scottish referendum

scottish referendum

257 posts
14 Sep 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
click_gotcha

The EU have said they will give an answer but can only give it to the member state ie the UK.

Don't you think that the answer would have been leaked by someone by now if it's already been given?

Scotland is only a member of the EU while it's part of the Union which holds membership.... an independent Scotland would NOT be part of the Union and therefore treated like any other state wishing to join the EU as a new member.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
tonycsm

Don't you think that the answer would have been leaked by someone by now if it's already been given?

Scotland is only a member of the EU while it's part of the Union which holds membership.... an independent Scotland would NOT be part of the Union and therefore treated like any other state wishing to join the EU as a new member.

The answer hasn't been given because the UK government refused to ask the question.

As for the rest, that is your opinion, the reality remains to be seen.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
click_gotcha

The answer hasn't been given because the UK government refused to ask the question.

As for the rest, that is your opinion, the reality remains to be seen.

This article, just published on the BBC reads as a 'no' from the Spanish to me, and it makes it clear in the article that Scotland would need Spain's approval to become a member.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
RedChecker

This article, just published on the BBC reads as a 'no' from the Spanish to me, and it makes it clear in the article that Scotland would need Spain's approval to become a member.

It reads like a scare story to me.   Scotland has the largest fishing stocks in the EU, some 20% of all EU fish stock.   Spain has the largest fishing fleet in the EU.   Scotland also has 60% of all oil in the EU.

Aye, they won't want us.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Spain doesn't care what Scotland has, it's more concerned about itself being split up and thus further weakening its position in both Europe and the world stage.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
RedChecker

Spain doesn't care what Scotland has, it's more concerned about itself being split up and thus further weakening its position in both Europe and the world stage.

And you think they'll sacrifice their fishing fleet for that?

Posted 17 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
click_gotcha

And you think they'll sacrifice their fishing fleet for that?

Eh?
Posted 17 Sep 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
RedChecker
WMDs may seem a waste of money but they are an effective symbol of power and allow us to sit at the table with the big boys (namely the US, Russia and China), without them we wouldn't get a look in and our political influence around the world would be greatly diminished.
UK haven't been sitting on the tables with the big boys for a long while. Since the end of WW2 UK has been sitting on the laps of the US. I know the UK is suppose to be one of the 5 permanent vetoing power of the UN but how often does it vote against the US but do everything the US says. As long as the UK minus Scotland does everything the USofA says their position at the UN remains unchange.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
Edited by Chandos 17 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
It will be interesting to see what happens if the details still to be worked out (like EU membership, currency, debt etc. etc.)are unacceptable to Salmon (in the event of a Yes vote)
Posted 17 Sep 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
right, since i started the thread it's time with hours to go to state my thinking
I was until two weeks ago a definate No vote, but having listened to the shite from the mouths of tory millionaires who's ass is now on the line, i am like Ian said, about to give them the big finger  and deliver my yes vote.

I figure if it is a no vote then we will pay the price rather than get all the non existant promises being spouted about just  now, basically "right we got you know take this you arseholes", so if i'm going to be getting ****ed over in the coming years id rather it be by my own countrymen and not a bunch of Westminster mobsters.

as mentioned, if it is a yes vote its thanks to the stupid threesome 
Posted 17 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I hated the idea of Scotland leaving the UK but listening to the vitriol against the rest of the UK by the Yes campaign I am coming to the conclusion the best thing for all concerned is a Yes vote. Let Scotland have the govt it deserves.

That said, I resent the idea that approx 4% of the UK population can decide the future prospects of the remaining 96%....and I wonder how Scots in general (especially the large numbers working in other parts of the UK and the EU)...and the half of those in Scotland who vote No....will think and react.

There is no doubt that if the Yes vote wins Scotland will go its own way against the wishes of the majority of the Scottish people.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Just about the only certainty is that even if Scotland chooses to remain in the UK the 55 million voters outside Scotland will have just a single abiding memory of the whole debacle - Scotland giving them two fingers. Consequently the last thing those voters are going to want is for Scotland to get further benefits at a cost to the rest of the UK. So anything the politicians promise to deliver on the back of a NO vote is about as durable as a chocolate teapot. It's all gone too far and the rest of the UK is moving rapidly towards thinking it's best if Scotland goes. And clearly the UK politicians are out of step with that developing mood. At some point there has to be a reality check but it may already be too late.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 17 Sep 2014
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Perhaps I am alone in thinking this BUT it seems to me that the vote tomorrow whatever the result is just the beginning of a set of discussions, debates and decisions that will leave a significant proportion of the population of this island dissatisfied, and angry with their neighbours and will not bode well for anyone. I hope for great statesmanship from our leaders of ALL parties but do not expect to see any. To have reached the current position is in my mind a tragedy.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
photostore
right, since i started the thread it's time with hours to go to state my thinking I was until two weeks ago a definate No vote, but having listened to the shite from the mouths of tory millionaires who's ass is now on the line, i am like Ian said, about to give them the big finger  and deliver my yes vote. I figure if it is a no vote then we will pay the price rather than get all the non existant promises being spouted about just  now, basically "right we got you know take this you arseholes", so if i'm going to be getting ****ed over in the coming years id rather it be by my own countrymen and not a bunch of Westminster mobsters. as mentioned, if it is a yes vote its thanks to the stupid threesome 
Interesting that while you are being ****ed by Westminster your unemployment figures are apparently the best in the UK - and better than London.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
NormP
Photographer
NormP
Whatever happens tomorrow Salmon will have acheived one of his political goals - the disintigration of the UK.
If yes - then Wales and N Ireland will want the same - McGuiness already making comments and we all know where that will ultimately lead.
If no - then again W and NI will want a share of whatever "goodies" are going Scotlands way

The only sure thing is that we are in for a turbulent couple of years with no guarantees anyone will be a winner. Only hope if it's no then we don't get extremists causing problems.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join