new to modelling

18 posts
9 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
mph

Which is doubly unfortunate if the poor girl does so because of bad advice here!  laugh

Indeed.

I would add though that there are plenty of photographers around who are happy to pay a model [much] more than I am. And there are plenty of experienced models around who can recognise who those photographers are simply by looking at what's in their portfolio. So experienced models will quote varying rates according to what they see or know about the photographer.

Paul's proposal is probaby the best all-round solution for a new model - see what rate the photographer proposes and then consider whether it's worth your while.
Posted 9 July 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 9 July 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
marlhamphoto
Indeed. I would add though that there are plenty of photographers around who are happy to pay a model [much] more than I am. And there are plenty of experienced models around who can recognise who those photographers are simply by looking at what's in their portfolio. So experienced models will quote varying rates according to what they see or know about the photographer. Paul's proposal is probaby the best all-round solution for a new model - see what rate the photographer proposes and then consider whether it's worth your while.
Or say 'I would really need £x to be worth my while to travel to you (or where ever), but I am flexible how long we shoot for.'
Posted 9 July 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
marlhamphoto

As soon as a model asks for a rate which significantly exceeds the market she gets labelled as expensive/deluded and is thereafter automatically overlooked when it comes to finding a model. Again it's a reputation which is hard to shake off once acquired.

I definitely agree with this, and I often think it's just that they have been badly advised.

I'm sure we've all had similar emails in the past from new models offering topless shoots for the bargain price of £100 per hour.

marlhamphoto

Paul's proposal is probaby the best all-round solution for a new model - see what rate the photographer proposes and then consider whether it's worth your while.

Thank-you.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 9 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join