Photographers and the Obsession with Copyright

Photographers and the Obsession with Copyright

35 posts
11 Feb 2014
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
My daughter wrote a piece of music which was on her last album, a few weeks ago the guitar rift was used by the BBC in a police car chase during the TV programme Top Gear. No royalties being paid, it seems the BBC are exempt from such fees, this is a copyright issue but seems the norm.

When I cover a wedding I download all images to a memory stick, both high and low definition on top of which when working with models I do very little editing, I certainly don't photoshop at all, I do give full consent to the model(s) / bride & groom to use the images however they wish including the use of photoshop should they want, but as an amateur I've nothing to gain or lose by doing so

Had I been a professional and depend on my images making my living then perhaps I'd be more concerned with copyright but do agree that if a copyright mark is applied then by having it removed without prior consent should be a case for the courts

Posted 14 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Biggles485

My daughter wrote a piece of music which was on her last album, a few weeks ago the guitar rift was used by the BBC in a police car chase during the TV programme Top Gear. No royalties being paid, it seems the BBC are exempt from such fees, this is a copyright issue but seems the norm.

Did she/her management chase this up?
Posted 15 Feb 2014
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Biggles485

Hi Paul. Your daughter should get her royalties through the PPL scheme not directly from the BBC. If the band haven't signed up for PPL they should do so now otherwise they will continue to miss out, the BBC are one of the biggest supporters of the scheme so they will get their money from PPL provided they are in the scheme.
Posted 15 Feb 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
DorsetHammer

Hi Paul. Your daughter should get her royalties through the PPL scheme not directly from the BBC.

Look here Paul.
Bob
Posted 15 Feb 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
I'm sure their publisher and record company and management know what they are doing.
Also note that he did not say that they played part or all of the original band recording.

Posted 15 Feb 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 15 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join