Are there really no models in Milton Keynes who want free photos?

Are there really no models in Milton Keynes who want free photos?

44 posts
24 Sep 2014
snapychapy
Photographer
snapychapy

.... maybe you could enlighten me then Howard?

Posted 30 Oct 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
snapychapy

.... maybe you could enlighten me then Howard?

BlueSapphire asked you to clarify first, and everyone seems to be on the same wavelength (except you) so surely you should be the one enlightening us?
Posted 30 Oct 2014
snapychapy
Photographer
snapychapy
It's obviously far too difficult a concept
Posted 30 Oct 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Clearly
Posted 30 Oct 2014
Photobomber
Photographer
Photobomber
?????? quite funny this

Posted 30 Oct 2014
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
But it's WONDERFUL when I meet the rare model who's as enthusiastic as I am to create works of art that we both love, and we collaborate towards our goal together to achieve it in a joint effort for the passion of creating something worthwhile, without any financial connotation to it! And it DOES happen occasionally.

Posted 30 Oct 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Indeed it would be wonderful and an honour to work with such a model, and yes it does happen - and when it does terrific - but to expect it - well that's missing something obvious.
Posted 30 Oct 2014
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
so is that a NO then ?
Posted 30 Oct 2014
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
Out of curiosity to one of the answers on this thread, when was the last time anyone heard of a model helping a photographer to pacify their bank?

Posted 30 Oct 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Two_stops
Out of curiosity to one of the answers on this thread, when was the last time anyone heard of a model helping a photographer to pacify their bank?
By working for free, so that the photographer can make money out of their copyright of the images ? Or getting paid and the photographer selling the images to a client at a profit ? I think the second one happens every day, the first happens too often. Some people just live in a fantasy world. If you want a free model shoot your friends and family, or go down the pub and find someone who will pose for you, it's not difficult.
Posted 31 Oct 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

By working for free, so that the photographer can make money out of their copyright of the images ? Or getting paid and the photographer selling the images to a client at a profit ? I think the second one happens every day, the first happens too often

+1

Photographers who con models into doing 'free' shoots and then subsequently use the images to make profit irk me.  It's unfair on the models and IMO a dishonest work ethic, I genuinely believe that if one party gets paid out of the deal then it's only fair to let the money flow downwards.
Posted 31 Oct 2014
snapychapy
Photographer
snapychapy
I totally agree

Posted 31 Oct 2014
Ok so please don't take this to personally this is aimed at all the ones who complain models won't work for free .... The point is that your portfolio is nice but average, there is nothing going bang wow you also have a lot of competition as if the models have the right look they can work with whoever they want for tf and there's some pretty heart stoppingly good photographers out there! This goes to models who complain about not getting work they also have some serious competition. Even with that in mind a few of the bigger ones can pay models to so images and food for the fridge who wouldn't say no?! Right There's also the waiting for images game which can seriously take the Micky! And like Chrissie say small websize images which sucks if you want to print them for whatever reason and then you have to ask for bigger files and a lot of photographers get funny about handing them out. Then there's travel costs so you end up paying out a hell of a lot for a "free" shoot, which again a lot of said photographers are funny about helping out with. I also here a lot of photographers say but we pay so much for gear so on, models gear is expensive too clothes makeup and hair products are insane and constantly need updating, it's an expensive investment for both parties and when you have reached your goal you can both make some money from it which helps fund creating awesome pictures! I suggest pay a few pros come up with some super cool different ideas and revamp your port you will get more interest and maybe even paid stuff! I'd love to be able to shoot with everyone for free cose I love what I do but I can't survive on no income so do insanely limited shoots if I'm in the area of a photographer I want to shoot with and then I have to be super selective who I shoot with as I need to know il get amazing pictures back.
Posted 31 Oct 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
^ a nice little injection of reality there.

If you're not exceptional, don't expect anyone to treat you as such. Very average and poor photographers and models are commonplace, and their expectations often unrealistic. In terms of making money, it's difficult or impossible for the vast majority and in terms of collaboration, these are tricky to put together for some really obvious reasons.

I think you have to approach this arena as an enthusiast in either role and be grateful if you find a collaborator with similar ambitions and availability. Other than that, expect to pay for your hobby. Works both ways.

Posted 31 Oct 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
profilepictures

^ a nice little injection of reality there.

I disagree - I think she's missed the point too. But at least she didn't resort to snide comments and gave a reasoned response.

Whilst the OP's port might not place in him in the category of 'heartstoppingly good' I'd say there's a huge mountain of both novice and experienced models here whose ports would benefit from a shot or two by him.

Nevertheless the OP's post was poorly judged - both in its wording and aspiration -  as it was bound to attract the bigoted response it got.
Posted 31 Oct 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join