"Slut"

44 posts
20 Sep 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
pompeytog
So you would rather ignore, or even better, ban the media from reporting anything that relates to foreigners who commit crime whilst a guest in this country?  (just checked in the mirror and not seeing any swivel eyed loon looking back at me)
Even if it were mostly true, and some of what he actually said certainly isn't literally true, what does it have to do with the problems in this country? The shoplifting gangs are not immigrants, they are tourists. Are police catching them ? What's the problem? How does it effect you in Portsmouth or the people who don't live in London. What proportion of Foreign tourists are criminals ? What proportion of Romanians who come to this country are in fact engaged in crime ? Is he saying that all Romanians are criminals ? What's his point? You are supposed to think that all Foreigners are criminals and if only we were't in the EC British criminals wouldn't have this 'unfair?' competition. On the other hand you might think that local criminals are more efficient and don't appear in his arrest figures. Many English tourists in (for example) Spain are rowdy, unpleasant and drunkenly violent. I think you will find that the number of English people arrested for violent disorder in some Spanish towns would represent well over 90% of such arrests. Do you think that Spain should refuse entry to all English people? His comment about more people immigrating to this country in 2010 than in the previous 1000 years either shows he is stupid, or he thinks his audience are stupid enough to believe it.
Posted 22 Sep 2013
Edited by stolenfaces 22 Sep 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
stolenfaces

His comment about more people immigrating to this country in 2010 than in the previous 1000 years either shows he is stupid, or he thinks his audience are stupid enough to believe it.

Most of the political commentators from left, right and centre , incidentally the Guardian ripped off the Channel 4 blog almost word for word on this, think he meant that immigration in 2010 was higher than any single year previously. not cumulatively. I agree however that like the Romanian comment the delivery left a lot to be desired.

Posted 22 Sep 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
There seems to be a constant within political debate, demonstrated quite adequately in this thread. It's appearance in any political debate is almost inevitable, and becomes inevitable when the subject debated is any political organisation that might be regarded as 'right wing'. It is that the critics of the 'right wing' organisations will state their case in the form of abuse and insults, often declining to provide any evidence to support any opinions offered, if indeed they stoop so low as to offer any coherent opinions.

Posted 22 Sep 2013
Edited by Sdeve 22 Sep 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Sdeve

There seems to be a constant within political debate, demonstrated quite adequately in this thread. It's appearance in any political debate is almost inevitable, and becomes inevitable when the subject debated is any political organisation that might be regarded as 'right wing'. It is that the critics of the 'right wing' organisations will state their case in the form of abuse and insults, often declining to provide any evidence to support any opinions offered, if indeed they stoop so low as to offer any coherent opinions.

How very true!

Even if one doesn't agree with the other party's political views, if one has to resort to personal insults in an attempt to win an argument rather than through rational debate then they don't have an argument! Simple!

Posted 22 Sep 2013
Edited by tonycsm 22 Sep 2013
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Sdeve

Perhaps it is apposte to remind you of the fact:-  The phrase "Swivel eyed loons"  was in fact made by the Conservative Party - About thier very own members. sad 

Posted 22 Sep 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
jivago
Perhaps it is apposte to remind you of the fact:-  The phrase "Swivel eyed loons"  was in fact made by the Conservative Party - About thier very own members.  
Much as those of African heritage who may use the unsayable 'N' word whith impunity when talking about their own. Politicians of all colours are often less than complimentary about both their supporters and their opponents, but will occassionaly thrown in some facts. But every liberal leftist I have ever heard will descend, in minutes, seconds even, to the language of vitriolic hate for anyone they perceive to be 'right wing'. Such people. when discussing, for instance, the BNP, will damn them to hell as neo nazi racists. But ask them what the policies of the BNP are and they will mostly reply that they have never read them, amd would not do so. They just 'know, they're evil personified, and that is sufficient, although how they found out is anyone's guess. For the record, I think they are a minority party for tossers. But I've at least read their policies in order to form that opinion.
Posted 22 Sep 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Sdeve

But every liberal leftist I have ever heard will descend, in minutes, seconds even, to the language of vitriolic hate for anyone they perceive to be 'right wing'. .

