It seems this conversation has now been locked
176 posts
3 Aug 2011
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
tarmoo
the vast majority of the better photographers are not keen on chaperones
The vast majority of GWC dont like chaperones either. I guess i am one of those mediocre photographers you were talking about then. I am on the fence about this chaperone thing too. I have had a model, turn up with her chaperone boyfriend who actually sat there giggling at her making her nervous. This ruined the shoot. I have also had the model more concerned about their chaperone being bored than the shoot itself. Never had a chaperone make me nervous or threaten me or try to pinch things though, so i am lucky in that respect (or bigger than them). But on the flip side i have had chaperones help by... hold the hosepipe (in my rain shot on my profile) and a strobe on the end of a monopod in the trees (on the woodland photo in my profile). I couldnt have took these photos without their help. There are good points and bad points, and i would rather not have chaperones there, but wont cancel a shoot if the model insisted that they bring one.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
dinesh

The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

At what point in its 4.5 billion year history was the world a safe place...    
Posted 6 Aug 2011
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
I have done thousands of shoots and experienced two shoots which had negative effects due to chaperones - I am sure that you have a bad day in any and every job, so therefore I am totally indifferent to chaperones. I have also also had bad experiences due to many other factors unrelated to chaperones.

I am aware it works for me - I also accept it doesn't for some others.

Why do people think their way should be gospel?

Why can't they just state on their profiles "chaperones welcome" or "NO chaperones please"

Simple, everybody knows the score, and no need for these never-ending arguements.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
click_gotcha

There are loads of good reasons to refuse chaperones, they get in the way, the model giggles and looks at him/her every 2 minutes, you cannot get a rapport going with the model, you can't watch what he/she is up to behind you while you are concentrating on taking shots.  Models do not need someone in the same room as them while they are shooting.    

The sensible precaution is to leave your chaperone outside and get on with the shoot, it's the reason you are there.

The more sensible precaution is to just work with a real model who doesn't spend shooting time giggling or acting unprofessional? perhaps.. but if your going for newbies or shooting lots of tf then this is a risk you have to take - the unprofessional behaviour or their need to bring someone along to every shoot they do. 

I tell you what if I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the shits and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would. If someone wants a professional model they book a professional model. I'm really rather glad most of the people I work with are down to earth and don't mind having fun on a shoot rather than havign a stick up their arse.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
Chrissie_Red

I don't know why its such a big deal - If you are a model and like having a chaperone for WHATEVER reason you want one (other than safety because If you don't trust the person or feel comfortable DONT take on the bloody shoot) then just don't work with photographers who are totally against chaperones. I wouldn't want to work with someone who is totally against it so much so he screams about it all the time or posts big I HATE CHAPERONES IF YOU WANT TO BRING ONE PISS OFF type messages on their profiles. Treat everyone as an individual, not all chaperones are stealing, overprotective boyfriends just like all photographers are not perverts waiting to pounce on models. Common sense people.. I have to admit though I don't need to put anything on my profile about chaperons, its not discussed unless the photographer asks if Rory wants to come then it doesn't get discussed. I have went to shoots and found myself with not chaperons but extra people around - sometimes 3 or 4 other random people, I don't automatically think "I wish I had brought back up" I just get on with what I am there to do which is model. Most serious models would be more pissed off if their chaperone misbehaves than the photographer would be!

+1
Posted 6 Aug 2011
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Chrissie_Red

I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the shits and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would.

Not on my shoot you wouldn't, your giggle partner's arse would be in the waiting room.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
Photogenic
Photographer
Photogenic
Chrissie_Red

The more sensible precaution is to just work with a real model who doesn't spend shooting time giggling or acting unprofessional? perhaps.. but if your going for newbies or shooting lots of tf then this is a risk you have to take - the unprofessional behaviour or their need to bring someone along to every shoot they do. 

I tell you what if I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the shits and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would. If someone wants a professional model they book a professional model. I'm really rather glad most of the people I work with are down to earth and don't mind having fun on a shoot rather than havign a stick up their arse.

Chrissie we don't always agree but i think we respect each others opinion. But i pay almost all of my (professional/experienced) models and you are right in the comments you make here.

