Chaperones

It seems this conversation has now been locked
176 posts
3 Aug 2011
whicker
Photographer
whicker
To be honest, for all this talk one way and another, the reaility is most photographers don't want chaperoned models (for many reasons,) and have no reason to work with models who insist on bringing them. If you are a model who is wanting to make a career out of modelling, or do it as a part time job, then thats the reality of it.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
SerenDigital
Photographer
SerenDigital
Gordon
One thing that is food for thought do any photographers take a chaperone with them when they do a shoot in a models home, the reason I say that is I'm disabled and could easily be overpowered by most female models.

I'm about a foot shorter and a considerably amount lighter than most of the models I shoot and could easily be overpowered, beaten and raped by them.  Yet I don't feel the need to take a chaperone with me to models homes or when they come to my home.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
whicker

To be honest, for all this talk one way and another, the reaility is most photographers don't want chaperoned models (for many reasons,) and have no reason to work with models who insist on bringing them. If you are a model who is wanting to make a career out of modelling, or do it as a part time job, then thats the reality of it.

The reality is that there has been a mixed response on this post, and that this does not reflect the whole industry. The reality is that there  will always be a mixed opinion.  Why try to force others to think your way, let them find their own way indecision
Posted 6 Aug 2011
Ken_Smith

At what point in its 4.5 billion year history was the world a safe place...    

In the beginning..............................

Posted 6 Aug 2011
mph
Photographer
mph
PUNKuate

I'm worrying then? If someone needs a lift, fair enough, they can drop them off, help them in with their bags and leave, there's no need to hang around. If they are getting their makeup done, I highly doubt the makeup artist wants the model chatting to her boyfriend.

That was my main point actually - as I don't have a studio or use make up artists!
Posted 6 Aug 2011
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford

my thoughts:

models that are uneasy around photographers should consider doing taking another shoot where chaparones are welcome
(i generally dont do chaparones on shoots - its my preference - i've lost 2 shoots so far for that reason,
so no big deal, i just booked a different model and the model looked for a different photographer.

who chaparones your chaparone? bringing an 18stone hairy arsed chaparone in that has just
been released on remand for aggravated assault/gbh/theft into my space may not exactly make me
feel relaxed and at ease either. honestly, that's true! i'd want to see references for your
chaparone - and that includes if its a relative friend partner or "other" relationship.

idea:
use the phone as a virtual chaparone. ensure the model has a fully charged mobile phone.
tell them to receive a call from a friend every 30 mins, 1 hour (whatever interval suits them).
the friend could be waiting around the corner, or anywhere.

if the friend doesnt get a response, the friend calls:
1 the studio phone,
2. he photographers own mobile.

if after those 3 numbers are called
no response FROM THE MODEL him/her-self (not the photogapher) is received, they call the police and
have them come around to the studio to find out what is wrong.

i have suggested the above to models who have accepted that no physical chaparone
will be present at the shoot, and i'd take a break/rest every 30 mins anyway so thats
an ideal time for the call to be received by the model.
texts obviously dont work as anyone could respond
to a text, it has to be a voice call to ensure the model is safe.
a photographer that refused that kind of call-in system i'd be wary of unless
they dont like phone calls being received whilst shooting.

i did have one model send a series of numbers every 1/2 hour approx. the numbers
were pre arranged and memorised by the model. if the numbers received were wrong,
the friend was to call for help. i never knew what numbers were being sent, and
didnt care, but if one forgets the next number in the sequence the obvious will happen.

the above obviously wont stop anything happening if the photographer is that way inclined,
but would be so off putting to someone with an agenda that they'd probably not want to
hire the model anyway, so you'd be kept safe.

bottom line is: dont do anything you feel uncomfortable with.
if that means losing a shoot due to no-chaparone rules, then lose the shoot and
book with someone else.

if you feel comfortable with a photographer's photographs
and feedback, then take that into the equation.

its a capitalist and free society so they say,
so if you dont want to earn the money from a
photographer with rules you dont like,
go to a different photographer.

be safe out there.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
PUNKuate
Photographer
PUNKuate
*sigh*

Posted 6 Aug 2011
click_gotcha

Not on my shoot you wouldn't, your giggle partner's arse would be in the waiting room.

