Softbox accessories ( and repairs )

21 posts
14 March 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
NATKINS

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Since they're an American reseller it's worth pointing out you'll pay through the nose for the likes of FedEx / UPS delivery from them, even on the most insignificant of items.  Not to mention potential import duty charges.
Posted 16 March 2015
Edited by RedChecker 16 March 2015
DKirk
Photographer
DKirk
photomane9
RedChecker Well that's me well & truely confused. Not sure if this is what stufreeman had in mind, but  Maplins sell stuff called Polymorph which would be ideal for repairing the ends of the rods. Chuck a heaped teaspoonful of granules in a pan of boiling water then once they've turned transparent and amalgamated, fish them out with a fork and mould the Polymorph into a suitable shape around the end of the rod using your fingers and leave to harden. Two minute job. As for repairing the corner of the fabric, if there's room to get into the little pocket, push in a piece of duct tape, sticky side first. You will probably need a piece about one inch square. If the sticky side shows through from the outside. apply another piece of duct tape on the outside, sticky side to sticky side, cutting and trimming it so that it folds neatly round the corner of the softbox. 
+1 or there's stuff called Sugru - https://sugru.com/
Posted 16 March 2015
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
I had the same problem, went to see a friend of mine who manages a non ferrous metal company, got some stainless pipe that fitted the rods cut it to size and araldited it onto the rods, rounded off the ends, done. 

Posted 16 March 2015
Edited by Two_stops 16 March 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
Since they're an American reseller it's worth pointing out you'll pay through the nose for the likes of FedEx / UPS delivery from them, even on the most insignificant of items.  Not to mention potential import duty charges.
Ask them to use USPS. It takes longer, but they seen to come into Europe via Germany. When the item arrives in the UK and they don't seem to charge you the import duty.
Posted 16 March 2015
Edited by HowardJ 16 March 2015
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Often need to buy similar little plastic bits for repairs and prototypes, there are lots of suppliers of little plastic bits, we even have accounts with a couple, but MOQs and MOVs get in the way.

However I've had quite a lot of success with eBay... people buying in qty and then subdividing, found this on a quick search

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-End-Caps-for-Kites-Kite-Cap-Various-Sizes-Styles-Kite-Parts-/301321491991

which in itself gives another avenue to explore... kites and kiting websites..

Good luck, Peter

Posted 17 March 2015
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Rubber end caps ordered ( thanks for the link pvfb ) and pockets sewn and repaired Case closed. Thank you to everyone that replied and tried to help, I appreciate it Chris
Posted 17 March 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join