Bad drivers every-where but which car makes stand out ?

Bad drivers every-where but which car makes stand out ?

71 posts
22 Aug 2013
mikethefoto
Photographer
mikethefoto
Henry_Artist

There's something called "risk compensation" where the safer you feel, the more risks you take. Modern motor cars with air bags, traction control, anti-lock brakes, side impact bars, etc. make people feel very safe so they take more risks than they did in the past. At one time only Volvo drivers felt this invulnerable which accounted for their driving style compared to everyone else on the road.

In order to rectify this situation I would like to propose the banning of all modern safety features in motorcars - air bags, seat belts, crumple zones, traction control, side imapct bars, etc. I would also have all cars fitted with an 18" steel spike in the center of the steering wheel aimed at the driver's chest. Consider the advantages; cars would be much cheaper, drivers would suddenly become a lot more careful, and though the mortality rate would initially be quite high the removal of those with a genetic predispostion to driving like a complete plonker from the gene pool will ensure that as a race we will become better drivers in general... eventually.

+111111
Much the same was proposed by a senior racing driver instrucyor at Brands Hatch many years ago when discussions were rife regarding the best method of preventing racing injuries/deaths from rising. Catch fencing, gravel traps, tyre walls etc etc, no sharpened steel poles dug into the ground on the outside of corneds painted bright colours was Tony Lanfranchi's idea. This would initially be responsible for a number of "young guns" coming to an untimely premature end but would certainly concentrate the minds of the remaining drivers, hey presto less accidents in the long run.

Posted 26 Aug 2013
Toxicimaging
Photographer
Toxicimaging
I drive an Audi, I am an advanced driver and in 33 years of driving have had no accidents. The drivers who need keeping off our roads are the ones who think it is ok to use a mobile phone or text whilst driving and the ones who think the driver behind is a mind reader when they don't use indicators before switching lane or turning.

Posted 26 Aug 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
mikethefoto

+111111

Much the same was proposed by a senior racing driver instrucyor at Brands Hatch many years ago when discussions were rife regarding the best method of preventing racing injuries/deaths from rising. Catch fencing, gravel traps, tyre walls etc etc, no sharpened steel poles dug into the ground on the outside of corneds painted bright colours was Tony Lanfranchi's idea. This would initially be responsible for a number of "young guns" coming to an untimely premature end but would certainly concentrate the minds of the remaining drivers, hey presto less accidents in the long run.

Funny then that the death rate in motor racing has reduced..............

Seat drivers make the most "fault" claims by the way.
Posted 26 Aug 2013
Edited by mph 26 Aug 2013
twentytwenty
Photographer
twentytwenty
In Scotland its not a make of car, that's the killer, its a road called the A9, Apparently 93% of HCV's driving it are breaking the speed limit. (which is 40mph for HGV's), and frustration from car drivers stuck behind them is believed to be a major cause of the continuing high death rate the road itself is fast, but it goes from dual to single lane all the time. its so damn easy to forget your back on single lane. throw into the equation the high amount of tourists, many from oversea's who have become disorientated and driven down the road in the wrong lane, resulting in head on collisions, Its Bloody lethal, this road kills one or two a month, If ever a road needed sorting out, its this one, I absolutely hate driving on it

Posted 30 Aug 2013
mikethefoto
Photographer
mikethefoto
mph

Funny then that the death rate in motor racing has reduced..............

Seat drivers make the most "fault" claims by the way.

I missed the point you are making?

Posted 30 Aug 2013
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Audi drivers have taken over as the most arrogant drivers on the road...it used to be BMW drivers but now its Audi

Posted 30 Aug 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
People who have these in their cars tend to drive like twats also:
Posted 30 Aug 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
RedChecker
People who have these in their cars tend to drive like twats also:
And are often twats for having it there when they do not have children in the car as the original idea was to help the emergency services be aware there might be a child to rescue.
Posted 30 Aug 2013
But surely it's a character reference about the level of their driving.

Posted 30 Aug 2013
chrisburns
Photographer
chrisburns
lol.... this is such a bad thread but in a funny way....... reason is simply because the names and makes of cars your noticing are the most popular cars on the road.
Therefore because there are so many popular audi's and bmw's etc on the road... the chances are higher that you notice a small handfull of them in proportion of the overall which are bad drivers...

EG for argument sake...... If 10% of overall drivers on the road are arseholes.......... and 30% of cars on the road are audi's because they are good cars and 30% are bmw's because they are good cars and 1% are FIAT's because they are crap then its obvious that because 10% of road users are arseholes then you will think they are all audi and bmw drivers .....

think about it!

