Are there really no models in Milton Keynes who want free photos?

Are there really no models in Milton Keynes who want free photos?

44 posts
24 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
marlhamphoto

Nevertheless the OP's post was poorly judged - both in its wording and aspiration -  as it was bound to attract the bigoted response it got.

He disagreed with the interpretation a few of us gave of his intentions, yet two of us asked him to subsequently clarify and this only resulted in another equally ambiguous response from him.  Is it any wonder why we (forum members in general) respond the way we often do?  (afterall, it's downright irritating when people post veiled questions & responses and their elusive nature means it's only natural to assume the worst)
Posted 31 Oct 2014
Edited by RedChecker 31 Oct 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
marlhamphoto
I disagree - I think she's missed the point too. But at least she didn't resort to snide comments and gave a reasoned response. Whilst the OP's port might not place in him in the category of 'heartstoppingly good' I'd say there's a huge mountain of both novice and experienced models here whose ports would benefit from a shot or two by him. Nevertheless the OP's post was poorly judged - both in its wording and aspiration -  as it was bound to attract the bigoted response it got.
How do you mean, benefit ? Once a model has a good portfolio and excellent references what financial benefit does adding a new photo give. Generally none. Working with someone big enough to have 'followers' may bring a few of those to the door. So most TFP for experienced models is not just working for free, but worse, potentially missing out on someone who wants to pay them for that time. And the novices, the ones with obvious potential will attract both top TFPers and early paid shoots so don't much need to work for free with anyone but an exceptional TFPer. The ones that don't have potential don't really offer any more than practice (or personal collection) shots for the photographer, and will never get any paid work. TFP here is taking money away from skilled photographers who can produce something nice for the wannabe model. At any time there are a few people who have some prospect of earning money but no photos to show themselves off, but as a proportion of people on this or any other, modeling/portfolio site it is absolutely tiny.
Posted 31 Oct 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 31 Oct 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
marlhamphoto
I disagree - I think she's missed the point too. But at least she didn't resort to snide comments and gave a reasoned response. Whilst the OP's port might not place in him in the category of 'heartstoppingly good' I'd say there's a huge mountain of both novice and experienced models here whose ports would benefit from a shot or two by him. Nevertheless the OP's post was poorly judged - both in its wording and aspiration -  as it was bound to attract the bigoted response it got.
If the inference was that I'd been snide or bigotted, in truth I didn't really consider the OP when commenting. So that wasn't to be taken personally, by him, or you in defence of him. If I'd wanted to voice an opinion in such a way, it'd have been pretty blunt maybe, snide isn't my thing.
Posted 1 Nov 2014

Waiting patiently for over four pages for a model to respond with.

"Are there really no phoptographers in Milton Keynes willing to pay for the services of a quality model" ?

Posted 1 Nov 2014
snapychapy
Photographer
snapychapy
this is making me ill. I only wanted to help. Ive learned much from my fellow human beings: selfish,twisted greedy and rude.photography is my life
Posted 1 Nov 2014
Edited by ForumModerator 13 Nov 2014
I feel like I still have no idea whats going on in this post lol
The term "Model" as a profession means that they are being paid to provide their modelling services

IN reply to an earlier post YES I have paid a photographer - I didnt want to do TF - I wanted him to shoot me so I paid him - its that simple - neither of us profited from the images themselves being sold to a third party
I really liked his style - if your portfolio and experience doesnt offer something that your target audience - in this case TF models - wants then the simple answer is No, there isnt?

I think this has been said before but photographers will find it hard to sell themselves to models - BOTH use it as a profession and therefore expect to be paid - so photographers either need a different target market of non-modelling jobs OR they need to be shooting for a client so they have a budget to pay the model

Does that help in anyway? Or am I adding to the confusion?

Posted 1 Nov 2014
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Having seen this thread & had a quick look at the OP's recent casting calls, I'will make an assumption he's bemoaning the fact has had a zero response, having read through his past few castings TBH I'm not surprised.
They are all along the lines of "offering tfcd any style any level" it's a boring unmaginative casting QED rightly or wrongly model's will assume the same about the photgraphy.

To quote some notes from another site re casting wording.

Bad: Shoot tomorrow.
Good: Fashion shoot tomorrow in the grounds of a manor house.
Bad: Nude shoot.
Good: Fine art nude shoot using natural light during September.

Wierdly enough the more specific the casting the better the response, probably why so many models even when looking for paid work include posible styles/outfits/direction etc.
Posted 12 Nov 2014
Edited by Spike 12 Nov 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
I think it's really sad that the OP has been made to feel so bad by some of the replies on this thread that he's left the site. OP, if you're reading this I sincerely hope you still continue and enjoy your photography away from Purestorm.

Posted 13 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
PaulManuell

I think it's really sad that the OP has been made to feel so bad by some of the replies on this thread that he's left the site. OP, if you're reading this I sincerely hope you still continue and enjoy your photography away from Purestorm.

The replies were justified.

The original post looked like yet another photographer cheesed off at not getting free shoots with models.  We see this time and time again on photography forums that photographers think they're entitled to them and as such they go on a rant.  There's nothing wrong with ribbing someone and knocking them down a peg or two when they behave like this.

Even though he came back and said we'd all missed the point, he failed to clarify what his point was when asked politely.  Again, more ribbing will ensue if you just keep quiet.

Many of us however well understand two main concepts with photography/modelling that are lacking when people post threads like this....

1 - models need paying to live
2 - not all of us are good enough/well-known enough or simply produce the images that models want.
Posted 13 Nov 2014
Oh dear
That's sad but silly
I've had far worse responses on a forum post including one lovely lady saying some horrible & personal things to which purestorm simply replied get over it
So I did!
I have to agree with red above here
And he probably left because he couldn't get any models this site didn't have what he needed not the post!

Posted 13 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
To be honest he was a bit odd anyway.  This thread took a couple of people by surprise with his reaction, I wasn't being a smartarse but simply informing him of somthing that a lot of people don't know about (just in case he didn't and subsequently wasted his money).
Posted 13 Nov 2014
RedChecker

To be honest he was a bit odd anyway.  This thread took a couple of people by surprise with his reaction, I wasn't being a smartarse but simply informing him of somthing that a lot of people don't know about (just in case he didn't and subsequently wasted his money).

eek, i thought your response was helpful, and the least "smartass" thing you have probably ever said!
Posted 13 Nov 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
RedChecker
Ok, I've just read that thread, and even if you weren't being a smartarse, starting your reply to his question with, 'You ought to know....' was bound to inflame and get a reaction. And tbh, I, and I dare say others, never knew split prisms didn't allow spot metering, so to be told, 'You ought to know,' comes across as patronising. But anyway, just saying, not looking to go off on a tangent of long, argumentative posts over this one little opinion.
Posted 13 Nov 2014
Edited by PaulManuell 13 Nov 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
There is always a balance to be made and sometimes some responses appear "over the top", indeed I have felt them myself, but seems excessive to become "sad" and the try and use that as the excuse to leave the site. (and publish it by posting it). It is difficult when you are very knowledgeable to sometimes appreciated that others are not, but if advice is offered then someone has at least taken the time to respond. Still we can only please some of the people some of the time!
Posted 15 Nov 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join