Baroness Thatcher (retitled)

Baroness Thatcher (retitled)

348 posts
8 April 2013
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
And to those who say she ruined the country, what exactly was the state of the country when she came to power? Who was responsible for that? The unions played their part in decimating UK manufacturing with their greedy excessive demands, making the UK totally unable to compete with emerging Eastern economies that laughed at the socially legislative economic suicide we were committing. It's just too easy to blame someone else though.

Posted 8 April 2013
stevephot
Photographer
stevephot
Jackass

And to those who say she ruined the country, what exactly was the state of the country when she came to power? Who was responsible for that? The unions played their part in decimating UK manufacturing with their greedy excessive demands, making the UK totally unable to compete with emerging Eastern economies that laughed at the socially legislative economic suicide we were committing. It's just too easy to blame someone else though.

We had 70% employment in manufacturing prior to Thatcher and only 25% at the end of the tory term of power.....so intrested to know how you work that one out.
Posted 8 April 2013
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
Jackass

Yeah yeah yeah it was all the workers and the unions fault. What we needed was a really tough PM who could crush the workers and the unions and everything would be fine? Or so the right wing media would have led us to believe!

And what happened? Mass unemployment. Communities destroyed. The only thing that saved the country from economic disaster under Thatcher was North Sea oil and gas coming onstream. The timing was great for Thatcher. A get out of jail free card.

Surely only an exceptionally arrogant Prime Minister would have the audacity to bring in the Poll Tax and think that the population of the UK would tolerate taxation so blatantly unfair that the dirt poor had to pay the same as billionaires?! We are quite a passive nation, but in the end enough was enough. And yet no doubt over the next few days and weeks we will be told time and time again that Thatcher was the best post-war Prime Minister and equally glowing praise.  

Posted 8 April 2013
shapeman
Photographer
shapeman
Yes a true Brit, however my Fateher was in the NWT&G workers plus TUC. REALLY disliked the Woman.
pompeytog
R.I.P. Mrs T. She did what had to be done for the good of the Country and with a real sense of duty rather than what could she get out of it. Unlike some of the idiots of recent times. She was a truly Great Briton.
Posted 8 April 2013
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
Gobsmacked at some of the views expressed on here.  Dissappointented.

The alternatives were Michael Foot,  Neil Kinnock.....would we have fared better under those governments?  I doubt it.  Great leader and a fantastic politician, no matter what your party politics are/were.  A true Briton.  Rest in Peace, your country owes you so much.
Posted 8 April 2013
stevephot
Photographer
stevephot
GSC4X

Gobsmacked at some of the views expressed on here.  Dissappointented.

The alternatives were Michael Foot,  Neil Kinnock.....would we have fared better under those governments?  I doubt it.  Great leader and a fantastic politician, no matter what your party politics are/were.  A true Briton.  Rest in Peace, your country owes you so much.

ok with a statement like that you have to say why Kinnock or Foot would have ben worse (dont go on about the person but on their policies).

There are romantics out there who seem to think by destroying communities and industries was an effective way to change conditions.  Rather than investing the money she made from Oil into the country .  Hang on...arnt we going through the same thing with Cameron

Posted 9 April 2013
Well, she did deregulate the banks (City of London), with as much thought as she deregulated buses.

Posted 9 April 2013
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
stevephot

ok with a statement like that you have to say why Kinnock or Foot would have ben worse (dont go on about the person but on their policies).

There are romantics out there who seem to think by destroying communities and industries was an effective way to change conditions.  Rather than investing the money she made from Oil into the country .  Hang on...arnt we going through the same thing with Cameron

As I recall, she took power from Labour, inheriting a country paralysed by strikes and militants and began an 18 year reign for the Tories during which the country prospered. Interesting how she was re-elected if she was so bad!!  Labour came back into power in '97, lived off the back of what had been "gifted" to them by the previous government's decisions and policies for a term and then began implementing their own.  Then shortly after, the recession hit, the banks failed, he resigned and we elected a different government who have been "gifted" by the outgoing guys, unfortunately theirs wasn't as good as the one they received back in 1997.  So yes, the situation is very similar in that this government is having to make unpleasent decisions to clear up Labour's mess. 

I remember what it was like with the union barons thinking that they could run the country for their own gain.  It may be worth remembering that the union leaders were not quite so affected as the workers out on strike!  I remember the speaches given by Scargill et al and they didn't appear to me to be about improving the lot of the workers,  more about proving how big and hard they were and promising to destroy an elected government.

My paternal grandfather was involved in the pit unions at their birth.  However as a man of honour, he would, I am sure, have been horrified by the way that the unions bosses abused their power in the pre- Thatcher days.

