Advice needed regarding a shoot. Should I stay or should I go?!!

Advice needed regarding a shoot. Should I stay or should I go?!!

23 posts
13 Nov 2014
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
It's the lack of a phone number which should ring alarm bells as much as anything else Jes. If a model I'm arranging a shoot with ignores my request for a contact number it definitely rings alarm bells with me. Without one I either cancel, or if it's local and I've nothing much to lose but a bit of wasted time I might go ahead cynically thinking I'm going to get a no show, and most of the time that turns out to be the case in such circumstances, because someone who's serious generally wants to ensure both parties can contact each other in case of transport problems, locating venue, etc. If you know who the photographer actually is, it should be easy enough to find a telephone number for him. Bet you could find mine easily enough if you looked for it. If you can't find one, definitely be wary!

Posted 13 Nov 2014
MikeBee
Photographer
MikeBee
Jes,

You really know the answer to this one more than anybody else and that's to walk away.
No need to go into detail with a reply and say the shoots not for you..

But then I trust everybody..well most of the time but something is not right here and many so far do agree.

Be wise and always be careful.

Posted 13 Nov 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Have you Googled his name to see if he is on FB etc.....if so, message him there as well saying you need a phone number asap so you can confirm the arrangements verbally or by text. Send him that message anyway.
Posted 13 Nov 2014
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
Jes- I am waiting with baited breath to know what happened!!!

Did the shoot go ahead? Did he make contact?

How did this story end?

Posted 14 Nov 2014
If a one-to-one shoot is proving elusive there maybe another way you could meet this photographer if he/she were to attend a Studio Day, Group Shoot, Charity Shoot, Workshop, Seminar or Training Day.

Commercial photographers have fab websites with their contact details, images, tearsheets and client lists...without it they wouldnt get any work! Otherwise their idea of what a "commecial" shoot is could be very different from yours

Posted 14 Nov 2014
kimsandman2
Photographer
kimsandman2
If you don't feel safe don't go there are thousands of photographers out here that still want to do a shoot with you, just say no!
Kim

Posted 18 Nov 2014
xxlysonsxx
Photographer
xxlysonsxx
Sounds suspicious to me forget it and move on

Posted 3 Dec 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
jes

I was contacted via email by a photographer for a commercial shoot a couple of months ago but it got cancelled as he said the client didn't agree to one of the terms in his contract.

This is not uncommon Jes, as some clients seem to think that in the current economic climate commercial photographers will be so desperate for the work that they will accept wholly unreasonable terms in place of their own T&C. At the beginning of the year I refused to submit work to one publishing house on their unrealistic terms and I am now even more glad that I did because the publication has now gone, though the publisher has not, yet the unreasonable terms they were trying to impose would have seen my images retained by the parent company and probably sold on or syndicated with no chance of any payment coming back in my direction.

jes

Soon after, I received an email that was like and automated response but it didn't actually say it was.  The content was something to do with the email not being accessed as much as normal due to a family illness.  I sent another email but haven't got a response.  So am I right in thinking that an automated response would send a reply every time?

Not necessarily. I sent a batch of three email invoices to my contact in an accounts department on Sunday (last day of the month) without realising they were on holiday until today. I received an automated response to the first mail but not the second or third. I don't think I have ever received repeat noificastions.

Bob

Posted 3 Dec 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join