Baroness Thatcher (retitled)

Baroness Thatcher (retitled)

348 posts
8 April 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
stolenfaces

It's ironic that on here the same people bleating about their inability to earn any money from photography are often the same people that think the unholy alliance of Thatcher and Murdock did society a favour by smashing the power of the unions. So now publications won't pay for stuff which the NUJ used to be able to demand that everyone was paid a reasonable rate and that jolly amateurs couldn't undercut those who needed to feed their children by getting their photos published.

Or it's ironic that alot of the anti-Thatcher brigade portfoilos are stuck in 1985 laugh

Posted 9 April 2013
tim_reder
Photographer
tim_reder
Rather embarrassing that you should discuss portfolios of Anti-Thatcherites being stuck in 1985. This lady was stuck in the 19th century and culturally in no age at all. If you watched her discussing the art she appreciated in a 10 Downing Street interview all but the most moronic of her followers - of which there were and are many - had to cringe.

Posted 9 April 2013
Edited by tim_reder 9 April 2013
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
I feel privileged to have been alive and of voting age when Maggie came to power. Having been subject to the Union tyranny in my early working life, I rejoiced when we elected a leader with the balls to take on the jumped up self important union barons.

It amuses me that all you trotsky lefties who are berating her, actually believe the things you're coming out with. She single handedly crushed ALL manufacturing in this Country? Really? You clearly don't remember the shit state the nation was in before she came to power. I do and whilst I mourn her passing I will also enjoy remembering all the good she did.

I'm off to watch youtube videos of her wiping the floor with Kinnock at PMQ's, handbagging the WEAK euro lot and her cleverly thought out put downs to those who were trying to slate her.

R.I.P. Mrs T and I will raise my glass in your memory next Wednesday.

Posted 9 April 2013
tim_reder
Photographer
tim_reder
Pompeytog,
So ignorant and stupid to accuse people who are critical of Thatcher as Trotsykite. The unions were desperate need of change. The unions were central in bringing rights and relative wealth to national workforce but had been hijacked by people who only wanted confrontation and were attacking the democratic rights of those they were meant to be representing. However, that doesn't excuse the her vicious attack on the those workforces. She then dragged this country through the mud as patients were left to wait untreated for long periods, beaurocracy increased 10 fold as she set up over 900 quangos made up of Tory party supporters, public transport in London came to a stand still as she cut off maintenance work. My list can run to hundreds of the most awful and destructive policies. Least patriotic PM of all time selling off Britain's assets to foreign concerns, whilst pretending to support this country by displays of crass and offensive jingoism.

Posted 9 April 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
pompeytog

I do and whilst I mourn her passing I will also enjoy remembering all the good she did. I'm off to watch youtube videos of her wiping the floor with Kinnock at PMQ's, handbagging the WEAK euro lot and her cleverly thought out put downs to those who were trying to slate her. R.I.P. Mrs T and I will raise my glass in your memory next Wednesday.

Yes, pompeytog, I would encourage everybody who has not watched her on youtube to watch her "performances" in Parliament. I am still shocked and appalled at just how she behaves. I thought she was awful at the time, but over 20 years on, I now find her utterly beyond belief. The worst kind of snobby arrogant Oxbridge Tory woman of the very old school. Ghastly!

Anyway, this is just the rantings of a "looney leftie". (According to a previous post.)  Maybe I should emigrate to Ireland where she is really universally despised and the car horns are still celebrating her death?! I am not celebrating her death. I am just trying to cope with all the stories about her being so great and so wonderful. I disagree!   

Posted 9 April 2013
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
pompeytog

It amuses me that all you trotsky lefties who are berating her, actually believe the things you're coming out with.

Oi! Don't forget us Anarchists.

Dave

Posted 9 April 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
From the Daily Mail website-

"...Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has called for a one-minute silence in honour of Baroness Margaret Thatcher.
The former Prime Minister died yesterday, aged 87 after suffering a stroke.
Whelan, whose Wigan side face Millwall in their FA Cup semi-final clash on Saturday, believes football fans should pay their respects to the deceased prime Minister."

Oh come on! A one minute silence at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final against Millwall?! Will this be strictly observed?!

Posted 9 April 2013
stevet
Photographer
stevet
a minutes silence at a football match he is havin a surprisesurprisesurprise
Posted 9 April 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
If people think that 'unions' represent an unelected and undemocratic concentration of power......maybe they can explain banking....utilities....the rail services...I could go on.

Thatcher did some good things on the world stage...but I suspect history will also show that she was responsible for setting up the mechanisms now leading to the inevitable decline of the UK first because she made it possible for 'her kind of people' to prosper at the expense of the rest...then it will be shown that her kind of people have little interest in what happens to the UK as a whole...or the rest.

Worse....she has ensured the country will always be Tory.....Tory 'Lite' under Blair....Tory nasty under Cameron...not sure what version of Toryism Milliband will bring in....it will be some version. I say that because all parties now subscribe to some version of consumerism that clearly isn't viable in a global market on a globe with rapidly diminishing finite resources.

