Hogging the middle lane on the M1

Hogging the middle lane on the M1

75 posts
5 June 2013
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
mph

Did the sense of humour by-pass hurt much? 

By-pass! Love it!

I had central reservations, too.
Posted 9 June 2013
Ian_Wilson
Photographer
Ian_Wilson
pompeytog
 Massive +1 to this. Problem is though due to the nanny state we live in, it probably won't be made legal because "what if drivers forget to use their mirrors when changing lanes", ( i.e. you're undertaking and middle lane hogger decides to move back to lane 1 without checking). The USA seem to manage undertaking ok though.  
As if middle-lane hoggers check any of their mirrors at any time! The whole point of being there is that you are ignoring everything and everbody else on the the motorway, feeling safe and smug in your own little cocoon. I always used to assume that it was because they were such awful drivers that they didn't know how to change lane or were too scared to go near the edge in case they drove off it! Seriously, it is just as likely for someone pulling out to forget to check their mirror (or miss someone in the blind spot) as it is for someone to pull in without checking.
Posted 9 June 2013
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
The reason why drivers hog the middle lane is very simple really, - it's to give them more opportunity to miss anyone that runs out into the road from behind a parked car.

Posted 9 June 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
stolenfaces
Personally I find French motorways sensible with an 80mph limit in dry weather, but 70 in wet weather. I would favour a similar system here except that it would reportedly cost at leat £500 million
The difference is that in France the police don't bother much about stopping people for speeding. Can you imagine the legal wrangling here when someone is fined for driving at 75mph in wet weather when in fact there were only 20 drops or rain per square metre. Who decides at any moment whether it is wet? It's very easy when there is an inch of water on the road, but not so easy after a very light shower. Could be why France's death rate is still the double of ours.
Posted 9 June 2013
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
EdT

Could be why France's death rate is still the double of ours.

Do we know if those statistics are normalised or whether it's just actual numbers? You know size/scale wise?
Posted 10 June 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
alexkidd
Do we know if those statistics are normalised or whether it's just actual numbers? You know size/scale wise?
However one fiddles/adjusts the figures it would be impossible to identify a single reason for any discrepancy.
Posted 10 June 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Not suggesting it is the one reason for France's mortality rate, it's a mix of many things including the fact that the police don't enforce any of the rules of the road. It used to be even worse until they started to enforce the alcohol limits.

The French always say that they are the country with the most laws in the world, but nobody abides by them.

Posted 10 June 2013
Dandelion
Photographer
Dandelion
I agree this has never bothered me, I drive at 70 in the middle lane rather than weave in and out of the slow lane which I consider more dangerous. There are plenty of other bad driving habits to tackle before middle lane driving. lighting up, mirrors, mobiles, indicators, etc. This is just another draconian measure to get in more money.
Posted 10 June 2013
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Dandelion

I agree this has never bothered me, I drive at 70 in the middle lane rather than weave in and out of the slow lane which I consider more dangerous. There are plenty of other bad driving habits to tackle before middle lane driving. lighting up, mirrors, mobiles, indicators, etc. This is just another draconian measure to get in more money.

There is no slow lane, if you are not overtaking anyone move to the left.  This has nothing to do with speed.

Posted 10 June 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
click_gotcha has given the most accurate answer!  I't s that simple!!!
Posted 10 June 2013
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
stolenfaces

You seem to misunderstand the concept of the 'nanny state' - the nanny state forces you to look after yourself - stopping you killing other people is a prime function of any state. Much of this discussion seems to be contrasting people's 'amusing' comments about driving on dual-carriageways in rural backwaters with others' experiences on 4 or 6 lane motorways. Personally I find French motorways sensible with an 80mph limit in dry weather, but 70 in wet weather. I would favour a similar system here except that it would reportedly cost at leat £500 million

Absolutely no misunderstanding of what Nanny state means, usually making laws to penalise those who are sensible in favour of those who can't be bothered.
Posted 10 June 2013
Because people like me do 80 and you'll be in my way

Posted 11 June 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
EdT

The difference is that in France the police don't bother much about stopping people for speeding.

They rely on speed cameras instead which bring in around 600 million Euro a year. 

Posted 11 June 2013
this is lilys partner may i as a lorry driver add to this debate ?

iam resticted to 56mph on motorways and cannot use the outside lane except when directed by HA or plod which affects me when i come across some numb nut cruising along in lane 2 in his 4x4 at 53/54 mph now i am at 56 mph do i undertake him cant over take as im banned from lane three so i have to sit just behind this idiot in lane one matching his speed which also efectivley turns the whole motorway in to a single carriegeway for vehicles moving faster . these are the type of people that the truck driving community are informed the police will be targeting not the peopl who are and i quote " making progress in the flow of traffic and not causing bunching of traffic .

hope this helps from anothers point of view

Posted 13 June 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
lilybaby
this is lilys partner may i as a lorry driver add to this debate ? iam resticted to 56mph on motorways and cannot use the outside lane except when directed by HA or plod which affects me when i come across some numb nut cruising along in lane 2 in his 4x4 at 53/54 mph now i am at 56 mph do i undertake him cant over take as im banned from lane three so i have to sit just behind this idiot in lane one matching his speed which also efectivley turns the whole motorway in to a single carriegeway for vehicles moving faster . these are the type of people that the truck driving community are informed the police will be targeting not the peopl who are and i quote " making progress in the flow of traffic and not causing bunching of traffic . hope this helps from anothers point of view
I've seen this numerous times, often with the "numb nut" doing 50mph or less. It not only leaves the lorry drivers having to match his speed but means that a queue of traffic also builds up in lane 2. This queue is all the unfortunate individuals who didn't get into the (now overloaded) lane 3 in time. They're now stuck driving at 50mph and have no chance of filtering into a lane travelling at 70mph, with absolutely no gaps between the cars because 80% of the traffic is in that one lane.
Posted 14 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join