Which is why until fairly recently the subject of immigration was taboo in the MSM in the U.K.

Posted 22 Sep 2013
CPPhoto
Photographer
CPPhoto
stolenfaces
Even if he genuinely believes these lies, it doesn't make it true, or an acceptable opinion.
Aren't all 'opinions' valid - just because one might not agree with them, doesn't make them any less valid?
Posted 23 Sep 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
I'm just waiting for Godwin's Law to come into play which it invariably does whenever politics and immigration issues are combined!

Having  said that, give it time!
Posted 23 Sep 2013
Edited by tonycsm 23 Sep 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
tonycsm

I'm just waiting for Godwin's Law to come into play which it invariably does whenever politics and immigration issues are combined!

Having  said that, give it time!

Has the 'Daily Mail' cliché been thrown in yet?
Posted 23 Sep 2013
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
For the avoidance of doubt, Godwin's law merely states tha a certain issue's appearace is inevitable if an internet discussion continues for long enough, and not that the mention of the issue is automatically a failure.

As for the Daily Mail cliche, that really is an extension of my suggestion about ranting. Because someone will disagree with some or any of the opinions expressed in the Daily Mail then much as they apply immediate vitriolic hatred to any political organisation they disagree with, they will assert that anything printed in the Daily Mail, from the date on the front, to the page numbers, and the likes of football results is nothing but lies. Thus 'thinks' the left.

Posted 23 Sep 2013
Edited by Sdeve 23 Sep 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
I think the problem begins the instant a person categorises someone as "left-" or "right-wing" as a preliminary (sometimes the only preliminary) to agreeing or disagreeing with them.

This seems to occur incredibly often, with "left" and "right" characterisations occurring about equally as often.

Most people can find at least some of my opinions abhorrent as I have some opinions that are conventionally regarded as right-wing and some left.

Posted 24 Sep 2013
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
jivago

Poor ploy - Nothing I wrote could have led you to the question you asked. (As for restricting freedom of speech - The Conservatives stand accused of that this very year sad  ).

If the headline had been more informed, balanced and less sensational - Then there may have been a point. In my expereince that is far too much to expect from the 'Swivel-Eyed's' tabloid? The audience it was aimed at is obvious and the inferences it suggests are quite possibly racist?

How is the weather in 'Dixie'? 'Chowed' your 'grits' yet? 

You so brighten my day with your rantings Jivago, funny guy.

Posted 24 Sep 2013
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
stolenfaces

Even if it were mostly true, and some of what he actually said certainly isn't literally true, what does it have to do with the problems in this country? The shoplifting gangs are not immigrants, they are tourists. Are police catching them ? What's the problem? How does it effect you in Portsmouth or the people who don't live in London. What proportion of Foreign tourists are criminals ? What proportion of Romanians who come to this country are in fact engaged in crime ? Is he saying that all Romanians are criminals ? What's his point? You are supposed to think that all Foreigners are criminals and if only we were't in the EC British criminals wouldn't have this 'unfair?' competition. On the other hand you might think that local criminals are more efficient and don't appear in his arrest figures. Many English tourists in (for example) Spain are rowdy, unpleasant and drunkenly violent. I think you will find that the number of English people arrested for violent disorder in some Spanish towns would represent well over 90% of such arrests. Do you think that Spain should refuse entry to all English people? His comment about more people immigrating to this country in 2010 than in the previous 1000 years either shows he is stupid, or he thinks his audience are stupid enough to believe it.

In answer to your first paragraph, I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions of how foreign "tourist crime" affects me in Portsmouth. 

Second paragraph. The way the Spanish government or police force deal with rowdy tourists is their own affair and nothing to do with me. Personally I am ashamed of my countrymen when ever I see first hand or on the news, about Englishmen/women behaving like twats abroad. I have no sympathy for drunken idiots being dealt with harshly in the country they choose to behave that way in, but I doubt those countries would be too harsh for fear of losing the trade these louts provide to their economies.

Posted 24 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join