advice for new model

40 posts
29 Aug 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]profilepictures[/author] Sorry at the lame/mock polite comments you'd got on your pictures already, some are more easily impressed than others. I'd suggest you hold out for really good offers, not just the first who suggest a TF shoot, and check references direct with models who've left them until you learn the ropes [/qt] Yes - always worth checking out the portfolio of those who leave comments. if they are full of tacky photographs ...... Same applies to those who offer shoots too!
Posted 31 Aug 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
If you are to build a better portfolio. You'll need to pay photographers as according to your notes. You only work for pay so unless you find a photographer willing to pay you and supply you with images. You will not be able to build a port. Perhaps you should change that and do some TFP shots.

You look great just need to look in control of your look. A model that charges for her time is a professional and should be in charge of her look and not be dependant on the photographer to help her look confident in front of the camera.

I know your present images are your first and as they are I would not be willing to part with cash to hire you. Stick with it but learn your trade. From one shoot to paid work well in my opinion I can't see many offers coming your way.

It's tough out there for experienced models and you should be aware of that. Also remember if you put up a casting for paid work on the site you'll need to have a paid membership.

Posted 31 Aug 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
frankpht
If you are to build a better portfolio. You'll need to pay photographers as according to your notes. You only work for pay so unless you find a photographer willing to pay you and supply you with images. You will not be able to build a port. Perhaps you should change that and do some TFP shots.
Rather a juvenile comment, which I wouldn't have bothered commenting on, but as a new model the OP might think your comment serious. Obviously it is not necessary to mark TFP on her profile to do TFP sessions. If that were the case most of the TFP sessions that do take place never would happen. If she wants to post a TFP casting as a free member that is perfectly possible and if she wants to approach photographers who have indicated that they do TFP on their profile that is much the better way of getting suitable photos, whilst keeping the number of worthless offers to a managable level.
Posted 31 Aug 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 31 Aug 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
stolenfaces

Rather a juvenile comment, which I wouldn't have bothered commenting on, but as a new model the OP might think your comment serious. Obviously it is not necessary to mark TFP on her profile to do TFP sessions. If that were the case most of the TFP sessions that do take place never would happen. If she wants to post a TFP casting as a free member that is perfectly possible and if she wants to approach photographers who have indicated that they do TFP on their profile that is much the better way of getting suitable photos, whilst keeping the number of worthless offers to a managable level.

If I see only paid shoots on a models profile I take that literally.    What other way is there to take the statement.    If the OP had depends on assignment and paid shhots then we have something different.   If we follow your line of argument.    We could then ask her does she do adult shoots.   She hasn't got that on her profile so we can assume then she does not do adult shoots and she should not be then pestered to do anything she does not have on her profile.

On all forums we have models complaining about photographers asking for shoots that are clearly not on their profiles.    Their usual comment is why can't photographers read my profile notes.   I entirely agree with that statement.    So when it clearly says a model only does paid shoots.   Then I take her at her word and not bother her with offers of TFP shoots.

If she wants to approach photographers for TFP shoots that is her right.   Yet as of now the OP's profile indicates Paid shoots only.   My only option is to pass on by.   I never ask models to shoot beyond their levels as indicated on their profiles.  So I follow that through when the profile indicates only paid shoots.  
Posted 1 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Frankie boy you're just making yourself look like an ass. There's clearly a world of difference between reality and that which you'd like it to be in your idealistic personal globe.

The reality is that models get images from paid shoots - not always but very often. Whilst they might only get two or three they're invariably the best from the shoot, as chosen by the photographer, and are very often edited to a good standard. Nine times out of ten they'll exceed the quality of anything she's likely to receive from a TF shoot.

The only people who ever complain about new models offering 'paid only' are the die-hard TF photographers with uninspiring portfolios who believe that models need to go through some kind of weird initiation involving lots of crap TF and dubious activities such as naked cartwheels in the photographer's front room!

Those models who do choose to TF (whether novice or experienced) do so because of far more complex reasons than you seem to have grasped.
Posted 1 Sep 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
frankpht

If I see only paid shoots on a models profile I take that literally.    What other way is there to take the statement.    If the OP had depends on assignment and paid shhots then we have something different.   If we follow your line of argument.    We could then ask her does she do adult shoots.   She hasn't got that on her profile so we can assume then she does not do adult shoots and she should not be then pestered to do anything she does not have on her profile.

