( Yes, it's that time again!)">Chaperones ( Yes, it's that time again!)...

Chaperones ( Yes, it's that time again!)

It seems this conversation has now been locked
82 posts
6 June 2012
JodieEllen
Personally I think if u haven't worked with someone before
But you will experience working with new people in any line of work. When I started out I had one shoot where the photographer requested that I brought a chaperone, so I took my other half along. He was bored to death throughout, obviously when your the model or photographer a few hours seems to fly by but imagine being sat there twiddling your thumbs for that length of time.
Posted 8 June 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Dani-Elle
But you will experience working with new people in any line of work.
Do you not take a Chaperone with you when you start a new day job ..... thats where I have been going wrong *sends mum home*
Posted 8 June 2012
wolfie
Photographer
wolfie
JodieEllen
Chaperones...... What's everyone's opinion on them? Personally I think if u haven't worked with someone before there is no problem with them? I can understand no "boys" but general chaperones?? Moderator Comment : Plenty of opinions here:- ~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~
all the psycho's i've happened to know have all been female [ and i've lived with most of 'em]so i think the blokes are the ones that need protection!!!!
Posted 8 June 2012
tarmoo
When you book a model for a shoot up to nude and she says that she wants to bring along her stunningly attractive girlfriend for some hot girl on girl action shots then maybe most photographers would not object. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be very common. I don't usually like to work with models who feel the need for chaperones, but I could be pursuaded.
Well Mr Tarmoo , As it happends, JodieEllen came for a shoot today and brought KirstyPoisonArt with her, well we did some great girl/girl Art Nude,Fetish and location shoot Thank You Girls
Posted 9 June 2012
Edited by Riverside_Studio 9 June 2012
Riverside_Studio
Well Mr Tarmoo , As it happends, JodieEllen came for a shoot today and brought KirstyPoisonArt with her, well we did some great girl/girl Art Nude,Fetish and location shoot Thank You Girls
This has made my day!!! best shoot ive ever had ;P always a good reason to have a sexy friend to bring along :P
Posted 9 June 2012
Hobbeldehoy
Photographer
Hobbeldehoy
In principle it seems ok but it doesn't work for a variety of reason. The main problem is that the behaviour of the chaperone is often suspect, especially if it's the boyfriend or mother. These behaviours can range between moaning, snide remarks, direct interference in the shoot and sometimes thievery.
Posted 9 June 2012
Modernman
Photographer
Modernman
I had chaperones once,but i dipped them in Dettol and they went away.

Posted 23 June 2012
russtyruss
Photographer
russtyruss
i know this has been done to death but i'd like to chime in. i'm completely cool with a model bringing someone along with them as long as they dont get involved, like start giving direction or what not.
to be honest, i prefer it if i havent worked with the girl before, if it will make her more comfortable, cool by me. i'm a 17st 6'2" bouncer with tattoos and a south london accent. i can come across as intimidating. whatever i can do to make a model feel comfortable, i'll do.

i've been reading the other posts on this subject and to be honest, i can't understand why so many photographers are avidly against it.

one of the arguments that came up quite a lot was that the 'tog didn't need any distractions. well, on a 'pro' shoot(I mean, pro as in proper editorial etc) there are always at least five or six people there, and i mean right there. in the room/on set next to you. fussing about. mua's, hair, stylists, assistants... the photographers deal with it because they are pro. i'm not saying people aren't professional because they dont shoot for vogue or whatever but.....

another argument that popped up quite a lot was that 'pro' models never take a chaperone so why should normal models. well, again, for the reason i just mentioned, they don't need to bring one because there's normally a room full of people.
the idea for a chaperone is so the model can feel safe with, for the most part, a guy she's never met before. what's wrong with that? there's only so much checking up you can do. would you want your daughter/girlfriend etc going off alone with a stranger she's never met before to let them take, potentially, intimate pictures of them? probably not.

i'm not saying the togs who don't want chaperones are pervs, i'm not. just... and this is just my opinion and not meant to degrade anyone but... why do some photographers 'need' to work one on one with a model? i honestly don't get it and i find it a little odd. sorry if that offends anyone.
thanks,
russ.

Ps. i don't really use this site much, most of my work comes through word of mouth so I haven't updated my port since i first started shooting.
want to see my pics, look at my flickr/fb/website.
flickr.com/russtyruss
[Link removed in accordance with 6.1.4 of the Terms of Use]
www.good-photography.co.uk
Posted 26 June 2012
Edited by WebModerator 26 June 2012
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
russtyruss

i'm not saying the togs who don't want chaperones are pervs, i'm not. just... and this is just my opinion and not meant to degrade anyone but...

Isn't that what the models who insist on a chaperone say?

Posted 26 June 2012
russtyruss
Photographer
russtyruss
Kiboko
Isn't that what the models who insist on a chaperone say?
your point is??
Posted 26 June 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
russtyruss

your point is??

It's just a tiny bit insulting?
Posted 26 June 2012
russtyruss
Photographer
russtyruss
maybe it is. but in my opinion so is telling a young girl that's never met you before that they can't bring anyone with them just because you dont want the percieved hassle or what not.

dont get me wrong, the last shoot i did was with a 17 year old, her mum was present and her mum kept trying to direct the shoot. it pissed me off but i dealt with it and got some great shots.

as far as i'm concerned, that's all part of being a photographer. I was in paris not so long ago and my friend was shooting for Nylon magazine in the jardine du tulieres (probably spelt wrong but i don't care) the model was basically wearing a see through dress with nothing on underneath, and as you'd expect, it drew quite a crowd. did my friend mind? no. did the model mind? no. that's why they're pros.

for a model on here starting out, or even a quite established one, i don't feel they should be slagged off for wanting to take precautions when meeting a new photographer, as long as the person they bring with them has been agreed before hand and that they dont interfere with the shoot. same if i have an assistant, i'll agree it with the model before hand.

all i was trying to say is that if find it quite arrogant that some photographers think it's their 'right' to work one on one with a model.

russ.

Posted 26 June 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
russtyruss

all i was trying to say is that if find it quite arrogant that some photographers think it's their 'right' to work one on one with a model. russ.

It's the photographers right to work under any T&C's he wishes. It's the models right to work under any T&C's she wishes.

It is no-ones right to assume there are dubious motives for anyone wishing to work under those T&C's
Posted 26 June 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
russtyruss

all i was trying to say is that if find it quite arrogant that some photographers think it's their 'right' to work one on one with a model. russ.

Its seriously arrogant of you to dictate terms of how two adults should arrange to do a shoot together and none of your business.

I dont think its my right to impose anything on a model but if I am not happy with the terms of the shoot, it will never happen, no matter what you say. The model has no right to impose a shoot with a chaperone on me. The model is free to decide whether to do a shoot with me just the same as I am free to turn down a shoot with a model

Posted 26 June 2012
Edited by Gerry99111 26 June 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
russtyruss

one of the arguments that came up quite a lot was that the 'tog didn't need any distractions. well, on a 'pro' shoot(I mean, pro as in proper editorial etc) there are always at least five or six people there, and i mean right there. in the room/on set next to you. fussing about. mua's, hair, stylists, assistants... the photographers deal with it because they are pro.

There is a hell of a difference between professional assistants - and mothers, boy friends, mates etc!

But as said above - everyone is free to have their own requirements and for the other party to accept or reject them. I would not choose to work with chaperones - but nor would I slag off a model who wished to bring one.
Posted 26 June 2012
It seems this conversation has now been locked