A shoot should be fun and down to earth and that will show in the pictures.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
TMG
Photographer
TMG
Chrissie_Red

I've shot one model who was in it for the shits and the giggles and who brought someone along. Fuck doing that again. Having a laugh on a shoot is one thing, entertaining someone who sees it as a way to while away a few hours that would otherwise be spent in boredom is another.  If I can put them off with a few notes on my profile, so much the better.
If I put someone off who would have been great to shoot with - which I realise I might  well do - then that's genuinely regrettable. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
mph
Photographer
mph
I prefer not to have one there for all the usual reasons that are given. Having said that, I agreed to a boyfriend chaperone once - mainly because the model's mother was not happy though the model was.

He was perfect - wandered off, left us alone to get on with the (location) shoot.

But especially when you are quite a bit older than the model, communication is more difficult anyway and someone else there of a similar age to the model makes building a one to one relationship less likely.

On balance as self confidence is one of the qualities that are desirable in a models I think if a model does not feel comfortable with me on her own, the shoot is less likely to be a success.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
I once lost a £450 lens to an MUAs boyfriend or at least that's what I thought. Till one day a good while later I found one of my tatty camera bags that felt unusually heavy.
Let's just say it was a good job accusations were not hurled about. Also it was good to be reunited with a valued friend.
Though it has confirmed that I am going a bit do lally. Hey prospective models wanting to work with me don't be put off.
The one thing I can say about chaperones is there's never one around when you need one.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
darrinhenry
Photographer
darrinhenry
I try to compromise as much as possible. While I don't allow chaperones during the shoot itself, if a model asks I am quite happy to offer for them to meet me at my studio on a convenient date beforehand with their chaperone, or to arrive on the day with a chaperone who can stay during make up but has to leave once the shoot starts. It has been a good option that a few models have used. Has prevented any issues. I am fortunate not to have felt vulnerable during a shoot myself, but having heard quite a few worrying stories from models I try to always respect anyone who is being overly cautious as they may have very good reasons. It also helps no end that my wife is a MUA and part of my team, so is present on every shoot I do.

Posted 6 Aug 2011
mph
Photographer
mph
darrinhenry

While I don't allow chaperones during the shoot itself, if a model asks I am quite happy to offer for them to .....arrive on the day with a chaperone who can stay during make up but has to leave once the shoot starts.

And anyone who was not prepared to do that - or allow someone to deliver and collect the model would indeed be a little worrying. frown
Posted 6 Aug 2011
PUNKuate
Photographer
PUNKuate
mph
And anyone who was not prepared to do that - or allow someone to deliver and collect the model would indeed be a little worrying.
I'm worrying then? If someone needs a lift, fair enough, they can drop them off, help them in with their bags and leave, there's no need to hang around. If they are getting their makeup done, I highly doubt the makeup artist wants the model chatting to her boyfriend.
Posted 6 Aug 2011
SerenDigital
Photographer
SerenDigital
mph

And anyone who was not prepared to do that - or allow someone to deliver and collect the model would indeed be a little worrying. frown

More fuel to the fire that photographers are evil...

What is wrong with not wanting unknown strangers in your place of work?
Posted 6 Aug 2011
Cygnet
Photographer
Cygnet
Gordon
I have a policy regarding chaperones, providing I am told in advance the name of the chaperones and that they don't interfere with the shoot its fine by me. I did have one chaperone who would keep jumping up and taking photos himself and refused to stop so I ordered him to leave , I was paying for the models time. I find that a chaperone can come in handy sometime as an assistance holding items like reflectors . If a model turns up without telling me they are bringing a chaperone I refuse to let them in full stop. One thing that is food for thought do any photographers take a chaperone with them when they do a shoot in a models home, the reason I say that is I'm disabled and could easily be overpowered by most female models.
I am disabled as well, and like you could be overpowered by most models, probably even child models at that !, but no I don't take a chaperone with me. However having had some money stolen by a chaperone it made me realise how vulnerable I could be and after some thought I do not shoot with chaperones at all, yes I loose shoots because of it, but tbh I don't give a damn!
Posted 6 Aug 2011
Edited by Cygnet 6 Aug 2011
It seems this conversation has now been locked