that would save us all a lot of time. And head-banging. Dave.
Posted 27 Sep 2009
whicker
Photographer
whicker
smithmyster

I have not seen one reason on here why a model should not be able to take a chaperone to a shoot.

If you've read the other chaperone threads, you will see reasons.

For sure, you may not agree with all the reasons- but never the less, many reasons- many of which are totally valid- are given in those threads.

There are arguements for chaperones, and agruements against. Please be open minded and considered both.
Posted 27 Sep 2009
Batch
Model
Batch
Badger

I think that there is a slight difference between the checkout at Tescos, and a young model in her underwear, on her own with just a tog in a studio.

I hav no problems whatsoever with chaperones.

Trevor

I agree, like a nice young female goes to a photographer for the first time, that she isn't entirely sure about, I think a chaperone would be needed, I think most would agree that even just for the first time shooting with a new photographer would it not be sensible to bring someone? I would of thought it would be common sence.

I have been asked to come along for someone who is meeting a complete stranger for some foot modeling. I know that even thought the guy wouldn't of done anything anyway, how would she of known that?

The only reason i can agree with, is bring Boyfriends around... so that if and when a photographer was to ask to pose a certain way, or dress in .... nothing, the boyfriend would maybe kick off even if the model did not mind..
Posted 8 Nov 2009
Edited by Batch 8 Nov 2009
We don't want photographers to think we don't trust them. but when you see in the paper that a teacher was actually a paedo or that an officer tried to rape a woman, it makes us think, if you can't trust them who can you trust... we'd just rather not have to worry about what COULD happen to us meeting the wrong person... Lets face it, it has happened in the past, but its nothing personal to any of you... my partner is always at home when i shoot, makes me feel more comfortable and suppose that helps in the pics... he'll never watch but sit on the comp or ps3 unless we need the front room but usually i'll be in the bedroom... if models boyfriends are 'jealous' then the girls should either not be with them or not model. simple... My partner knows what kind of shoot i'm going to have before hand which is always to topless and he's fine with it...

Posted 13 Nov 2009
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
oh dear........

Posted 13 Nov 2009
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
tonycsm

There will always be 'chaperone posts' popping up regularly because it is such a topical and emotive issue!
Personally speaking, I don't object to the presence of chaperones but, they CAN inhibit shoots at times therefore, I'd much prefer that any model with whom I had a prospective shoot, took it upon herself to actually contact other models with whom I'd worked so that they could feel assured that no harm would come to them during a shoot with me.

II can understand some model's concerns as there are lots of GWC's on forums like this who's only motivation seems to be, to get the model to take as much kit off as possible for their own gratification - this is only too evident in some profiles. However, if a photographer has lots of good feedback going back quite a while, then I don't see the need for a model to bring along a chaperone as, it is evident that they are a respected photographer and if a model still insists that she brings along a chaperone to a shoot with such a photographer, then perhaps she's in the wrong industry.

As for me, I'm not going to risk sullying my reputation for any female, no matter whether they are fully clothed or nude - my interests are purely in the aesthetics of the shoot as I'm sure is the case of most other respectable photographers. In any case, I have a young and very attractive partner who is far prettier than many models on these forums so, I can see an attractive female body at any time and she doesn't need a chaperone with me. emoticon
I will shoot with models who wish to bring along a chaperone but, I will only do so when my partner is also available to monitor the model's chaperone, so it gets a bit complicated and restricts the opportunities to work with these models.
Recently I read a post from a relative newbie, who at the bottom of her profile wrote " I always bring along a chaperone as there are all kinds of pervs out there" - now I don't know about other photographers but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable working with a girl like that even if she did bring along a chaperone.

The short answer for models is: Actually first check the references of the photographers with whom they wish to work - if they have good references, don't be offended if the photographer turns you down if you wish to bring along a chaperone as it could be taken as a slight on their respectability and nothing more sinister than that!  You have to appreciate that some photographers actually feel uncomfortable at the presence of a chaperone, while other's don't - if they are known and respected, it certainly doesn't mean that they have ulterior motives by not wanting a chaperone present.
Most respected photographers will never ask you to exceed your maximum levels but be sure to make it clear  with regard to your maximum modelling levels before you finalise the shoot. If you work with a photographer who tries to coerce you further, then simply leave the shoot! 
If you do take along a chaperone, they should never interfere with a shoot and should only be on a set at the invitation of the photographer.
Again, if you stick to working with photographers with good feedback, you shouldn't need a chaperone or have any worries so, posts like this would become almost redundant.
Tony

Great post Tony - spot on. The importance of references seems so often overlooked.
Posted 13 Nov 2009
Stibnite
Photographer
Stibnite
SMILESPHOTO

Great post Tony - spot on. The importance of references seems so often overlooked.

Not as often as the importance of common sense emoticon

Posted 13 Nov 2009
Batch
Model
Batch
corallam

We don't want photographers to think we don't trust them. but when you see in the paper that a teacher was actually a paedo or that an officer tried to rape a woman, it makes us think, if you can't trust them who can you trust... we'd just rather not have to worry about what COULD happen to us meeting the wrong person... Lets face it, it has happened in the past, but its nothing personal to any of you... my partner is always at home when i shoot, makes me feel more comfortable and suppose that helps in the pics... he'll never watch but sit on the comp or ps3 unless we need the front room but usually i'll be in the bedroom... if models boyfriends are 'jealous' then the girls should either not be with them or not model. simple... My partner knows what kind of shoot i'm going to have before hand which is always to topless and he's fine with it...

its a good point but, With teachers and officers, your more likely to trust them because of the qualifications they have to have to be in the job... Yes alot of photographers have done the college course and things, but some have not. I'm not saying all people that haven't done the course and/or do it as a hobby is someone that is going to try anything, but at the same time you don't know them. So I would of thought just for first time meeting a chaperone might not be so bad. My partner also does art nude and things, and there has been an occasion where I have just joined in as well. I'm fine with it, at the end of the day, it's up to her what she wants to do, but I'd still rather go with her to a shoot, just for the security, because you never know and I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Of course, with using purestorm you can check the feedback and if they have a lot of good feedback dating back fairly far. there isn't any reason not to trust them.
Posted 13 Nov 2009
Edited by Batch 13 Nov 2009
Fantasyalbum
Photographer
Fantasyalbum
vipimages

oh dear........

oh dear indeed.
Posted 13 Nov 2009
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
I love going to shoots alone!
Posted 13 Nov 2009
stea
Photographer
stea
I always suggest at least 3 chaperones because once aroused I am very powerful and take some stopping

Posted 11 July 2010
It seems this conversation has now been locked