what do togs do with tfp pics ?

what do togs do with tfp pics ?

81 posts
1 Jan 2013
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
TonyBrook

... you just want things loaded in the photographers favour wheres I always act in my models' interests.

I don't require a model release for most of my shoots as there's no intention to publish outside the UK (nor for the most part in the UK). For those shoots that do require one the publishers always require an unrestricted model release (save for defamation).

If I had a model turn up to a paid shoot brandishing her own release, with or without restrictions, I'm afraid the shoot would not go ahead.

Whether you regard that as being against the model's interests is up to you but I can assure you she will be out of a shoot and any pay regardless.
Posted 13 Jan 2013
As far as i am aware aswell, a 'model release' wouldn't even stand up in court either. Don't want pics shown - Don't pose for them. Simple as. Solves that little problem quite well.

Posted 13 Jan 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
Tony, are you a white Knight? Seems like you are to me......

Posted 15 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
skymouse

A model release releases the publisher from certain named restrictions. When a model signs a release, it reduces her control, not increases it.

Surely that depends on the terms of the release and any business-savvy model will take care when signing a release to ensure it doesn't take away too much control.  There's nothing to stop her putting a black line through certain parts of the release before signing.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
Surely that depends on the terms of the release and any business-savvy model will take care when signing a release to ensure it doesn't take away too much control.  There's nothing to stop her putting a black line through certain parts of the release before signing.
Whilst it is one-sided i.e. a release rather than a contract, it can only reduce the rights of the signer, it can't increase them. The name gives it away really.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

Whilst it is one-sided i.e. a release rather than a contract, it can only reduce the rights of the signer, it can't increase them. The name gives it away really.

Depending on what a model is prepared to sign/blank-out on said release it can rule out a photographer or publisher having carte-blanche to do what they want. 

eg.  a model could choose to only sign a release if clearly stated that it wasn't to be used for certain marketing purposes (eg. political)
Posted 15 Jan 2013
Edited by RedChecker 15 Jan 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
It doesn't rule it out if the photographer already has the rights.
Any photographer who doesn't need a release can just rely on their copyright and tear up the release if it doesn't improve their position.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

It doesn't rule it out if the photographer already has the rights. Any photographer who doesn't need a release can just rely on their copyright and tear up the release if it doesn't improve their position.

What if the model took away a copy of said release with the photographer's signature on also, surely the agreement can go both ways in the case of a dispute?
Posted 15 Jan 2013
Edited by RedChecker 15 Jan 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
What if the model took away a copy of said release with the photographer's signature on also, surely the agreement can go both ways in the case of a dispute?
well strictly it's not then a 'model release' if the photographer is releasing his rights as well or instead.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Photographer
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
sarah5182

basically im very naive and new and was wondering what togs actually do with your tfp ? x

ask the individual photographer him/herself what he/she is going to do with them. You have had some good answers so far but also some slightly "misleading" statements regarding copyright/release etc. It seems to me that you and other new models should be totally forgiven for being naive when some photographers don't seem to know or at least cannot explain coherently the usage of images.
One point that was touched on by Missie0290 is that images cannot be used or manipulated in such a way as to defame you (unless you specifically sign away "release" your right not to be defamed). Having said that that does not mean that you can object to an image just because you don't like it.

Mike.

Posted 15 Jan 2013
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Photographer
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
My personal usage:
If I like the images a lot I may use one or two for my port (but it will only be a very small percentage of the images taken). Sometimes I may use an image for inspiration for a piece of artwork most of the time most images will be archived.
However if you later decide to become part of a newsworthy love triangle (or love dodecahedron) involving married members of say, the cabinet, the Liverpool first team, the royal family and some of the more camper members of the Teletubbies, them I may, just may, be tempted to sell the images to Nut's, Take a Break or Popular Lawnmower Weekly (whoever offers the most money)
P.S. - PM sent just in case you are planning any future menage a troislaugh Mike.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
RedChecker

Oh absoluetly. But even in this case, at most the model is disclaiming fewer rights  than if they signed the whole thing, but still more than if there were no release at all.
Posted 15 Jan 2013
Lisaliz
Model
Lisaliz
Sarah, I wouldn't worry too much, most photographers aren't that mad and anyway they are all far too lazy - if they want to see nudity, there are plenty of girls who will shoot to that level.

You are more likey to get some random nutter on a social networking site getting hold of a pic of you and photoshopping off your clothes or photoshopping on a moustache!

Just take care only to work to the levels you are comfortable with. And be sensible, only work with people you have properly checked out and who you can trust. Good luck and enjoy your modelling!
Posted 15 Jan 2013
Regarding "Model releases", Can someone correct me if i'm wrong?

Aren't they pretty useless with just two signatures? I mean, Say i was a photographer, and i was shooting some art nude with a model. We draw up a release that says any photographs containing say a nipple, or genitals in shot are to be deleted. I sign it and she goes away with her copy. I do away with mine, and because i'm a bit dodgy i decide to use a nipple slip photo.

What use is the contract in this case? Sure, She has a contract with my signature - But how does the model know it's my real signature? I could just make one up and if she took me to court accuse her of forging my signature, Wouldn't she actually be at more risk if i were believed? How does she proved that i physically signed my name? If it even got as far as court - Which i doubt it would? So aren't they just useless?

I've always thought they were a bit similar to the contacts people draw up when they put their horses on loan - They're pretty useless too. You send your horse to someone elses yard you're gonna have a hard time proving you didn't just give it them contract or no contract.

Posted 18 Jan 2013
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Missie0290

Regarding "Model releases", Can someone correct me if i'm wrong? Aren't they pretty useless with just two signatures? I mean, Say i was a photographer, and i was shooting some art nude with a model. We draw up a release that says any photographs containing say a nipple, or genitals in shot are to be deleted. I sign it and she goes away with her copy. I do away with mine, and because i'm a bit dodgy i decide to use a nipple slip photo. What use is the contract in this case? Sure, She has a contract with my signature - But how does the model know it's my real signature? I could just make one up and if she took me to court accuse her of forging my signature, Wouldn't she actually be at more risk if i were believed? How does she proved that i physically signed my name? If it even got as far as court - Which i doubt it would? So aren't they just useless? I've always thought they were a bit similar to the contacts people draw up when they put their horses on loan - They're pretty useless too. You send your horse to someone elses yard you're gonna have a hard time proving you didn't just give it them contract or no contract.

1. don't confuse a model release with a modelling contract.

2. you could always get your solicitor to draw up a modelling contract and arrange for it to be signed by the photographer and independently witnessed. Don't forget that a valid contract also requires consideration.

3. from an internet modelling perspective this will of couse mean that the model will not get any work. In any case the circumstances you described are precisely why experienced photographers avoid 'implied' models like the plague.
Posted 18 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join