PAT Testing

42 posts
3 June 2014
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
If you are working professionally then it is a 'no brainer' to get it done.

My local village hall requires ant electrical equipment that is used there to be PAT tested - part of their insurers requirements.

What the 'letter of the law' says and what is expected can be different. If a venue says 'no testing, no use' you have an avoidable problem.

Some base-end e-bay mains heads and CE certification look dodgy and, one mainstream manufacturer found parts that will meet the requirements at the time of manufacture but are known to breakdown relatively quickly in a way that will no longer meet the standard.

Posted 28 June 2014
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
I'm electric! I just need to find a friend called Patrick and get him to ask me some questions and I too can go to the village hall...

Posted 28 June 2014
NTN_Photography
Photographer
NTN_Photography
Any person using electrical equipment as part of their work is required under the Provisional Use Of Work Equipment Requirement Regulations 1992 all electrical equipment must be PAT Tested. Various equipment have certain times i.e. 1, 2 or 3 years, but the majority of equipment is tested every year to ensure all has been tested. All electrical equipment is now tested under the recognised NIC EIC Electrical Regulations.

If your equipment is not tested and accident happens, you are liable for prosecutions at a minimum fine of £20,000 as a first offence. Please also note that it is intended that all fines passed by magistrates courts may increase by as much as 4 fold? So a 20,000 could be extended to £80,000

If anyone does not believe me, please feel free to check the PUWER Regulations?

Posted 28 June 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
According to the HSE website these regulations were replaced by the Prrovision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (1998. )

Posted 28 June 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 28 June 2014
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Still seems like "Common Sense" seems to be the order of the day. Visually inspect cables and plugs/sockets. Make sure stands are solid (tripods and light stands falling over or obstructing someone seems to be the biggest risks). The Government are trying to codify common sense.

Posted 29 June 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Good to see plenty of made up stuff still be spoken....

Test gear can be had for £300, course can be done on line for £30 - common sense.... priceless

Posted 29 June 2014
HeadSnipper
Photographer
HeadSnipper
PrimeTest50 from Seaward can be found for £190, no course required if you see yourself as competent. One thing that has not been stated thou which is very important, it must be calibrated every 12 months and have a certificate, price varies for calibration £80-£120. Any electrical wholesaler (Senate, CEF etc.) will be able to get it calibrated for you. They do not come calibrated, nor does any other electrical meter/ test equipment - the manufacturers do not want the responsibility and they do not know how long they are going to be on a shelf before they are sold, so it is pointless.
Alternatively any local electrician should be able to do it for you. The going rate is about £1.50 per item, but unless you have 50+ items he/she is unlikely to be interested.

Posted 1 July 2014
eebijeebi
Photographer
eebijeebi
PAT testing.
Portable appliance testing testing?

The job that most proper electricians hate (tedious and little profit) - but hate that it can be done by the 'little knowledge' brigade.

Posted 2 July 2014
rootofsilence
Photographer
rootofsilence
Plymjack
Phone charger for instance are all double insulated so do not need a test - but many companies will insist they do - now I wonder why!
Probably because people are cheap and will buy 99p 'made in china' phone chargers with fake markings that blow up.
Posted 2 July 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
rootofsilence

Probably because people are cheap and will buy 99p 'made in china' phone chargers with fake markings that blow up.

And how is PAT testing going to sort that - how does the tester know they are fake and will blow up?   If it is marked as double insulated then it wont get a test just a physcial examination, which wont prove anything!!....so would be of no use in this instance!
Posted 2 July 2014
gmart
Photographer
gmart
ive read quite lot of sh*t on this IT IS LAW NOT WHAT IS GOOD im an electrician any thing that has a plug on it is classed as a portable appliance its not just good practice to get it checked out its is law. where some one who is working with you or for you can get electrocuted from an item, double insulated mean its class 11 it can leak current so it gets checked for that too not just looked at the cable it take 30mAamps of power to kill some one mains voltage is 32anps ring main that's 30 thousaths of an amp to kill u which is why most rcd trips are 30 msec To prevent electrocution in a failure this is standad using well tested and proven equipment may cost u £50 to test it may be a numpty who tests it me excluded and it will stick in your throat but when some one is killed the law will check your equipment and if u can prove your equipment was tested then you wont get done for man slaughter just some thing less worrisome think about that and the fine will be lower because you did your bit to try and make your gear safe still think the £50 is too much now

Posted 13 July 2014
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
5 pages..... could this be a record?

Posted 13 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join