Contemplating going into artistic nude- any advice? Thoughts? Opinions...

Contemplating going into artistic nude- any advice? Thoughts? Opinions?

36 posts
17 Dec 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
marlhamphoto

I saw there was a late cancellation rather than a no-show.

For me a no-show is unforgiveable unless there are extraordinary circumstances (very rare). There's virtually no excuse for not messaging or picking up the phone and instead leaving the photographer 'hanging'. That's only happened to me twice but it's not pleasant.

But a late cancellation is another thing altogether ..............

Of course I'm guessing as to the reason - but for me, on its own, it wouldn't have a negative influence on me working with her. But opinions may differ obviously!

+1
Posted 17 Dec 2014
vinman30
Photographer
vinman30
BlueSapphire
I see youve had a lot of replies from photographers so just thought Id churp up as a model! Definitely consider your future - will you still be modelling in 2, 3 , 4 years time - employers already do internet search checks - if you are applying for a job will it be frowned upon Ive never worried too much about friends and family - hopefully you are in the same situation where your family will love you no matter what as long as you are happy and safe At 18/19 when I started I thought I was mature and making sencible decisions - I was not - there is no rush - nudity will always be there - maybe take another year or two to think about it - I would suggest that if you are asking for others advice you may not be ready because when you know you know - not to come across condesending but i thought i knew best and i didnt lol - i love my job now and i in no way regret getting naked but i do wish id put a bit more thought into it so make sure its what you want before you jump in
+1 Great advice from one of the best in the business.... Chucking in my tuppence worth....I have shot a cpl of times with models who are doing Art Nude for the 1st time....and I would say, that if and when you do decide to work to that level, choose a photographer who you have worked with before and whom you trust and come to some sort of deal that if you don't like the images etc they will delete them for you....and maybe shoot with them again TF to your current levels....and also ensure you model under a name which cannot be tied to you, that way if you do work to art nude then at least a search of your name for future jobs etc, should minimalise any images coming up... Cheers
Posted 18 Dec 2014
HarryC
Photographer
HarryC
My answer is quite simple - If you have to ask then the answer is no!

Some great advise and information above and you need to think about your future family and future partners family!

Enjoy what you are doing, try lingerie and maybe implied and see how you feel in a couple of years. You are after all still very young!

Best of luck for the future!

Posted 19 Dec 2014
vinman30

+1 Great advice from one of the best in the business.... Chucking in my tuppence worth....I have shot a cpl of times with models who are doing Art Nude for the 1st time....and I would say, that if and when you do decide to work to that level, choose a photographer who you have worked with before and whom you trust and come to some sort of deal that if you don't like the images etc they will delete them for you....and maybe shoot with them again TF to your current levels....and also ensure you model under a name which cannot be tied to you, that way if you do work to art nude then at least a search of your name for future jobs etc, should minimalise any images coming up... Cheers

Sorry just a quick one - DEFINITELY DO use a different name - HOWEVER dont be naive - you can still very easily be found - you can image search easily - and for example its not hard to find my purestorm where photographers have left references using my real name - fans see this and then use my real name - please dont assume using a different name will give you anonymity cheeky
Posted 19 Dec 2014
you are lucky to have a great pre-raphaelite look for art nudes. Regarding your future employment, you might lose jobs because you posed nude, you might get some jobs in spite of it, you might even get some jobs because of it, but the jobs marketplace is often unpredictable so do what makes you feel fulfilled because i think this helps you stay self-confident whatever you decide to do

Posted 19 Dec 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Just a tiny bit of advice.... when ready, why not do a 'private test shoot' first. Find someone you completely trust. Do a shoot, get a some nice images, BUT INSIST nothing goes public until you've had a good chance to consider the results. Show them to close friends or family, and then decide for yourself if you are happy with them, and happy being seen nude. If not, ask the photographer to delete them all. Obviously some professionals would be horrified at the idea of doing such a shoot, so fish around until you find a kind soul who's prepared to help... Someone who knows what they are doing, not just the first GWC who comes a knocking. Dave
Posted 20 Dec 2014
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
To reiterate what has already been said once you have done nude images the images are 'out there' and with search engines and the longevity of stuff on the web there is no turning back.