On all forums we have models complaining about photographers asking for shoots that are clearly not on their profiles.    Their usual comment is why can't photographers read my profile notes.   I entirely agree with that statement.    So when it clearly says a model only does paid shoots.   Then I take her at her word and not bother her with offers of TFP shoots.

If she wants to approach photographers for TFP shoots that is her right.   Yet as of now the OP's profile indicates Paid shoots only.   My only option is to pass on by.   I never ask models to shoot beyond their levels as indicated on their profiles.  So I follow that through when the profile indicates only paid shoots.  

Then pass on and stop whining because you are not being provided with the opportunity to offer her your wonderful work. Frankly putting that you accept TFP on a model  portfolio is nieve, unless of course you are doing it primarily for fun. Once the word gets round a model is a soft touch for doing unpaid shoots it is very hard for them to get into paid work. Somehow they alwasy need a few more TFP shoots to fill some void in their portfolio.

As was pointed out saying paid does not preclude collaborating. It simply puts the model in better control of who she collaborates with. She can always approach photographers producing the quality of work needed to improve her portfolio. Something even the full time models do on ocassion. Alternatively she can post a casting call setting out exactly what she is looking for. Far better than having to deal with the arrogant frightful strops a lot of photographers throw when a model who has that option on her portfolio declines their offer.

Posted 1 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Having said that - describing yourself as an amateur who only accepts paid work is a trifle illogical!
Posted 1 Sep 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
mph
Having said that - describing yourself as an amateur who only accepts paid work is a trifle illogical!
They should definitely add 'intern' to the drop down
Posted 1 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
What? You do TF first and then "intern" do Paid?
Posted 1 Sep 2014
Edited by mph 1 Sep 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
I couldn't care less if a model asks for paid work or not. When a model feels she /he is competent enough to ask for paid work that is their choice and whether they are competent or not only their port will show. Clearly in the OPs case her port does not show a model in a position to only do paid work. That is my opinion doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong. What matters is the OP get good advice.

All she has been told so far is approach quality photographers and hopefully get some TFP shoots. All well and good but quality photographers want quality models. So problem 1 now to eliminate that the OP could simply change her Paid only to TFP and Paid. That way any prospective photographer will more than likely contact her and offer her a much needed port update.

My advice is offered as help to the OP and not a criticism. Making life easier for oneself is achieved when the profile notes clearly state what is required and what is not.

Unless I've been misreading the threads on this forum about beginner models asking for paid work and how frowned upon this is. I don't think my advice is misguided and if any of you think I'm wrong which one of you are going to be the first to offer the OP paid work.

Posted 1 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Frank! What on earth makes you think 'quality photographers' have the time or inclination to trawl new [or any] model profiles looking for those who've indicated that they're open to TF!!

Posted 1 Sep 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 1 Sep 2014
You should be looking at TF work not paid work. Try and arrange some shoots with local photographers to get yourself a portfolio or pay YES pay a professional photographer. Also like Iain said some more flattering full body shots.
Posted 1 Sep 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
marlhamphoto

Frank! What on earth makes you think 'quality photographers' have the time or inclination to trawl new [or any] model profiles looking for those who've indicated that they're open to TF!!

You don't get any of this thread at all do you.
Posted 2 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
frankpht

You don't get any of this thread at all do you.

If you check the OP's profile you will see that despite your protestations it still says 'Paid work only'. It's evident, Frank, that even a brand new, totally inexperienced and novice model has more model site sense than you despite your long presence here! blush
Posted 2 Sep 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 2 Sep 2014
Thank you for all your input. Id just like to point out that I have already got paid work and I hsve also done tfp and I have more lined up.. Lovely chatting to you all but I need my beauty sleep if im going to make a go at this modelling career that km so bad at.. I wont change my profile as photographer's who want to photograph me take the time to message me and ask would I do tfp. So thanks for all the negativity. But more importantly THANKS TO EVERYONE who actually gave me advice I can use. Mucb appreciated and it has all been taken on board and hopefully will help me on my journey
Posted 2 Sep 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join