Mornington Crescent

Mornington Crescent

134 posts
2 Dec 2007
I find Mornington Crescent to be like Chess myself - I find it difficult to think enough moves ahead to formulate a decent strategy.  Is it OK if I watch how this one progresses and learn from experienced players? 

Posted 21 Oct 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
Dear Fleur,
 Mornington Crescent, like Chess, requires psychological insight into the other players state of mind as much as strategic thinking. It's like playing Poker, where the players all have loaded guns, you don't need to worry too much about what your next move is going to be, you just have to be decisive, swift and accurate, that's all!

The best way to learn is to just dive in at the deep end and don't mind the sharks!
Posted 21 Oct 2008
nigel
Photographer
nigel
"Old Trafford"  ha ha beat that !!!
or have I got the wrong end of the stick???
anyone for quidditch ???
Posted 21 Oct 2008
marshon
Photographer
marshon
nigel

"Old Trafford"  ha ha beat that !!!
or have I got the wrong end of the stick???
anyone for quidditch ???

Erm .... I'd say wrong end of the country, rather than the stick.
I believe that even under Conurbation rules, the furthest north you possibly have gone would have been......

Watford

Posted 21 Oct 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
True enough, if we were playing 'Conurbation' or 'Suburbia' rules, but 'East Prussian' rules; like many of the 'Travel' variants or pre-cursor games,[Nasca Lines, Pedder's Way or 'The Silk Route' for example]; allows for 'Lebensraum' manouvering, so this move is valid, if a little un-orthodox. It will be interesting to see whether he chooses the 'Rhubarb and Custard' [International Six-Day Test Match Mornington Crescent {M.C.C. approved} rule variant] or 'Oiks' [ Chelsea Headhunters Inter-City Crew rules]. Either way he will come a cropper if he gets 'Hit into the river' at Shrewsbury {M.C.C.} or makes the mistake of 'Wearing a Baggie-shirt' at the Molineaux. {I.C.C.}.

Your move!
Posted 21 Oct 2008
Lysander

Dear Fleur,
 Mornington Crescent, like Chess, requires psychological insight into the other players state of mind as much as strategic thinking. It's like playing Poker, where the players all have loaded guns, you don't need to worry too much about what your next move is going to be, you just have to be decisive, swift and accurate, that's all!

Ah, now poker, I can understand - but I'm a dealer, not a gambler ...

Posted 21 Oct 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
Fleur_du_Mal

Ah, now poker, I can understand - but I'm a dealer, not a gambler ...

I do hope you don't 'shave' the deck! 
Posted 21 Oct 2008
Lysander

I do hope you don't 'shave' the deck! 

It's all above board here ... I'm just a Lucky lady

Posted 22 Oct 2008
JohnD
Photographer
JohnD
I'm not sure you can ask a lady if she shaves the deck!

Anyhow returning to the game I believe we're actually in Old Trafford which of course means we've crossed the 4th parallel and so with Dollis Hill live I shall use the North London Shaker (or Neasden Trembler as it's also known) and play Cricklewood East.
Posted 23 Oct 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
I'm going to have to West Ruislip you, which as I'm sure your aware means you'll have to sacrifice Monument or stay put at Brent Sidings [Behind the Cineworld at Staples Corner] for three moves unless you can find another player willing to stake their Finchley Road and Frognal against a possible  Willesden Junction. [A risky bet as Chalfont and Latimer are 'Doubled up' due to the Schleswig-Holstein Question].

Posted 23 Oct 2008
Just to throw you all off guard, I'm going to play the wild card that is ...

Leytonstone 
Posted 23 Oct 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
Fleur_du_Mal

Leytonstone 

Ha! I was right to ask if you 'shaved the deck'. You put on your 'poker- face' when you claimed to know nothing about the game and then 'all little miss innocent' you play 'Leytonstone'. You've been studying the gamesmanship of Rudolf and Max Steiner no doubt!

I shall respond with a Tottenham Court Road.  [Stick that in your Perivale and smoke it!].

Posted 23 Oct 2008
marshon
Photographer
marshon
Fleur_du_Mal

Leytonstone 

Ah ha! A hustler! You have to watch the quiet ones don't you?
But since we have sidestepped her Leytonstone and moved on to Tottenham Court Rd, I feel fully justified in playing.....

Bank

Not only enhancing the Tottenham Court Rd move, but also being contemporary and topical! I fear that Bank may soon go the way of The Aldwich (only part time) since most of the incumbants seem particularly feckless of late.

Posted 26 Oct 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
Thank you Marshon for opening up one of my favourite traps, I shall now play

Woodford [ via Roding Valley].

The subliminal effect of mentioning Perrivale always draws a response. Otto von Bismark lost to General Clausewitz after a similar aside and it was only the presence of Ladies at the game that stopped him from challenging Clausewitz to a duel.

They later settled their differences amicably through playing best of three at Pooh Sticks instead of the traditional Sabres at dawn.
Posted 26 Oct 2008
JohnD
Photographer
JohnD
Aaaah you're all forgetting the classic Gardener play of '76 that took Cryer quite by surprise, and I know he's never forgotten that.

ONGAR!

And yes it's worth shouting for that excursion down the Central Line!
Posted 3 Nov 2008
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join