I didn't like much of what her government did, but then, as now, her opponents had no viable alternative to offer.

I suggest that thiose who are claiming to be happy at her death are the sort of person who would have bowed their heads and scurried away from her in real life.  Even recently when she was a sick old lady.  She had the sort of courage that they can only dream of!
Whilst these self proclaimed political experts are happy to tell all how wrong she was and how they know so much better than we mere mortals,  they certainly do NOT have the courage to stand for election and prove it.  Far better for them to hide behind a computer and attack a dead person,  which is about the limit of their courage.

As for those who claim she was anti women,  you really should look beyond the stories in the press and think about what life was like in those days.  Here's a clue,  it wasn't the same as now!!
Posted 9 April 2013
Edited by WebModerator 9 April 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
stevephot

....... we have lost those skills because she wanted to break the unions...and you call that leadership!! .

Yes she did Steve but the mining strike wasn't really about pay and conditions... it was about yet another Soviet backed union Baron personally wanting to bring down the Conservatives...he used the miners for his own agenda so don't blame Thatcher for everything that happened to the miners! 

The union Barons were virtually running the country and dictating policy up until Thatcher came along - even by then the average member of the public was sick and tired of all the strikes, inefficiency and havoc wreaked in our industries by these subversives and that is how Thatcher was able to break the unions... with the blessing of the majority of voters at the time!
In the end, there was little support for the miners by the majority and they effectively sealed their own fate! Mind you, Scargill didn't come out of it too badly, unlike those he led to disastser.

Posted 9 April 2013
jes
Model
jes
Alan_Jay

I suggest that thiose who are claiming to be happy at her death are the sort of person who would have bowed their heads and scurried away from her in real life.  Even recently when she was a sick old lady.  She had the sort of courage that they can only dream of!
Whilst these self proclaimed political experts are happy to tell all how wrong she was and how they know so much better than we mere mortals,  they certainly do NOT have the courage to stand for election and prove it.  Far better for them to hide behind a computer and attack a dead person,  which is about the limit of their courage.

As for those who claim she was anti women,  you really should look beyond the stories in the press and think about what life was like in those days.  Here's a clue,  it wasn't the same as now!!

Exactly my point!...I think you put it much better!  R.I.P MT.

Posted 9 April 2013
sirspread
Photographer
sirspread
i have never seen so much hatred for one person....a lot of it justified in my opinion
Posted 9 April 2013
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
tocopubs

One of the things Margaret Thatcher did was to bring in the Video Recordings Act in 1984. This meant that anyone who wished to shoot and sell a video had to submit it to a private limited company (the British Board of Film Classification) on payment of a substantial fee for a non-elected body to grant them authority to market that video. Failure to do so and you could go to prison. The VRA made no distinction between a small-time home-made glamour enterprise and a million-dollar hard-core operation, or even a Hollywood Studio. Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers was refused a certificate first, I recall, for movie theatre exhibition. Anyone who attempted to sell a (perfectly legal elsewhere) video of this flick at the time faced, if caught, a stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure. What a star Maggie was. Rest in peace (?!?)

Sorry to correct you, but Natural Born Killers came out in 1994. Thatcher was ousted in 1990. She did many evil things in her time, but refusing NBK a certificate was not one of them. Perhaps that was one of John Major's oily ministers.

Some Tory councils, certainly banned The Life of Brian.

But your basic point about censorship is a valid and important one. We should never forget the Video Nasty list.

Any politician who tries to ban me from watching the likes of The Evil Dead, The Burning, Last House on the Left, Inferno, Straw Dogs, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, A Clockwork Orange, Scum, etc. is a tyrant and despot, and therefore my enemy. - Even after her death!

Dave

Posted 9 April 2013
Edited by Crippen 9 April 2013
Marty_W
Photographer
Marty_W
Never liked Thatcher or any Tory really but, as one of the first posts reads, she is A mother sister etc, love her or hate her let's not be like Tory troll Louise Mensch and Red Check who want to insult labour voters/ lefties. I could go on a huge rant about her, but why? She's dead now. Her rein of terror was over years ago, its in the past learn from it. She also branded Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Something you've all missed.
Posted 9 April 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Marty_W

She also branded Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Something you've all missed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he have a major role to play in the Church Street Bombing (among others) in 1983 where 19 people were killed and 217 wounded?

Whether for the right reasons or not, that would still be seen as terrorism in most people's eyes.
Posted 9 April 2013
Edited by RedChecker 9 April 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
gerryquiff

I say good riddens to her.  She ruined many communities in my area, and I'm sure there's many in those communities that wish they could afford to celebrate in style.

http://www.milksnatcher.com/

Putting a link up celebrating the death of someone ,shows what a sad man you are.

Posted 9 April 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join