why i tend to post to the other place and what can i do to change that...

why i tend to post to the other place and what can i do to change that?

92 posts
6 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Well I doubt David will respond - which is fair enough as those comments speak for themselves really.

But my point is that some of us would rather not have to put up with all the guff in its various forms. And PS currently offers a sensible, mature and very credible alternative - in fact it's much better than PP in my particular area. So why spoil it?
Posted 6 July 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 6 July 2014
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
Well yet again a normal forum post has got someones "back-up".....David HASNT requested his images to be judged or commented on but the differences between PS and PP,yet marlhamphoto has decided to copy davids work on PP just to put his point across...and very tasteless i thought....

Posted 6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
marlhamphoto
Well I doubt David will respond - which is fair enough as those comments speak for themselves really. But my point is that some of us would rather not have to put up with all the guff in its various forms. And PS currently offers a sensible, mature and very credible alternative - in fact it's much better than PP in my particular area. So why spoil it?
why wouldn't i respond? i'm quite intelligent and can obviously see that comments like 'wonderful' and 'wow' are not beneficial on a critique level, but it's part of a bigger picture! He/she who bothered to say wow today have made a connection and may come back tomorrow and offer something far more insightful on another photo. the 'wants to work with you feature' is in my opinion a valid and useful tool. I have made several good connections from it. Some new models are not as confident as experienced models and would shy away from messaging a more experienced photographer, this can be a way for them to let togs know they'd like to work with them without risk of direct rejection in a message, which can further knock their confidence. You seem intent on dismissing all of my points, so i don't expect you'll agree with any of the above. Maybe i should just keep paying, posting, keeping my head down and be thankful i get no guff.
Posted 6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
xtiggerx
Well yet again a normal forum post has got someones "back-up".....David HASNT requested his images to be judged or commented on but the differences between PS and PP,yet marlhamphoto has decided to copy davids work on PP just to put his point across...and very tasteless i thought....
+1
Posted 6 July 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
That, I find, is exactly the point being demonstrated, it is entirely about the veracity and value of the PP comments.

Posted 6 July 2014
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
David,

The only thing you can be positive of,

is the negativity!!

Posted 6 July 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
xtiggerx
Really - why not get your facts right ! He shared some of the comments so that we could all be informed rather than usual way that people revel in their ignorance. I see no judgement of his photos merely an example of the sort of drivel you encounter on PP This seems to me to add considerably to the discussion. If you want the opinions of people who know nothing, post on Facebook. If you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is 'negative' stick to PP
Posted 6 July 2014
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Preaching to the converted...
The forums here are dead. If we get one new thread a day we consider ourselves lucky. If someone else actually posts in that thread? Nirvana!
Image critique is non existent because you never see any images unless you go looking for them. Not even Recently Uploaded, Most Loved, Most Veiwed etc. Under the Images tab it's just your own images or upload a new one... useless as tits on a fish.
The Featured Artists section on the home page is a joke.
The last thread offering suggestions as to how things might be improved was deleted (or hidden from public view if Admin is to be believed).

I posted a couple of images lat week in the other place too. As was the case with the OP, my stats went through the roof, three models contacted me for shoots via PM and a half dozen more added me to their WTWW lists...
As far as networking goes the other place kicks PSs arse.
If it's entertainment and talking ******** in the forums, ditto.

Posted 6 July 2014
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
arkady001
Preaching to the converted... The forums here are dead. If we get one new thread a day we consider ourselves lucky. If someone else actually posts in that thread? Nirvana! Image critique is non existent because you never see any images unless you go looking for them. Not even Recently Uploaded, Most Loved, Most Veiwed etc. Under the Images tab it's just your own images or upload a new one... useless as tits on a fish. The Featured Artists section on the home page is a joke. The last thread offering suggestions as to how things might be improved was deleted (or hidden from public view if Admin is to be believed). I posted a couple of images lat week in the other place too. As was the case with the OP, my stats went through the roof, three models contacted me for shoots via PM and a half dozen more added me to their WTWW lists... As far as networking goes the other place kicks PSs arse. If it's entertainment and talking ******** in the forums, ditto.
I find myself agreeing with you. There are a few Statler and Waldorf type people who just hate all that sort of thing and rarely have anything positive to say, its amazing how much they seem to know about the other place though if you find something disagreeable at the other place you can just turn it off, hide groups that irritate and even hide individual threads, can't ask for more than that really.
Posted 6 July 2014
EdT
Photographer
EdT
arkady001
The forums here are dead. If we get one new thread a day we consider ourselves lucky. If someone else actually posts in that thread? Nirvana!
This. The only threads with any activity you see on here are those the few who won't accept any criticism of PS desperately trying to put PP down. Oh, and there was that really exciting one about PAT testing that managed to keep going for just short of a month.
Posted 6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
seems like a pretty grim picture is being painted here, apart from some loyal people - which is fair enough, PP isn't for everyone. But it looks like PP is the way forward and PS is destined to get left behind. It's a pity though, would only need a few changes and a bit of innovation to take PS forward.

thanks for everyone who took the time to reply.

Posted 6 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Well, that's it then.

PP in your opinion is the winner.

Thank goodness this thread has ended.

A loyal Purestorm member.

Posted 6 July 2014
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
Not quite the end As a newbie to both sites I have quite an open mind. Looking to expand my ports I have carried out model searches on both sites. What did strike me on this one was the high number of models who have not logged on for months or even years. As`a test I sent a couple messages just to see if they are receiving emails. No response. Do "retired" models stay featured forever?
Posted 6 July 2014
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
EdT
This. The only threads with any activity you see on here are those the few who won't accept any criticism of PS desperately trying to put PP down. Oh, and there was that really exciting one about PAT testing that managed to keep going for just short of a month.
Indeed, I really don't understand the concept of blind loyalty to a web site. This place reminds me of a pub that has become a little run down, the décor faded. The crowd has moved to the shiny new place down the road, leaving behind a few die-hard locals leaning against the bar. That reminds me, I wonder if there is still the valiant few still believing things will work out on N-M ?
Posted 6 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
gaffer

Not quite the end As a newbie to both sites I have quite an open mind. Looking to expand my ports I have carried out model searches on both sites. What did strike me on this one was the high number of models who have not logged on for months or even years. As`a test I sent a couple messages just to see if they are receiving emails. No response. Do "retired" models stay featured forever?

Basically you need to accept that a portfolio hosting service doesn't necessitate a member having to log in on a regular basis. Many models, being of a younger generation in the main, prefer to communicate via FB and other social media using the immediacy of their smartphones. Many just link to their modelling profile/portfolio from their FB page and leave it at that - the act of logging into a modelling site just to pick up messages is a bit of a fag.

The other site you're referring to sends its members emails requiring them to log in if they haven't done so for a certain period - it used to be six months I believe. Otherwise they're told that their profile will be suspended. So the other site forces people to log in regularly. So far as I know this site doesn't put its hosting members to that inconvenience.
Posted 6 July 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 6 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join