Before anyone jumps in..I have never voted Labour as I see all the current political parties as contributing to the decline of the UK, and the ever increasing gap between the 'haves' and the rest. I did vote for Heath....I thought he was a decent person. I didn't like his party however...still don't...worst of a very bad bunch in my opinion.

Posted 9 April 2013
tocopubs
Photographer
tocopubs
carshaltonkev
From the Daily Mail website- "...Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has called for a one-minute silence in honour of Baroness Margaret Thatcher. The former Prime Minister died yesterday, aged 87 after suffering a stroke. Whelan, whose Wigan side face Millwall in their FA Cup semi-final clash on Saturday, believes football fans should pay their respects to the deceased prime Minister." Oh come on! A one minute silence at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final against Millwall?! Will this be strictly observed?!
This has to be the greatest irony. Is he having a laugh? Thatcher wanted to bring in ID cards for ANYONE going to a football match. This was on the recommendation of one David Evans, an extremely right-wing loadsamoney businessman who became a Tory MP and one of Thatcher's greatest champions. Evans was also chairman of Luton Town FC. The recommendation followed the riot that followed Millwall's FA Cup game at Luton in 1985. Thatcher was keen to take it up -- and bash ordinary honest-to-goodness football fans from going to a game into the bargain. Even the police said the scheme was unfair and unworkable. Ted Croker (I believe), Secretary of the FA, told Thatcher infamously at a meeting over the plan: "Our clubs don't want your hooligans in our grounds." The scheme was dropped. Evans, of course, took up the cudgel himself and banned all away supporters from Kenilworth Road, turning it into an impenetrable fortress. Luton Town, then an old First Division (now Premiership) team, played every home game to a distinct advantage. Added to which they installed a notorious plastic pitch, giving them even greater advantage. Prior to all this I recall attending a game at Kenilworth Road on a neutral part of the terracing back in the old Second Division. I witnessed some of the worst thuggery I've experienced at a game -- dished out by Luton's lovely fans towards any opposing supporter who happend to be standing there.
Posted 9 April 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
Interestingly, when the Labour Party Leader, John Smith, died young of a heart attack in 1994, I cannot recall one bad word was ever said about him. Even John Major, Prime Minister, cried when he heard the news. John Smith was so respected.

OK John Smith had not been in power, but the contrast with the death of Margaret Thatcher is total.

(I dare say some people given half a chance people would label John Smith a looney leftie?! Hopefully not!)

Posted 9 April 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
carshaltonkev
Interestingly, when the Labour Party Leader, John Smith, died young of a heart attack in 1994, I cannot recall one bad word was ever said about him. OK John Smith had not been in power, but the contrast with the death of Margaret Thatcher is total.
What was it Churchill said about making enemies? Something to do with actually achieving something wasn't it? John Smith died well before he had time to prove himself (and **** up a few times on the way)
Posted 9 April 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
carshaltonkev

Anyway, this is just the rantings of a "looney leftie". (According to a previous post.)  Maybe I should emigrate to Ireland where she is really universally despised and the car horns are still celebrating her death?! I am not celebrating her death. I am just trying to cope with all the stories about her being so great and so wonderful. I disagree!   

So the Irish ( or Falls Rd part of Belfast) are celebrating her death. A bit like when certain countries were out in the street celebrating the attack on 9/11.
With this your point is completely invalid, or maybe it just proves there are some nasty evil muppets around (including on here)

Posted 9 April 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
I am not celebrating Margaret Thatcher's death. I certainly do not think that it is the right thing to do.  

However there are many people out there who are celebrating her death. There can be few Prime Ministers ever that have stirred up such depth of hostile feelings, even over 20 years after being in power.

I remember the utter chaos of the Poll Tax. I was taken to court for non payment even though I had paid every time. My council was in such a state of admin chaos. I had to pay a fine even though I had paid. Outrageous. I am still angry about it over 20 years on. She might have stood for all that I despise, but I will not celebrate her death.
Posted 9 April 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
The vitriolic "I spit on your grave" remarks about Thatcher that are being found all over the place, the celebration of her death, are things I find quite remarkable. Compared with Tony Bliar she was a perfect saint. He wrecked the economy of this country selling our tomorrows to buy his todays. The man is a mass murdering war criminal who is a traitor to the working class, his party, and his country. He even put his God on hold until he had finished his machinations to dump the problems on his gurning fool of a deputy. He is making millions in safety while the wreckage of this country goes down the pan.

Thatcher's policies were so bad that when Labour got in they reversed all of her policies. Well, no, they didn't, did they. When Bliar chose to rename the party 'New Labour' he should have been more honest and called it "New Tories". Bliar's subsequent success was due in no small measure to the fact that the Conservatives could not cope with being turned into the left wing.

This outpouring of bile is nothing more than the reverse of what happened with Princess Diana's funeral. Public hysteria of the proles, with as little justification.

P.S.
Someone mentioned ID cards. Those of you that have a driving licence, take it out and examine it. There is nothing on the small card that could not be printed on the big sheet, and yet you are required to produce both at any time a driving licence needs to be seen. The small card is an ID card people. Just waiting in the wings for the right moment.

Posted 9 April 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join