Are casting calls monitored or checked before posting?

Are casting calls monitored or checked before posting?

40 posts
30 April 2014
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
I was born in the early fifties and put a casting call out for a certain type of model and it caused quite a argument with a certain word I used,
How times have changed

Posted 30 April 2014
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
mph

The thing is, when your dad was young "black" was seen as derogatory and "coloured" used as the polite alternative! And then...............

And although "coloured" is a word you must not say, the ultra PC term for non-caucasians these days is "people of colour".

With things like this, it's all in the intent and usage. As above, coloured was the word of my mothers generation, she'd be horrified to find people were making negative inferrances from her use of a simple descriptive word.

Words change over time, such as spastics. It was the name of a charity that had shops in nearly every town. Now it's a bad word.
Posted 1 May 2014
Edited by PeterH 1 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
PeterH

Words change over time, such as spastics. It was the name of a charity that had shops in nearly every town. Now it's a bad word.

In the mid 80s it was a commonly heard derogatory term heard in most playgrounds, it was bad but still acceptible to use as a curse word among my peers.  On the odd occasion I've used it at work (most colleages are ~25-30 and I'd have directed it at one of them) they're utterly mortified I'd use such a word, so it's gone from a bad word to a really bad one in my lifetime (and yes, I remember the hilarity at school when using cards/stamps with "The Spastics Society" written on them" ).
Posted 1 May 2014
Edited by RedChecker 1 May 2014
gabby_d
Photographer
gabby_d
The original casting, refered to "Black" and "Oriental model", if I remember. Now as a man of colour, Black! I don't know of anyone who would be offended by that. As for the use of the word "Oriental", that is deemed a very derogatory word, so I am assuming that is the word the OP, was referring to. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_term_'Oriental'_offensive_to_Asian_people#page1
Posted 1 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
gabby_d

As for the use of the word "Oriental", that is deemed a very derogatory word, so I am assuming that is the word the OP, was referring to. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_term_'Oriental'_offensive_to_Asian_people#page1

But this is prodominantly a British-centric site and so any American slant on it is null/void to a degree, and would also be somewhat confusing to us as here we class asians as being typically from the Indian subcontinent.
Posted 1 May 2014
gabby_d

The original casting, refered to "Black" and "Oriental model", if I remember. Now as a man of colour, Black! I don't know of anyone who would be offended by that. As for the use of the word "Oriental", that is deemed a very derogatory word, so I am assuming that is the word the OP, was referring to. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_term_'Oriental'_offensive_to_Asian_people#page1

Link on that page http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_Jewish_people_have_curly_and_long_hair
Posted 1 May 2014
Edited by JadedRed 1 May 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
gabby_d

the_term_'Oriental'_offensive_to_Asian_people

I have a Chinese friend who hates the term Asian, because she thinks it lumps the Chinese in with the Pakistanis.

And I also know an Indian (Hindu) bloke who goes mad if anyone calls him a Muslim.

Monty Python on the subject....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F67JhKT5bxU&feature=kp

Dave
Posted 1 May 2014
Edited by Crippen 1 May 2014
Jackass
If this is about the use of the word "Black" in a casting call; my stepdaughter (who I adore) is African. I've just phoned her to ask her to describe her skin colour, she said black. I then asked her what was the colour of her cousins' skins, she said black. I then asked her what was the colour of Barack Obama's skin, she said, "Who's he?" Kids huh? Like the term or not, black/white is in full use out there, and is neither racist nor derogatory, it's just a convenient description - and socially acceptable to the hugest majority of all skin colours. I also asked my stepdaughter what my skin colour was, after a few seconds' thought she said that at first she couldn't remember - then she said pasty white! If I've got the wrong casting call I'll shut up
Ummm no the casting has been amended now. It originally referred to black models as "coloured" hence why I suggested to the guy he change it ASAP.
Posted 2 May 2014
You lot are literally deluded if you thought I found it offensive that the casting asked for a black model!? Why on earth would anyone find that offensive!?

If you read my post I said I contacted the poster of the casting call to let him know referring to models as "coloured" wasn't acceptable these days and he amended it to. Clearly you saw the amended version.

Posted 2 May 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
Hear hear Jess it does no harm to point people in the right direction. Yes some of a certain age may find an excuse in their age. It's a poor excuse we have to move with the times whether we like it or not. The bad days of yesteryear were bad years. Thankfully we have moved on to a better place for all. Isn't that the most important consideration a better place for all.

Posted 2 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join