Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has...

Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has died a death ?

178 posts
21 Jan 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
BrazenDivas

Absolutely no problem with the tone of my emails either - but a fairly typical response from Mr J

Please forgive my ignorance, but who is 'Mr J'  - sorry to be so stupid  - thank you 

Posted 24 Jan 2014
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
SandyCamel
Please forgive my ignorance, but who is 'Mr J'  - sorry to be so stupid  - thank you 
No problem - it's Red Checker
Posted 24 Jan 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
BrazenDivas

No problem - it's Red Checker

Ah, thank you !  Really appreciated.

Posted 24 Jan 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
PHP_Photography

Nah, NSFW is Not Safe For Wife

i wish i could "LIKE" this hahaha cheeky
Posted 24 Jan 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Chrissie_Red

thanks Iconic <3

You know I always liked you! 

angel

Posted 24 Jan 2014
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
Oh, stop it you two, you're choking me up.

Posted 24 Jan 2014
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
The lack of models interested in shooting for free is something being reported on all the sites, not just here. This may be partly due to the economy and partly due to the huge surplus of photographers looking for TF shoots and the increased willingness of good photographers to pay for models (+ give then some edits) in order to secure shoots.

Responses to castings on here and MM seemed to have dropped significantly over the last few years. This seems to indicate fewer models actively using the site or less models using PS as their primary site. A quick scan of the number of recent references for some Platinum model members on here seems to indicate a lot of these models are getting more references on other sites than here (and by inference more bookings on other sites). The number of premium model members has dropped on here by around 30% over the last couple of years. This could be related to the lack of new models who have good experiences on here and decide to upgrade.

It does appear that models who join here do seem to have a lot of bad experiences compared to other sites. One recent example which illustrates this : http://themaskedmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/more-on-modelling-sites.html
There does appear to be a number of "photographers" who are systematically undermining this site by contacting new models with "dodgy" offers. These people need to be rooted out and removed if this site is to have future success.
Posted 25 Jan 2014
Edited by tarmoo 25 Jan 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
tarmoo
The lack of models interested in shooting for free is something being reported on all the sites, not just here. This may be partly due to the economy and partly due to the huge surplus of photographers looking for TF shoots and the increased willingness of good photographers to pay for models (+ give then some edits) in order to secure shoots. Responses to castings on here and MM seemed to have dropped significantly over the last few years. This seems to indicate fewer models actively using the site or less models using PS as their primary site. A quick scan of the number of recent references for some Platinum model members on here seems to indicate a lot of these models are getting more references on other sites than here (and by inference more bookings on other sites). The number of premium model members has dropped on here by around 30% over the last couple of years. This could be related to the lack of new models who have good experiences on here and decide to upgrade. It does appear that models who join here do seem to have a lot of bad experiences compared to other sites. One recent example which illustrates this : http://themaskedmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/more-on-modelling-sites.html There does appear to be a number of "photographers" who are systematically undermining this site by contacting new models with "dodgy" offers. These people need to be rooted out and removed if this site is to have future success.
As the masked model actually says, dodgy offers may be irritating, but they are easily dismissed. It's the dodgy people who appear bone fide in on-site communication but start level-pushing or worse on the day of the shoot that are the real problem. This site does at least as much as anyone to weed those people out, probably more, so ironically for all the spam a model may get on this site, she is at least as safe here, if not more so,
Posted 25 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I still maintain the largest source of paid work on model sites such as this is older men with high(ish) disposable incomes.....all the economic news indicates there has been a continuous squeeze on disposable income lasting five years now, so it would follow that the amount of money men have to spend on photographing models has also declined. Not for all, but even if just 10% can no longer afford it that is still a lot less paid work for models.

As those same people probably belong to several sites it probably becomes a question of where those that still have money to spend are actually spending it. Some here have argued that the money follows the models and the models have departed....I still think models follow the money and site owners should be aware of that and develop their sites accordingly.

