Where to start for wedding photography all feedback welcome

Where to start for wedding photography all feedback welcome

21 posts
31 Oct 2016
oscar
Photographer
oscar
MG
16 to 20 hours? It isn't unusual to shoot 2000 images at a wedding.
Sorry to go off topic but in the days of film packages tended to be based on the number of rolls of film. Albums containing 24/30 images were basic with some containing up to72. Somewhere I have a book which lists about 150 suggested images with 30 listed as essential. Given the normal limited amount of time between the service and the start of the reception how and what do you capture?
Posted 5 Nov 2016
MG
Photographer
MG
oscar

Sorry to go off topic but in the days of film packages tended to be based on the number of rolls of film. Albums containing 24/30 images were basic with some containing up to72. Somewhere I have a book which lists about 150 suggested images with 30 listed as essential. Given the normal limited amount of time between the service and the start of the reception how and what do you capture?

Completely agree with you but photography has changed somewhat now. I used to work in the film days too (just) but now it seems quite common to shoot 2000 shots at a wedding. The last wedding I shot I took 2,525 shots with two cameras. If you glance down in Lightroom for shots on jobs then I think most people would tell the same story. As I said, I agree that it sounds excessive but that was a 14 hour day. That is less than 100 shots an hour on each camera. I shot a shorter wedding that was around 6 hours in total and I shot just under 1000 images. 

Posted 5 Nov 2016
Another alternative is to invest in some proper Wedding photography tuition - (serves two purposes - gives you hands on experience and confidence; plus a good course will offer post course support.) I trained with Ray Davenport in Southampton - sadly now retired. But there are a stack of equally competent providers around. Good luck
Posted 17 Nov 2016
Davenwuk
Photographer
Davenwuk
Thanks to you all for your advice and feedback

Posted 21 Nov 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
You're far more than a year away from shooting a wedding, even for free. Get some general training in using your camera first. Nail that, then consider shooting a wedding.

Posted 27 Jan 2017
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
I had a go at wedding photography last year for friends...... never again! It is very hard work. My advice is to make sure you got a very good assistant who can carry your stuff from room to room. Good luck!
Posted 27 Jan 2017
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join