Are casting calls monitored or checked before posting?

Are casting calls monitored or checked before posting?

40 posts
30 April 2014
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
If this is about the use of the word "Black" in a casting call; my stepdaughter (who I adore) is African. I've just phoned her to ask her to describe her skin colour, she said black. I then asked her what was the colour of her cousins' skins, she said black. I then asked her what was the colour of Barack Obama's skin, she said, "Who's he?" Kids huh? Like the term or not, black/white is in full use out there, and is neither racist nor derogatory, it's just a convenient description - and socially acceptable to the hugest majority of all skin colours. I also asked my stepdaughter what my skin colour was, after a few seconds' thought she said that at first she couldn't remember - then she said pasty white! If I've got the wrong casting call I'll shut up
Posted 30 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Jackass

If this is about the use of the word "Black" in a casting call

I didn't know what casting the OP was on about but if that is it I'll admit I wouldn't have noticed.  And if I was casting for someowe who was black I'd probably use the same word, as long as it's not being used in a derogatory sense I'll admit I can't see a problem (and I'm 38 so don't know if the generational thing comes into it)
Posted 30 April 2014
Edited by RedChecker 30 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
The original casting disappeared I think, so the current casting which uses the word 'black' is probably not the original wording that was being discussed.

Posted 30 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Ah, it was probably 'coloured' then. My dad still uses that, it's awkward at times.

Posted 30 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Whatever the detail of the original post, the concept of helping people to use suitably appealing language in a casting is not really the same as being politically correct. I guess the situation is broadly the same as someone who wants to work with a curvy/bigger model casting for a 'fat model'. If the prospective respondent is offended by the casting they are unlikely to apply. [although I guess there'd still be plenty of 'is it payd' responses from unsuitable candidates....
Posted 30 April 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
As per the rictus in Camden Council some years ago, it is not black skin, it is skin without milk.

There is no one so offended as some one who wants to be offended. A good friend of mine put it very well, when he said, "Do they really think we are stupid enough not to know the difference?" This when there was debate about Camden Council banning the use of the term 'black coffee' and insisting that coffee should be ordered 'without milk', so that no one was offended.

I have not seen the CC in question. I am guessing that a call was put out for a 'black' model. The black people I know would not be offended by this. There are bound to be a few out there who will WANT to be offended and who will seize on the opportunity but that is not the same thing. IF the CC was looking for a 'n*gger' or a 'c*on', then those are terms that are intrinsically offensive, even though once in common usage.
The people we need to fear are those in the white middle classes who, due to a guilty conscience(?)patronise the hell out of any minority and take over what is the minority's right to defend themselves and do the defending for them.

Posted 30 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
JeromeRazoir
As per the rictus in Camden Council some years ago, it is not black skin, it is skin without milk. There is no one so offended as some one who wants to be offended. A good friend of mine put it very well, when he said, "Do they really think we are stupid enough not to know the difference?" This when there was debate about Camden Council banning the use of the term 'black coffee' and insisting that coffee should be ordered 'without milk', so that no one was offended. I have not seen the CC in question. I am guessing that a call was put out for a 'black' model. The black people I know would not be offended by this. There are bound to be a few out there who will WANT to be offended and who will seize on the opportunity but that is not the same thing. IF the CC was looking for a 'n*gger' or a 'c*on', then those are terms that are intrinsically offensive, even though once in common usage. The people we need to fear are those in the white middle classes who, due to a guilty conscience(?)patronise the hell out of any minority and take over what is the minority's right to defend themselves and do the defending for them.
You may not have seen the casting but you could have bothered to read the other posts in the thread....
Posted 30 April 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]RedChecker[/author] Ah, it was probably 'coloured' then. My dad still uses that, it's awkward at times.[/qt] The thing is, when your dad was young "black" was seen as derogatory and "coloured" used as the polite alternative! And then...............
Posted 30 April 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
ATVLONDON

Welcome back Stolen. My avatar isn't  glorifying the swastika in any way.  It's a design to try and explain mine and other peoples vision of the EU.  Do you get it?

I would appreciate it if you could please explain why you use the EU flag and Nazi flag as I don't understand.

Posted 30 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
SandyCamel

I would appreciate it if you could please explain why you use the EU flag and Nazi flag as I don't understand.

If I had to guess it's a reference to the fact that a unified Europe was one of the original goals of the Nazi regime.  So despite WW2 conquoring the Nazis their dream has indeed been realised with the EU (which is seen by many as controlling, invasive and akin to the Reich).
Posted 30 April 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
RedChecker

If I had to guess it's a reference to the fact that a unified Europe was one of the original goals of the Nazi regime.  So despite WW2 conquoring the Nazis their dream has indeed been realised with the EU (which is seen by many as controlling, invasive and akin to the Reich).

Best for me not to comment further then.

Posted 30 April 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
stolenfaces

Those of us who grew up in the sixties still regard the use of the swastika as as a joke avatar as grossly offensive. Love the way you admit that you don't actually know anything about the casting you are commenting on, but want to generally stand up for the rights of people to be casually offensive (and as far as you know the post could have been offensive or even racist, even by your own low standards)

The avatar is one of a complete ignorance of history. He is to be pitied.

Posted 30 April 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
RedChecker

which is seen by many as controlling, invasive and akin to the Reich).

..By un-evolved 'little engerlunders'  oh-yes!

But  I wonder if the 'ghosts' of  Treblinka extermination camp would see such a parallel?
Posted 30 April 2014
Webbo2
Photographer
Webbo2
ForumModerator
No. We do not, and cannot possibly, monitor everything posted on the site. However there is a [report abuse] link on every casting call which members can use. Normally a Report will be actioned (if action is necessary) within a few hours. Note: Moderators should not censor purely on the grounds of perceived Political Incorrectness.   Update: As of 11:15 with the exception of one Clause 16 breach, no casting calls have been reported over the last 12 hours.
I can confirm that moderators are unlikely to censor a casting based on perceived PC. As I once reported a casting containing such a thing and was basically told that they wouldn't do anything about it, and if I really took offense then I should contact the poster directly. Which I did....and he didn't change it. Oh well.
Posted 30 April 2014
Edited by Webbo2 30 April 2014
mph

RedChecker
Ah, it was probably 'coloured' then. My dad still uses that, it's awkward at times.
The thing is, when your dad was young "black" was seen as derogatory and "coloured" used as the polite alternative! And then...............

The problem is when vile people use a correct term to abuse and harm others, those others may unsurprisingly have negative associations with that term, If people could behave decently and not be so ignorant these issues wouldn't arise.

Posted 30 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join