Only you will know if you are ready. It is a little difficult to tell from your current portfolio just how you might do but my initial instinct is well.

As has also been said when doing anything nude or possibly even just sexy lingerie it is generally wise never to use your real name due to searches etc and who may wish to use this against you in the future - you may believe there is no reason now but a job interview in the future or even just a jealous co-worker etc - That said even an alias doesn't always protect you.

There are several resources out there which offer general advise - whilst main aimed at the adult market Iain Thomson has a worthwhile read on his site (or at least when I last looked a while ago) also possibly worth doing a google search for a blog by modelbitch (but as always - like comments on this post - these are just a few views from the contributors viewpoints)

Whatever you do, do not do it for anybody else other than yourself and make sure you are 100% certain you want to.

Also as stated there are many different capabilities of photographers shooting out there & a few different styles of nude shooting

As at least one person has said, probably best to do with someone you know and trust for your first shoot

It is not something to go into lightly but there are many successful art nude models out there - but there are also a few potential pitfalls

I can't promise you will get any reply but I know that the modelling community is generally very supportive of others so it may be worth directly approaching 1 or 2 of the main art nude models for their advice as they don't often read the forums and post even less.

All the best whatever your decision

Posted 20 Dec 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
On second thoughts, if you are worried, just don't do it. Simple. frown
Posted 20 Dec 2014
voguejoe
Photographer
voguejoe
Try art implied NUDE its safer and none damaging if the shoots are taken correctly
Giuseppe x

Posted 20 Dec 2014
My first "nude" experience was supposed to be "implied" - it was at the time the images were taken, unfortunately back then I had no idea that lights and editing could make material completely see through and happily posed, it wasn't until a later date that I realised the scumbag has naked images of me all over his website.

I say wait - wait a few years, if you are still enjoying modelling when you are 21/22 then give nude a try. Don\t rush into something you may regret! be very careful who you work with and don't ever let people push you into shooting nudes if you aren't ready.

Posted 21 Dec 2014
I agree , don't do nude if you are not comfortable. I would say that art or maybe naturist nude modeling would suit you. These days most people are open minded & nude pics are not viewed as shameful . As for being spotted, there are truly millions of naked girl pics on the internet. I have only been recognised once in 5 years, by an off duty policeman !!

Posted 21 Dec 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
seeryder

These days most people are open minded & nude pics are not viewed as shameful . As for being spotted, there are truly millions of naked girl pics on the internet. I have only been recognised once in 5 years, by an off duty policeman !!

I'm sure those models who have lost their jobs and careers in recent months and years because of their modelling will not agree with this. And being spotted isn't necessarily the problem - in most cases it's a trusted friend or colleague who takes it upon themselves to inform employers.
Posted 21 Dec 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 21 Dec 2014
PaulCrick
Photographer
PaulCrick
If you wish to try it out, to see if you enjoy it it or not and what you look like, then I would suggest that you pay a professional photographer to do a fine art shoot which is exclusively for you, that way you know that your images are only for you to see, unless you want to show them to other people, the photographer should not show clients images to anyone else unless they are given permission to do so by the client who is paying them.
Posted 21 Dec 2014
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
PaulCrick

If you wish to try it out, to see if you enjoy it it or not and what you look like, then I would suggest that you pay a professional photographer to do a fine art shoot which is exclusively for you, that way you know that your images are only for you to see, unless you want to show them to other people, the photographer should not show clients images to anyone else unless they are given permission to do so by the client who is paying them.

Unless there is a formal contract, whilst it is unlikely, there is no more guarantee by using a professional
Posted 21 Dec 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
nige_nw

Unless there is a formal contract, whilst it is unlikely, there is no more guarantee by using a professional

Such contracts are commonplace amongst professional photographers, particularly those shooting weddings, boudoir and other private social occasions. When photography is commissioned 'for private and domestic purposes' then the person(s) commissioning the photography are afforded the statutory right of privacy to the images - see s85 CDPA1988 - even though the photographer still owns copyright.
Posted 21 Dec 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 21 Dec 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join