Posted 30 Aug 2013
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
chrisburns

lol.... this is such a bad thread but in a funny way....... reason is simply because the names and makes of cars your noticing are the most popular cars on the road. Therefore because there are so many popular audi's and bmw's etc on the road... the chances are higher that you notice a small handfull of them in proportion of the overall which are bad drivers... EG for argument sake...... If 10% of overall drivers on the road are arseholes.......... and 30% of cars on the road are audi's because they are good cars and 30% are bmw's because they are good cars and 1% are FIAT's because they are crap then its obvious that because 10% of road users are arseholes then you will think they are all audi and bmw drivers ..... think about it!

Not convinced. If you think of the Audi as an Auto Underpant Dropping Interface and the other one as a Brash Mobile Watercloset, you'll find an arse hole is never far.
Posted 31 Aug 2013
Edited by w4pictures 30 Aug 2013
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
I'm not convinced. Just been cut up on the road today by 2 cars. One was an Audi and the other was a BMW. Guilty as charged

Posted 1 Sep 2013
Edited by Moorlane 1 Sep 2013
chrisburns
Photographer
chrisburns
Whether it convinces you both or not its the truth....... see this: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2399902/Top-20-biggest-selling-cars-2013.html you will notice while not the most popular both audi and bmw are still big sellers...and as a percentage share only ford vauxhall and volkswagon have a higher share... a total of 73,000 bmw's sold this year alone and 84,000 audi's......whereas only 34,000 fiat 9,000 jaguar, 4,000 lexus 17,000 mazda, 28,000 mini's 22,000 renaults... etc etc......... ..doesnt bother me either way but the worst drivers I notice on the road are women
Posted 1 Sep 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
chrisburns
lol.... this is such a bad thread but in a funny way....... reason is simply because the names and makes of cars your noticing are the most popular cars on the road. Therefore because there are so many popular audi's and bmw's etc on the road... the chances are higher that you notice a small handfull of them in proportion of the overall which are bad drivers... EG for argument sake...... If 10% of overall drivers on the road are arseholes.......... and 30% of cars on the road are audi's because they are good cars and 30% are bmw's because they are good cars and 1% are FIAT's because they are crap then its obvious that because 10% of road users are arseholes then you will think they are all audi and bmw drivers ..... think about it!
Doesn't hold water I'm afraind. The sales figures if 2012 (according to the Daily Telegraph were:
Daily Telegraph
Ford enjoyed market share of 13.79 per cent, with Vauxhall in second at 11.36 per cent despite selling 2.6 per cent fewer cars than in 2011. Volkswagen was third overall with 8.96 per cent market share, with BMW and Audi in fourth and fifth (6.24 and 6.05% respectively).
So if your theory is correct, people should see twice as many bad Ford drivers as bad BMW drivers. Ford, Vauxhall and Volswagen drivers should make up 34% of the bad drivers compared to 12% for BMW and Audi ... about 3 times as many.
Posted 2 Sep 2013
chrisburns
Photographer
chrisburns
EdT
Doesn't hold water I'm afraind. The sales figures if 2012 (according to the Daily Telegraph were: Daily Telegraph Ford enjoyed market share of 13.79 per cent, with Vauxhall in second at 11.36 per cent despite selling 2.6 per cent fewer cars than in 2011. Volkswagen was third overall with 8.96 per cent market share, with BMW and Audi in fourth and fifth (6.24 and 6.05% respectively). So if your theory is correct, people should see twice as many bad Ford drivers as bad BMW drivers. Ford, Vauxhall and Volswagen drivers should make up 34% of the bad drivers compared to 12% for BMW and Audi ... about 3 times as many.
Thats exactly right.. and I do......the point i was trying to make wasnt about bmw's and audi's per-say it was about the thread in relation to the figures if that makes sense.. plus I did mention those in my other post It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the figures because bmw and audi as far as im aware dont make vans and trucks etc but both ford and vauxhall do.... so their market share might include that figure.. How many times has someone complained about a white van driver.....? Those are probably either ford transits or vauxhall's..... Chances are people just remember the bmw's and audi's more but if you break it down without putting emotion into it then chances are statistically you will notice more fiesta, focus , astra , vectra and white van men bad drivers........... it's just you pick out the occasions where a bmw cuts you up or an audi and that sticks in your head more than a white van or astra.....
Posted 2 Sep 2013
Edited by chrisburns 2 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join