River meets Nick Giles...

River meets Nick Giles...

91 posts
28 Sep 2011
ciaran
Photographer
ciaran
Andy_B

Wow, ciaran - that's an unpleasant post.

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke in real life (never met him)... but while Nick was here he trolled for England. PS is a MUCH nicer place now, and his absence played a part in that improvement.

He seemed to have a lot of time-outs and 'second chances' before he was turfed out for good. I don't think he was treated unfairly.

Yeah perhaps... but strange that you don't see Serena's post as unpleasant?

As I said, I don't know Nick from being on PS. I'm not doubting that he stirred the pot, trolled and probably upset a lot of people & ruffled a lot of feathers. But does that make it OK for Serena to character assassinate him in a critique thread, particularly without the right to reply? At least I haven't assassinated her character - I've simply questioned her integrity, which is easily proved (either way) by her showing the proof of the pudding... i.e. the pics
Posted 28 Sep 2011
Edited by ciaran 28 Sep 2011
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
ciaran

Yeah perhaps... but strange that you don't see Serena's post as unpleasant?

Not really. I thought it was fairly measured.
Posted 28 Sep 2011
MichaelM
Photographer
MichaelM
Lovely shots, but would you expect anything less from Mr Giles. Superb work both

Posted 28 Sep 2011
lazeeboy
Photographer
lazeeboy
 "But does that make it OK for Serena to character assassinate him in a critique thread, particularly without the right to reply? "

It's a bit rude, especially as his work is good.
Posted 28 Sep 2011
Andy_B

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke in real life (never met him)... but while Nick was here he trolled for England. PS is a MUCH nicer place now, and his absence played a part in that improvement.

It might be a nicer place for you, but let me tell you, on the models' side of the fence PS seems to have taken an unpleasant turn for the worse since a couple of people left or were booted ...

I'm totally in agreement with Ciaran here that any comments about Nick and his presence here were completely unfounded on a thread which was supposed to be about River's pictures and feedback.  Serena wasn't the only one, but she was the first and opened the floodgates.  It was uncalled for and off topic.

River, I think 2 is absolutely beautiful.  I personally would put one of these up and sod what everyone else thinks.  As I said to another clothed only model recently, you can always put a note on your profile saying something like 'I very rarely work to implied topless but I am very selective about the projects I choose to work to this level on'.  That way no one can get the hump that you say you do something you don't.  You run the risk of people moaning 'well you worked it with him, why not me?' but that's a risk you run when saying yes or no to an offer anyway.  But these are lovely shots, 2 especially, and it would be a shame if they weren't seen simply because some idiots might hassle you

Posted 28 Sep 2011
River
Model
River
Thanks Fleur and to all others who have posted comments about the images and not about Nick/reason why he was banned/if his work is good or not etc. That was the point of the post after all Really appriciate everything you are saying and will take on board everyones opinions. Many thanks
Posted 28 Sep 2011
ciaran
Your posts continue to amaze me Serena. You list Steve_Stanford as being one of the best art nude photographers, yet you think Nicks work has lost the plot? If anything, this statement suggests that it is you have lost the plot? Regardless of his blunt nature (possibly even what some people may consider abusive), his work stands on it's own and to try and bring it down, simply because you don't like the guy is pretty pathetic. Whilst I now know Nick from FaceBook, I was pretty new here when he was banned, so can't comment on why he was banned, or on what running spats you may both have had,. But from what little I do know of him and his work, I just can't imagine you'd be his type of model, so can't believe he'd actually have worked with you? Of course, if I'm wrong, I'd love to see the images? If not, perhaps most of the other things you say about him are fibs too? A little OT... sorry River (shots are lovely BTW)
+1 I don't think its really on to bring up an opinion like that behind someone's back on a forum they're banned on. I've met and worked with Nick myself, and have found him to be a perfectly professional photographer who produces good work. Back on topic, River they are all stunning but number 2 is awesome
Posted 28 Sep 2011
digineil
Photographer
digineil
River

Thanks Fleur and to all others who have posted comments about the images and not about Nick/reason why he was banned/if his work is good or not etc. That was the point of the post after all Really appriciate everything you are saying and will take on board everyones opinions. Many thanks

Sorry River but I just wondered where NG had vanished to.   I had no problem with Nick except for his abuse of animals for so called  " sport ".   Other than that he seemed a OK bloke frown
Posted 28 Sep 2011
 Enough about Nick Giles.
Posted 28 Sep 2011
Simon_P
Photographer
Simon_P
Not sure about the crash helmet ones, though certainly good quality images, just not really to my taste, really like the two mask ones, very nice.

