Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has...

Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has died a death ?

178 posts
21 Jan 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Socialdisaster
I was given to understand that it's a random selection of SFW photos from paid accounts? I remember asking, way back, as I got an image on the front page the day after I paid. And that certainly wasn't anything to do with quality! Have to admit, PP forums, I'm up to here with it. If only because it's full of models who need to discuss their mental health. F*** me, you don't do that in an office, why would you do it on PP? The only people I block there are what I call "the baggage brigade". And you have to leave ALL the share a shoot / port review groups for fear of drowning in sugar. Ah well. Fact is, anyone who can, and has any sense, should at least have a presence on all major sites. That's just good sense. PS. Wondered where you'd got to
And what are SFW photos? I wish you people using abbreviations would put in brackets what the letters stand for instead of just assuming everyone knows.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
PaulManuell

And what are SFW photos?

Doh! They're the opposite of NSFW.
Hell, even I know that one.
Bob

Posted 22 Jan 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
PaulManuell
And what are SFW photos? I wish you people using abbreviations would put in brackets what the letters stand for instead of just assuming everyone knows.
Most people do, so I don't. The rest can google it.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Socialdisaster
Most people do, so I don't. The rest can google it.
The fact most people do doesn't help those who don't. 'Google it' seems to be the standard smartarse reply from those who are so superior that explaining things is beneath them.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
PaulManuell

'Google it' seems to be the standard smartarse reply from those who are so superior that explaining things is beneath them.

... or maybe "Google it" is just logical advice to give those who can't be bothered looking up quite simple things for themselves - like this, for example.
Bob

Posted 22 Jan 2014
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Nobody seems to have considered that it's currently winter? I completely cease photographing models throughout the winter as I prefer location shoots to studios, and I'm a big softie. I'm sure there are many others who go into hibernation throughout the winter. Come the spring I'll be looking for models. All the models I've put aside in my favourite folders will have left, ceased to log in, stopped doing TF or put their rates up. You can count on it, so around April/May it's generally start afresh time!

Posted 22 Jan 2014
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
I have to admit though, this is the only site of its kind that I find friendly and easy to use. Seems a good community here on the whole, and that goes for models and photographers (and MUAs of course).
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Requiem
Photographer
Requiem
artistoli
I have to admit though, this is the only site of its kind that I find friendly and easy to use. Seems a good community here on the whole, and that goes for models and photographers (and MUAs of course).
Posted 22 Jan 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Bob
... or maybe "Google it" is just logical advice to give those who can't be bothered looking up quite simple things for themselves - like this, for example. Bob
No, 'Google it' IS a smartarse answer from someone with a superior attitude. What would've been wrong with a simple, 'SFW stands for.....' reply instead? What's lazy about asking a question on here and hoping to get the answer rather than googling it? I never realised we had to work for answers to questions that vastly more intelligent members know the answers to. I just assumed they'd be more than happy to share their knowledge. Obviously that's less fun for them than telling someone to Google it or making the person asking the question appear even thicker than he/she already is by adding a 'Doh' and a hand slapping the head face in their reply.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Edited by PaulManuell 22 Jan 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Rawandthecooked

Fpi  I know how it works! Cream rises to the top![/q

...Zilch nada niet to do with who you are 'followingsad

Posted 22 Jan 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Anyway, I am sure this is all interesting but most of the reasons given here may go to explain why its quiet on the forums but as most models don't go anywhere near the forums, it doesn't really explain their actions.

It is well known that any glamour model needs to have a portfolio on PS and most will have and a number probably get the bulk of their work on here. That all changes for art nude and fashion models - those that establish portfolios seldom use them and source most of their work from one or the other of the two main competitors.

They mostly don't give a crap about FPI's, recent image uploads and the forums. They care about whether there are sufficient serious approaches for work in their genres. Most of the art nude and fashion models I have worked with either shut down or abandoned their ports because of unsuitable or unsavoury approaches from chancer photographers. They exist on all sites but unfortunately PS's success for glamour has had a negative effect on art nude and fashion models. It has always been a problem but now there is a major UK competitor, some people are able to easily choose where they feel comfortable getting their work.

Most models are interested in paid work, within their levels and quality expectations. Anything else is pretty irrelevant and they will actively use those sites that provide this for them. Where there are models, there will be photographers so to me it is why are the models not so active that is the most important question.

In a way, I quite like the differences between the sites as you get choice and diversity. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and those that are able to pursue 2 or 3 of the major sites will find enough choice available.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
I don't understand all the fuss about FPIs. I had one on PP which had been on here for months without receiving a single comment! Likewise, my most commented on image on PS was lambasted when I first submitted it. Surely how we view the success of a site should be on the interaction of it's members and how we can work together to each other's benefit.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
PaulManuell

No, 'Google it' IS a smartarse answer from someone with a superior attitude. What would've been wrong with a simple, 'SFW stands for.....' reply instead? What's lazy about asking a question on here and hoping to get the answer rather than googling it? I never realised we had to work for answers to questions that vastly more intelligent members know the answers to. I just assumed they'd be more than happy to share their knowledge. Obviously that's less fun for them than telling someone to Google it or making the person asking the question appear even thicker than he/she already is by adding a 'Doh' and a hand slapping the head face in their reply.

Not really. This is the Age of Information and Google has the immediate answer to many questions and, if you try it, I think you'll find that looking things up is not quite the hard work you think it is. If you reckon that's an unwelcome answer, have a look at some of Iconic's early threads!
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
Up until a couple of years ago I would shoot two or three models every weekend but started to realise that by saving that money could book a Villa on Cyprus and ship a number of models out to work with, all expenses paid. One Christmas I had ten shoots lined up, only three took place, that was a turning point for me, unreliability and lack of communications. This year I've booked another Villa with infinity pool, sauna and jacuzzi on Cyprus, I put an early "feeler" casting call out and messaged a couple of models I thought fitted the bill pointing them towards that casting call, one response from a relative new model was that she thought a 100 Euros for a weeks shoot was a rip off! Seemed to miss the fact the whole package was worth about £1000 to her and that I only shoot for about two hours a day any one / combinations of model(s), on the previous three similar shoots I shot no more than 2000 images each trip in total, such is the heritage of using a Mamiya RZ67! I agree that money is a factor in the decline, but think that would be models are now realising that to be "Britain's next top model" they might just have to work at it and not just stand in front of a camera and dream! In other words, not as easy as they thought!
Posted 22 Jan 2014
jonathantennant
Photographer
jonathantennant
I've gone over to PP as this site is dead.

At the SWPP convention most photographers that shoot models use PP exclusively now. I fear Purestorm will go the same way as NetModels has.

J

Posted 22 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join