As things stand I suspect most people on here belong to several sites and treat the lot as a single resource....in which case, why would it matter for most people how well any particular site does relative to the others?...other than those people that primarily view the site as social site and are unhappy with their user experience in that context.

Posted 25 Jan 2014
anthonyh

Not for all, but even if just 10% can no longer afford it that is still a lot less paid work for models. As those same people probably belong to several sites it probably becomes a question of where those that still have money to spend are actually spending it. Some here have argued that the money follows the models and the models have departed...

I'm not sure if its less photographers - I actually think its more models, compared to when I started out  - especially those who tour (or maybe I just didn't notice many of them back then). I remember about 3 models who regurlarly toured Scotland (and by regular I mean  2-3 times a year) now there is a model here every other week. So maybe there are more models who are trying to make a living out of it than there was before?

Posted 25 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Chrissie_Red
I'm not sure if its less photographers - I actually think its more models, compared to when I started out  - especially those who tour (or maybe I just didn't notice many of them back then). I remember about 3 models who regurlarly toured Scotland (and by regular I mean  2-3 times a year) now there is a model here every other week. So maybe there are more models who are trying to make a living out of it than there was before?
I suspect there are more modes as well.....or girls that have heard that internet modeling is an easy way to earn some spare cash and are trying their luck!
Posted 25 Jan 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
I remember PS use to a have a feature model of the week on its landing page and I get a sense that every models want to be feature model on this site.
Times have changed and the momentum has shifted to a rival site just as Net-Model had shifted to PS a while ago.
Maybe time for a name change? I would like to have seen a video option for members profile.

Posted 25 Jan 2014
Edited by Chandos 25 Jan 2014
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
Chrissie_Red

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  There are a number of models who have listened to touring models' experiences and decided that it's a good way to increase their income.  You have to be highly motivated and organised to do it, but with social networking, iphones etc it is easier to do than just 10 years ago.  Recently a touring model cancelled her shoot with me because she hadn't enough bookings to make it worth her while.

The number of models applying for my castings from just three years ago has fallen from about 30+ to 5+.   I just don't think there's the paid work around to keep a large number of part time models interested.

p.s. I like the term "older men", dislike the term "old men".  And yes I qualify, and yes I do spend a lot of money on photography each year, and purely as a hobby.smiley
Posted 25 Jan 2014
Edited by johnlp 25 Jan 2014
I dont think this site has much difference in "traffic" than other sites to be honest. Sites appear busy when people have loads of refs in the space of a short time, often because of a single studio day and many photographers and models all shooting the same day...then weeks go by with nothing being arranged at all. Why is this? Well I always say, if you want something to blame, be a proud Brit and blame the weather! I get many requests for location shoots even now and have to politely decline the happy moments of being photographed with a river bank about to burst behind me, a howling gale shaking the trees, or a wirlwind shooting up over field....I believe the only people really making money in internet modelling are those who shoot from home (no travel expenses, studio expenses) but you cannot obviously do that if you flatshare/houseshare and either lack privacy or space or light...or shoot from studios with clients footing the bills of the studios and full teams. Otherwise its a hobby, which is becoming more and more seasonal. Its climate change...every time you arrange a location shoot there is a storm and you have to cancel, and most likely its been arranged on your day off work so you cannot rearrange soon after, and then, hey presto, your into school holidays and all the public areas completely overrun, if your even lucky enough to find a parking space free to get out to the fresh air! This is a seasonal business, January weather is awful, and everyone is broke after Christmas...other months see everyone busy on ALL the sites...i recall Spring/Summer with all the lovely flowers being busy until September (lovely light) then after that it all tails off and grinds to a hault until the following summer unless you are a studio owner...or dont mind walking around in a beautiful dress trailing in the stinking mud for that glorious "dip-dye effect"

Posted 25 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
If I was an ambitious 'new model' wondering what site to join and had just seen the FPIs on here and then on Purpleport I know which site I'd opt for at this moment in time.....and it's not this one!
Posted 25 Jan 2014
Edited by anthonyh 25 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join