Whats Happening Purestorm

Whats Happening Purestorm

153 posts
2 Nov 2014
tiinak
Model
tiinak
PS is great and I would be still using it to get work, if I was still living in UK. I'm still reading the forums. Expand to USA please
Posted 5 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
marlhamphoto

When I started I never took to NM for the very reason you describe - the forum there seemed disgustingly seedy to me. And I've no idea who the photographer you refer to is but I can think of one in particular who taints PP in a similar way and which causes me to wonder if it's the same person.

As far as I know Russ wouldn't allow the one I mention onto the site, however there were 5/6 broadly similar photographers who joined when I was there and it really started lowering the tone, especially as they were literally flooding the image feed day after day (a couple of them had portfolios with well in excess of 1000 images).  It really was tiresome as you were missing good images as a result of their drivel.  I actually made a suggestion on there to allow people to block images from others that they choose on the main image feed, but predictable as ever you had the wankers coming out of the woodwork to criticise the suggestion.

And you also had the train & nature fanatics starting to upload their rubbish also.  Again, when I suggested keeping it to modelling/portraiture I was slapped down again for allegedly being horrible to people.  Wankers!
Posted 5 Nov 2014
Edited by RedChecker 5 Nov 2014
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
I'm sorry but all this back-slapping and saying 'PS is better than PP' and all that is just burying your head in the sand and ignoring the simple fact that this site is very much dying and the other site is performing way better. It has to be, that's where the vast majority of UK based models and photographers are now.

For all its faults, PP still has a much better image management system, far less restrictions to how many images you can have on your port, a better portfolio layout and most importantly, it's considerably cheaper for a paid subscription.

Bitch about it all you like but until the site owners here start to pay attention to this simple fact and do something to revamp this place (and crucially make it desirable to pay for this site), more and more members will eventually fully migrate to there and this site will be even more a 'has been'.

Posted 5 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
But at least Matt's not a though
Posted 5 Nov 2014
Edited by Love 5 Nov 2014
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
RedChecker
But at least Matt's not a though
Irrelevant. Just looked at stats. This site, active users 105. Purpleport, 1048. As a business (and let's face it, these are businesses we're talking about), that's shocking statistics.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
Edited by thestarglider 5 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
thestarglider

I'm sorry but all this back-slapping and saying 'PS is better than PP' and all that is just burying your head in the sand and ignoring the simple fact that this site is very much dying and the other site is performing way better. It has to be, that's where the vast majority of UK based models and photographers are now. For all its faults, PP still has a much better image management system, far less restrictions to how many images you can have on your port, a better portfolio layout and most importantly, it's considerably cheaper for a paid subscription. Bitch about it all you like but until the site owners here start to pay attention to this simple fact and do something to revamp this place (and crucially make it desirable to pay for this site), more and more members will eventually fully migrate to there and this site will be even more a 'has been'.

It never takes long does it for a PP fanboy to pop up and denigrate the attempts of members here to encourage the site and state their appreciation for what PS provides them particularly.

The tolerance of this site is outstanding if you ak me. If it was mine a whole raft of people would have been slung out some time ago. They lower the appeal of the site on more than one level IMO.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
@thestarglider, It's relevant if he simply doesn't like you, regardless of whether or not you've broken any site rules.

Again, one of the good things about this site is that Matt is independent of the service it supplies and so there's far lower (if any) risk of him having an agenda or forming his own cliques/inner circles within the site.

I agree the the other site is better in terms of functionality & look, but it's run by an arsehole who can't distance himself from it enough to run it professionally.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
Edited by RedChecker 5 Nov 2014
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
RedChecker

@thestarglider, It's relevant if he simply doesn't like you, regardless of whether or not you've broken any site rules.

Again, one of the good things about this site is that Matt is independent of the service it supplies and so there's far lower (if any) risk of him having an agenda or forming his own cliques/inner circles within the site.

I agree the the other site is better in terms of functionality & look, but it's run by an arsehole who can't distance himself from it enough to run it professionally.

