A question for (glamour) models

A question for (glamour) models

19 posts
23 Feb 2015
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
Bob

The TwitFace sites are geared to helping people who don't have many proper friends out in the real world. A not insignificant proportion of internet models have self-worth issues, as we frequently see in the popcorn-generating Drama Llama forum posts and sometimes even in  profile notes, so to them TwitFace sites are probably the sort of places where they can boost their perceived self-worth by collecting loads of 'friends'.

I would rather have a handful of proper friends than a thousand internet 'friends', which is why I state on my profile notes on another portfolio site; "Your best chance of becoming my 'buddy' is to work with me or get drunk with me - just asking me to be your friend probably won't work".

Bob

I have worked out why they prefer to operate on Facebook as opposed to boosting their portfolio on image hosting website such as Pure Storm. It's because they're stupid antics on here would get them a no-show with no valid reason, and their stupid comments would get them into hot water with genuine professional models and photographers.
Posted 17 March 2015
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz

Another bad thing about Facebook is that it's encouraged copyright theft. The amount of people (not just models) who have fantastic images on their portfolios of themselves with no reference to the individual who actually took the shot, must be in its tens of thousands +. That doesn't mean that they're all stolen, but anyone having a little look at what goes on on Facebook will know that a significant portion are most definitely stolen.
Posted 7 April 2015
Edited by Mr_Catz 7 April 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Ladiesman

Another bad thing about Facebook is that it's encouraged copyright theft. The amount of people (not just models) who have fantastic images on their portfolios of themselves with no reference to the individual who actually took the shot, must be in its tens of thousands +. That doesn't mean that they're all stolen, but anyone having a little look at what goes on on Facebook will know that a significant portion are most definitely stolen.

'Encouraged' isn't a fair description, lack of policing is probably more apt.  But in their terms & conditions it's made clear that you can only upload images for which you hold copyright, strictly speaking it's not their fault people have disregard for it.

Furthermore, FB was never really geared up/intended to be a site for models/photographers, although most responsible models & photographers will add details in the comments to the photo (if & where necessary), but again the onus is on the user not the site.
Posted 8 April 2015
You're being a bit harsh - I have something like 4000 friends and generally ignore the 'hi' messages. It doesn't mean I don't have any friends IRL - I just have another fb account with a regular amount. I used to accept everyone, now I accept those with mutual friends or those I think are in the industry, in an attempt to network. This rules out mostly people with Arabic/Indian/Turkish looking names, I then feel a bit racist, and then go back and add the rest of them. I then only delete people who offend me / post too many annoying links / invite me to play a game with them. I am a 'suggested friend' to a great many people, including those with no friends when they join facebook, so I end up with 50 requests a day.

Posted 9 April 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join