Mornington Crescent

Mornington Crescent

134 posts
2 Dec 2007
right. well in that case im going to fire up this game with a swift hainault. i know its dodgy but this is the first time ive played so go easy on me..
Posted 10 April 2008
regthecat
Photographer
regthecat
lovebird

right. well in that case im going to fire up this game with a swift hainault. i know its dodgy but this is the first time ive played so go easy on me..
A hainault? from a beginner.....that is very brave. I take it from that opening gambit that you must be close to hammersmith and aware of other players sinking your 'braven driscoll' should you be bluffing?

I can only call your bluff and go with an Acton and Wimbledon double fluffer. Be careful - your next move could backfire if you haven't read the 'Tale of two trams' by Desmond Postlethwaite (Dircon Press 195.......if you are a fan of his and have read the novel you will know that Miss Favertwant opened the game with that very move. She was found dead in the Drawing room 24hrs later............sad8
Posted 11 April 2008
Edited by regthecat 12 April 2008
Lizzie_P
Photographer
Lizzie_P
Is Hainault permitted under 'Finsbury' rules? At this point in the proceedings it seems a somewhat odd strategy.

Posted 12 April 2008
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Yes, I believe that it's permitted. Without giving away too much of Lovebird's strategy, I suspect that she's intending to continue that game after she flies to Lanzarote next week, in which case she will be technically  "In Spoon" (validated as a corruption of "in Spain" under the 1995 Bloomburg Errata, section 12b) so Hainault would be the ideal move if she is planning a Kensington Reversal...
Posted 12 April 2008
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops

I'll play the "Kharkiv" Ukrainian side step to Pushkinskaya Street. A move not used since its inception in a game between Zsar Nicholas the 3rd and King Boris of the Ukraine in 1826, that should get a few looking in the rule book.

John

Posted 12 April 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
Careful, she might know how to Tashkent you with a Bialystock and then you'll be in trouble!

Posted 12 April 2008
Two_stops

I'll play the "Kharkiv" Ukrainian side step to Pushkinskaya Street. A move not used since its inception in a game between Zsar Nicholas the 3rd and King Boris of the Ukraine in 1826, that should get a few looking in the rule book.

John

haha! i know im a beginner, but that doesn't mean im BRAINDEAD. i am simply going to cut you up with a safe heathrow (terminals 1, 2 & 3 of course). and i will take shelter here while you lot clear the path for my next move which i guarantee will have you wishing i hadnt entered this game..
Posted 13 April 2008

oops i feel a fool nowashamed2

ive just realised i havent taken into account Milijevic's Transient Theorem, which effectively weakens any positional advantage i had. never mind, what's done is done. eat me alive guys..

Posted 13 April 2008
regthecat
Photographer
regthecat
It certainly does. The theorem you talk about was developed, as you probably know - around 657BC by a good friend of hypotenuse. Of course in those days it wasn't relevent to MC, but did cause a catastrophic international emabarassment to the USA when Fischer and Kasparov applied it to Mornington Crescent in a supposed friendly to break up the boredom of Chess Masters in '68. Since then it has been associated with 'future forecasting' in a number of sports and games - and with terminal 5 now here and the 2012 Olympics it seems a reticent move. I can see from this that far from being a beginner you are a seasoned pro.

i have one answer to that - go back to Old Kent Road and re start the chugger (no Quimps until you reach baker Street. You can accept a Proovaaal (The South African Rule - 1986), and miss a go.

Docklands - I will treble my bet.
Posted 13 April 2008
Gperu
Model
Gperu
What the hell, I'm going with Marylebone - First timer, JUST BECAUSE I LIVE THERE! happy7
Posted 13 April 2008

I always thought of myself as being reasonably intelligent. Until I read this thread.

Nope, I'm as dumb as a post happy7

Posted 14 April 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander
Trying to use the old Stanislavsky Bluff are you? It won't work Hollie, too many people have read your posts.happy8.
Posted 15 April 2008
If I mentioned the Icarus Proxy would you know what I was talking about?

Posted 15 April 2008
Lysander
Photographer
Lysander

If your refering to the falloff of crater formation on the moon, then I might have a rough idea of what your talking about,

if it's a nightclub in Doncaster,then no, I wasn't thrown out for dancing on the tables and kissing the bouncers, I don't do that sort of thing and anyway I've never gotten that drunk, at least I don't remember anything about that night, it must have been someone else!happy8happy8happy8.

Posted 16 April 2008
I have a Waterloo for Reg, if he still wants it, but I'd have to warn him I can see a Kings Cross St Pancras finesse on the horizon.

Posted 24 April 2008
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join