Again, all irrelevant. His site, his rules. It doesn't matter one jot how much of an arse Russ might be, or how nice Matt is here, these are businesses, and again you're just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the simple issue that Purpleport is winning - by a considerable (if not soo far ahead that it's already too late) margin, and Purestorm management must do something about it now - the rot has started and now it's time for something newer.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
I am a big fan of Pure Storm. I too have been here for many years and appreciate the fair and even-handed way members are treated by Matt and his staff. However, I do get concerned when I use other social network sites and see models asking their "fans" to go to the other site and like their pictures (which basically means they have to join). I do wish Pure Storm was a lot more active on sites like twitter. There's no harm in spreading the word about Pure Storm's many good points.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Quote from RedChecker @thestarglider, It's relevant if he simply doesn't like you, regardless of whether or not you've broken any site rules. Again, one of the good things about this site is that Matt is independent of the service it supplies and so there's far lower (if any) risk of him having an agenda or forming his own cliques/inner circles within the site. I agree the the other site is better in terms of functionality & look, but it's run by an thestarglider is a naughty person who can't distance himself from it enough to run it professionally. Quote from the starglider "Again, all irrelevant. His site, his rules. It doesn't matter one jot how much of an arse Russ might be, or how nice Matt is here, these are businesses, and again you're just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the simple issue that Purpleport is winning - by a considerable (if not soo far ahead that it's already too late) margin, and Purestorm management must do something about it now - the rot has started and now it's time for something newer." What rubbish. How is it irrelevant if the owner of the site is an arse? he interferes with the day to day running, has all his own croneys who suck up to him and can therefore do no wrong. The site is dominated by a few overbearing characters and that ruins the whole thing for me. Yes the image features are better, yes there are more people there, but it is far more a social site than a photography site. I left after a major disagreement with someone who posted a remark in the forum to which I objected, and when I complained I discovered this person was a co-founder of the site and I was told to shut up or leave basically. So I did.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
Edited by swalsh58 5 Nov 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
thestarglider

For all its faults, PP still has a ...better portfolio layout and most importantly, it's considerably cheaper for a paid subscription.

PS beats PP portfolio layout 6-0.

In PP you basicly pay for stats, so I'm happy to pay for PS and keep the free PP bc for non UK members PP has nothing compared that PS has.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
There is at least one vital flaw with modelmaxim....Google it...and the famous MAGAZINE ....'MAXIM' will show...NOT the new model/photographer website.

I've already had one photographer ask me how he defines 'region' of Cornwall, on the new website,  as he is having difficulty in joining new site...

Purestorm will always be a personal favourite for me, anyway cheeky

Posted 5 Nov 2014
Edited by Love 5 Nov 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
thestarglider
Again, all irrelevant. His site, his rules. It doesn't matter one jot how much of an arse Russ might be, or how nice Matt is here, these are businesses, and again you're just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the simple issue that Purpleport is winning - by a considerable (if not soo far ahead that it's already too late) margin, and Purestorm management must do something about it now - the rot has started and now it's time for something newer.
+1 I left NM years ago because PS looked fresh and lively in comparison. Now things have changed and the new kid on the block is getting all the traffic. Not saying PS is better or worse. Let say If PP started out first all those years ago and PS arrive recently it is just as likely it would be PS getting all the traffic today. Myspace, Friend Reunited, etc despite attempt to resurrect it have all but died. Internet forums and blogging sites are like fashion, when it is dying it is best to let it die quickly and start a new one with new name.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
SuzyMonty
There is at least one vital flaw with modelmaxim....Google it...and the famous MAGAZINE ....'MAXIM' will show...NOT the new
Thats because its a new site... Give it a few weeks and google shoulnt have any problems picking it up at all.... Any new site is going to have teathing issues. I think tne creator has done a good job. It certainly looks like he or she knows what they are doing.
Posted 5 Nov 2014
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
PHP_Photography

PS beats PP portfolio layout 6-0.

In PP you basicly pay for stats, so I'm happy to pay for PS and keep the free PP bc for non UK members PP has nothing compared that PS has.

Sorry, that's utter nonsense. It's a numbers game - Purpleport has them, Purestorm is losing them. Simple as.

In regards to work, every month I place the same casting call on both sites. On PP I get around 7-8 messages of interest. I am struggling to remember the last time I got contacted from a casting call here. There's just no way to really make any noise to garner interest here.

Stats? So what? It's still a portfolio site with models who I want to work with/they with me too, and that's the important thing.

And I really can't see how you can think the portfolio layout on here is better? It's horribly dated and clunky and really doesn't help to sell yourself.
Posted 6 Nov 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join