....amateur classification should not mean amateur attitude...

....amateur classification should not mean amateur attitude...

20 posts
19 June 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Unfortunately "pro" merely means that they have at some time received some reward for their work, whether that be money or not is irrelevant. But your comment does actually reflect my thoughts I was trying to be polite but since you were not I have to say that I agree. Based on the website I have to ask why anybody would employ that person to do work, I trust that they have another position to go to since if I were there boss and the work was of the same standard as the website the person hiring would be fired as incompetent.

Posted 20 June 2015
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
RedChecker

I love this site

Likewise!
Posted 20 June 2015
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
I can see why a few folk has laid into the OP a bit – they are worried by the competition and will thus do anything to denigrate someone who is clearly a master photographer. His web site is a work of genius, cleverly designed to align to the current trend for re-working the 60’s, the use of multiple fonts on the same page is sublime and the pink background and highlights is just sheer Austin Powers shizzle. For goodness sakes, he even has an animated GIF on one page that wipes over contact numbers, brilliant and leading edge stuff. Oh wait a minute though, his email address is just a made up @hotmail.com one, not his own domain. Clearly not as professional as I first thought. Disappointing.
Posted 21 June 2015
Edited by cgwebster 21 June 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
cgwebster

I can see why a few folk has laid into the OP a bit – they are worried by the competition and will thus do anything to denigrate someone who is clearly a master photographer. His web site is a work of genius, cleverly designed to align to the current trend for re-working the 60’s, the use of multiple fonts on the same page is sublime and the pink background and highlights is just sheer Austin Powers shizzle. For goodness sakes, he even has an animated GIF on one page that wipes over contact numbers, brilliant and leading edge stuff. Oh wait a minute though, his email address is just a made up @hotmail.com one, not his own domain. Clearly not as professional as I first thought. Disappointing.

Do i detect a note of sarcasm? Also of course I was taught that one used a capital letter when naming towns, I am sorry but having seen the site I can understand why a model decided not to proceed, it would have been polite to have told him that she had changed her mind, but I can understand.

The comment re the hotmail account I don't understand, the guy appears at least to have his own domain, so why doesn't he use it for email, even if it was referred to a hotmail account it would look a lot better.

Posted 21 June 2015
Edited by LaurenceJPower 21 June 2015
I do think that some models - especially newer models see the words "paid/published/professional" and they see the £ signs and their names in starry lights before actually looking to see what the photographers work may be like. I remember when I started out I was offered all sorts of paid/published work but I was fortunate enough to know a few photographers who I could go to for guidance and advice - they have much better bullshit detectors than I did.

The good news is it seems that despite models initially being super impressed they engaged in their brains before fully booking/confirming the shoot - so avoided being disappointed by the lack of publication or decent images.

What I will never understand is why some photographers aren't more honest with their experience/skill level - if your a newbie or haven't shot in 30 years so a bit rusty its better to be honest than to attempt to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Posted 21 June 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join