'London' is a bit vague

'London' is a bit vague

61 posts
24 March 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The rest of the country doesn't need sorting as I said earlier - just the town is sufficient (OK Birmingham may be an exception) but with London if you're coming from outside the M25 and having to cross all the way over to the other side of the M25 it's a big enough slog to put me off, especially considering how tired I get through a shoot knowing I have to drive all the way back. Interestingly I contacted a model yesterday to enquire roughly whereabouts in London she's based (a simple enough question) - she's read the message and not replied so I'm guessing she must think I'm dodgy or something for asking.
Posted 25 March 2012
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker

The rest of the country doesn't need sorting as I said earlier - just the town is sufficient (OK Birmingham may be an exception) but with London if you're coming from outside the M25 and having to cross all the way over to the other side of the M25 it's a big enough slog to put me off, especially considering how tired I get through a shoot knowing I have to drive all the way back. Interestingly I contacted a model yesterday to enquire roughly whereabouts in London she's based (a simple enough question) - she's read the message and not replied so I'm guessing she must think I'm dodgy or something for asking.

If she hasn't replied I expect that she either isn't interested in work at this time, isn't interested in working with you or just isn't interested in ping-pong if you didn't give her any thoughts on what sort of shoot you might be considering. And if you did give her thoughts, such as you driving to her, maybe they were not of interest.
If it's because she's flakey then you have saved yourself a bad experience. On the other-hand she may not have replied for many reasons including not having time to write a professional reply.

Posted 25 March 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
stolenfaces
If she hasn't replied I expect that she either isn't interested in work at this time, isn't interested in working with you or just isn't interested in ping-pong if you didn't give her any thoughts on what sort of shoot you might be considering. And if you did give her thoughts, such as you driving to her, maybe they were not of interest. If it's because she's flakey then you have saved yourself a bad experience. On the other-hand she may not have replied for many reasons including not having time to write a professional reply.
or even because some models take Sunday off to focus on their families. Give them a day or two to reply, like us all they don't sit in front of their computers waiting for messages from RedChecker to arrive and instantly reply to them.
Posted 25 March 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
You do know the M25 is a circular motorway and actually goes around London. You actually drive around it to get to the other parts of London instead of having to drive through it, hence avoiding the traffic, speed cameras, congestion charging zone, etc. It's a marvel of the modern world provided you hit it at the right time of day.
Posted 25 March 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

or even because some models take Sunday off to focus on their families. 

Yet she had time to log on and read the message

All she had to do was type what borough - like I said, a simple, straight forward question demanding a simple straight forward answer, her loss of £2-300 I guess.
Posted 25 March 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

You do know the M25 is a circular motorway and actually goes around London. You actually drive around it to get to the other parts of London instead of having to drive through it, hence avoiding the traffic, speed cameras, congestion charging zone, etc. It's a marvel of the modern world provided you hit it at the right time of day.

Yes, and it would still take a couple of hours to get around to the other side by driving on the M25
Posted 25 March 2012
Edited by RedChecker 25 March 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
Yet she had time to log on and read the message All she had to do was type what borough - like I said, a simple, straight forward question demanding a simple straight forward answer, her loss of £2-300 I guess.
You seem to believe models aren't busy people and expect them to reply immediately. Unfortunately the world isn't like that. I'd suggest giving her a day or so to reply. If she doesn't send her a single reminder email. I'd she reads it and still doesn't reply then assume she's not interested and find another model.
Posted 25 March 2012
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker

Yet she had time to log on and read the message

All she had to do was type what borough - like I said, a simple, straight forward question demanding a simple straight forward answer, her loss of £2-300 I guess.

Any professionally minded model would doubtless want to check out your profile before replying professionally. In the modern age many people check their messages on mobile phones and do not reply until they have some time at their computer.
If I was a model reading your comments I would wonder whether £2-300 was worth working with someone who seems so uptight and demanding.

Just for your info, if you travel at the right time (such as early morning at the weekend) it takes an hour to travel half-way around the M25. There aren't very many models in Sevenoaks anyway.

Posted 25 March 2012
Bob
Photographer
Bob
RedChecker

Yes, and it would still take a couple of hours to get around to the other side by driving on the M25

And?

If the subject interests you enough, what's a couple of hours behind the wheel?

It takes me a couple of hours just to drive to the airport for some of my shoots, followed by a couple of hours of boredom in Departures and at least a couple of hours in the air before a couple more hours driving to the location. But then again, I'm not a self-confessed lazy git who expects everything on a plate. Maybe that's why I seldom find models ignoring my messages.

Bob 
Posted 25 March 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
stolenfaces
Just for your info, if you travel at the right time (such as early morning at the weekend) it takes an hour to travel half-way around the M25. There aren't very many models in Sevenoaks anyway.
Which is precisely why I like doing shoots on Sundays particularly in London. The traffic non-existent if you set off at 7:30am on a Sunday morning and you can arrive at the location on time and stress free. You can do M3 to Orpington in 45 minutes provided the traffic control speed cameras aren't active and they're not on a Sunday morning.
Posted 25 March 2012
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
HowardJ

Which is precisely why I like doing shoots on Sundays particularly in London. The traffic non-existent if you set off at 7:30am on a Sunday morning and you can arrive at the location on time and stress free. You can do M3 to Orpington in 45 minutes provided the traffic control speed cameras aren't active and they're not on a Sunday morning.

I think any cameras are active at 70mph when there is no additional restriction, why wouldn't they be ?

Posted 25 March 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I've not tried it myself, but judging by the many other cars that drive through the clockwise section from junction 10 at 80-85 mph when the traffic control is off and don't get flashed, I'm not convinced they work unless the restriction signs are lit.

Posted 25 March 2012
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
There aren't many actual cameras. I think they are likely to be in the outside lane and particularly unlikely to be in lane 2. Maybe someone has some inside info but there doesn't seem any logic in having a camera not switched on when there's money to be made...

Posted 25 March 2012
ajc07977
Photographer
ajc07977
I have contributed to another thread like this recently & I agree that it is WAY too wide to just say 'London'. What would be easiest (and not a threat to privacy like a 7 digit postcode) would be to put the FIRST part of your postcode in a compulsory section that is shown on your profile - e.g. NW10, E1, E17, SW2 etc. IN fact ANYWHERE in the UK - this is handy. If someone states IP10 ... then I immediately know that they live very near to me and somewhere east of Ipswich, west of Felixstowe. EASY Out more in the sticks then this is even more important (as the 1st part of a postcode can cover a vast area ... where as say an RM postcode (Dagenham etc), can be condensed into just a few square miles).
Posted 25 March 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
stolenfaces
There aren't many actual cameras. I think they are likely to be in the outside lane and particularly unlikely to be in lane 2. Maybe someone has some inside info but there doesn't seem any logic in having a camera not switched on when there's money to be made...
to be honest I'm not convinced that there aren't many cameras. they switched them all digital years ago and they send their pics to a control centre. I've seen them flash on all the lanes including two lanes on the same gantry at almost the same time. However I've seen people fly by at 85 on a Friday morning in rush hour without setting off any cameras.
Posted 25 March 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join