Posted 28 Sep 2011
Vas
Model
Vas
I actually prefer the first one to the rest - I just thing it works better as a cohesive image.

If you like the implied topless ones, put them on - you're not obliged to work to any level with anybody. If they get the hump about it it's largely their problem.

As for the posts about Nick - it's interesting that people accuse him of bullying while bitching about him when he has no means to reply. What exactly do you call that? I saw nothing at all unpleasant about Ciaran's post, I see it as unpleasant when people decide to bring up former members of the site to insult or ridicule them behind their backs. As for Nick's work - it is and was fantastic work, and hasn't lost the plot at all, although I'm sure he won't worry too much about your opinion.

Posted 28 Sep 2011
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Vas

I actually prefer the first one to the rest - I just thing it works better as a cohesive image. If you like the implied topless ones, put them on - you're not obliged to work to any level with anybody. If they get the hump about it it's largely their problem. As for the posts about Nick - it's interesting that people accuse him of bullying while bitching about him when he has no means to reply. What exactly do you call that? I saw nothing at all unpleasant about Ciaran's post, I see it as unpleasant when people decide to bring up former members of the site to insult or ridicule them behind their backs. As for Nick's work - it is and was fantastic work, and hasn't lost the plot at all, although I'm sure he won't worry too much about your opinion.

RE the question in the thread:- River is very beautiful and has some strong portraits on her portfolio. His work can be superb! – But regarding the thread shots, there does not seem to be very much challenging, nor original about the shots here. He has done much better work. River has better  work in my opinion – For what it is worth!

RE the quote above:- Ha Ha! - Sophistry and predictable at best – You will know very well the circumstances leading to the ban and Serena is entitled to her view. Giles espoused some views that were highly objectionable and crass to many. It is a fact that he was banned for causing offence. In the real world, the type of comments he made would have led to him being sacked from many work places or probably asked to leave public places. PURESTORM probably felt that it had duty to the wider membership and a corporate responsibility.

I went head to head with him in a few threads and actually got private messages from what seemed like his own little coterie. It seemed like the cult of the bully in the school playground. For those that defend those type of comments – What does it say about your own standards? – No don’t bother answering sad

Goodbye re Giles

Posted 28 Sep 2011
Lillith_in_Bloom
Photographer
Lillith_in_B..
jivago

RE the question in the thread:- River is very beautiful and has some strong portraits on her portfolio. His work can be superb! – But regarding the thread shots, there does not seem to be very much challenging, nor original about the shots here. He has done much better work. River has better  work in my opinion – For what it is worth!

RE the quote above:- Ha Ha! - Sophistry and predictable at best – You will know very well the circumstances leading to the ban and Serena is entitled to her view. Giles espoused some views that were highly objectionable and crass to many. It is a fact that he was banned for causing offence. In the real world, the type of comments he made would have led to him being sacked from many work places or probably asked to leave public places. PURESTORM probably felt that it had duty to the wider membership and a corporate responsibility.

I went head to head with him in a few threads and actually got private messages from what seemed like his own little coterie. It seemed like the cult of the bully in the school playground. For those that defend those type of comments – What does it say about your own standards? – No don’t bother answering sad

Goodbye re Giles

+1!!!!!

On the subject of the portfolio images, some really strong shots there, but I dont think they really add anything to your portfolio, and there is not much point putting up images indicating levels that your no longer doing
Posted 28 Sep 2011
For Gods sake people, this is meant to be a thread to review River`s pictures and not of the person who took them, regardless what you think of him. If you don`t like him that much, go and tell him personally. River, I like the first three, with 2 being the favourite because of your eyes
Posted 28 Sep 2011
psn
Photographer
psn
nice helmet

Posted 28 Sep 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join