That would never happen even if I was in it for fun I would still be looking to create quality images

I spent over a year only doing TF when I started, I had people come along to shoots with me (albeit not often) - not once did I spend my time giggling and having a laugh with the "chaperone". What I'm saying is if you are a hobbiest photographer who is doing photography to - Meet people, get some nice images and generally just have some fun then it shouldn't make a difference if the model brings someone along.. Rather than looking at the negatives why not look at it another way - the model is giggling its a perfect opportunity to get a nice natural smile which is often hard for someone to get especially if the model may feel uneasy about being there.

I do most of my shoots on location - extra sets of hands are usually a bonus - most people I work with think this way, sadly we don't discuss it before the shoot so fairly often photographers have said "Damn if I knew Rory was off work today I would have suggested he come along!!" -  Like I said I have never asked to have someone along to a shoot, I like it if there are extra "eyes" - that doesn't necessarily mean my partner that could be the photographers wife or a second photographer. Then again I am pretty laid back - I work hard on shoots but usually best in an informal type setting. If shoots were all formal and strict with a massive set of guidelines and rules then it wouldn't be as much fun for me and the day shoots stop being a positive experience for me is the day I stop doing it.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Chrissie_Red

That would never happen even if I was in it for fun I would still be looking to create quality images

What I'm saying is if you are a hobbiest photographer who is doing photography to - Meet people, get some nice images and generally just have some fun then it shouldn't make a difference if the model brings someone along..

I am, I do and it doesn't.

Bring who you want but they stay in the waiting room. 

Location is different.   I can understand why a girl half my age who I've never met before wants someone with her when she's half naked in the middle of nowhere.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
click_gotcha

I am, I do and it doesn't.

Bring who you want but they stay in the waiting room. 

Location is different.   I can understand why a girl half my age who I've never met before wants someone with her when she's half naked in the middle of nowhere.

You don't get me though, my reason for preferring someone else there is not down to older photographers or the fact we are strangers it just seems more "convenient" for there to be someone else around acting as a look out - wether that one of my friends or the photographers is irrelevant to me. Like I said if people are at all unsure about being alone with someone then they shouldn't take on the shoot because it will result in a model looking "unsure" which isn't a good look.

Nothing bad has ever happened to me out on location (touch wood it never does). Infact I find location work safer because it feels less intimate to me somehow..
Posted 6 Aug 2011
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Chrissie_Red

You don't get me though, my reason for preferring someone else there is not down to older photographers or the fact we are strangers it just seems more "convenient" for there to be someone else around acting as a look out - wether that one of my friends or the photographers is irrelevant to me. Like I said if people are at all unsure about being alone with someone then they shouldn't take on the shoot because it will result in a model looking "unsure" which isn't a good look.

Nothing bad has ever happened to me out on location (touch wood it never does). Infact I find location work safer because it feels less intimate to me somehow..

I get you better than you think. 

The whole chaperone debate is mostly irrelevant to experienced models like yourself, it's about dafties filing young models heads full of demons.  How many models have been scared off with tales about dodgy pgotographers when they  could possibly have acheived the body of work that models like yourself have?  There's really no need to fill new models heads with the idea that photographers are not to be trusted, it's the one thing that really riles me on places like this.  
Posted 6 Aug 2011
I think that if you're doing a fashion/ portrait/ lingerie or even art nude shoot then chaperones aren't as essential but if you're doing an adult shoot and you think the guy might try it on then it's not always safe to go on your own.

These days a doctor won't even give you a genital exam without a chaperone being present, (incase you accuse of false practices), so I think it's perfectly logical for a photographer to accept chaperones at least for his own safety and reputation, if not the model's.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
SerenDigital
Photographer
SerenDigital
AmethystViolet
These days a doctor won't even give you a genital exam without a chaperone being present, (incase you accuse of false practices), so I think it's perfectly logical for a photographer to accept chaperones at least for his own safety and reputation, if not the model's.

If this was the reason for the chaperone, the photographer would provide one himself/herself.

A models chaperone would be no good - they are more likely to be coconspirators.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
PUNKuate
Photographer
PUNKuate
AmethystViolet
Dunno what doctors you go to...
Posted 6 Aug 2011
PUNKuate

Dunno what doctors you go to...

I can confirm my doctors surgery do the same thing, they pull the curtain over and ask a receptionist to come into the room. Even the times my mum has been with me in the room they still get a receptionist in the room.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
It seems this conversation has now been locked