RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
When I see close-up wide angle shots like this, I see this:

Posted 22 April 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Don't see the distortion. If we mean perspective then it does look like a standard lens which would be an 80mm on 120 film.

As I said in my previous post this is what I would suggest he used..the close distance would give this look. I used both Rollei TLR and 'Blad for 20 years and this is what I would expect with the standard?

I suspect the quote "50mm" was erroneous in the way we talk about standard lenses on dslr's?

Not sure why the discussion has focussed on a "technical" point (as so often happens on here)..in my view it is still a superb portrait and I am sure nothing Bailey did was by chance or not intended?

I try in vain to search these model sites for work that rarely even comes close....?

Posted 22 April 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
CCP
Someone pointed out on the news it was with a 50mm lens. 
We'd have to know for sure which format he used to know whether that's wide angle or not; on medium format it would be, on 35mm/full frame it wouldn't.
Posted 22 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
PaulManuell

We'd have to know for sure which format he used to know whether that's wide angle or not; on medium format it would be, on 35mm/full frame it wouldn't.

50mm is IMO pretty wide, even on 35mm format for a headshot.
Posted 22 April 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
RedChecker
50mm is IMO pretty wide, even on 35mm format for a headshot.
Yes, I agree, but it's not classed as wide on 35mm, rather 'standard' because it's a close match to our own eyes' angle of view.
Posted 22 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
So that'd be around 28mm equivalent (35mm) if shot with a 6x6
It obviously isn't taken with a 28mm equivalent. A 50mm equivalent does make sense
Posted 22 April 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I suspect a TLR and a lot of banter......
Posted 22 April 2014
Shawry
Photographer
Shawry
My wife has not got a clue about photography but she pointed the picture out in the paper and said whats wrong with this looks like a cartoon charactor. she'd heard the name David Bailey though!! Fairplay if thats what DB wanted but sometimes the emporers new clothes comes into effect.
OldMaster
Don't see the distortion. If we mean perspective then it does look like a standard lens which would be an 80mm on 120 film. Not sure why the discussion has focussed on a "technical" point (as so often happens on here)..in my view it is still a superb portrait and I am sure nothing Bailey did was by chance or not intended? I try in vain to search these model sites for work that rarely even comes close....?
Posted 22 April 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
PaulManuell

The person who said it was 50mm, also said it was shot on neg.

Posted 22 April 2014
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
From what I've heard it was indeed shot with a 50mm on a Blad on film

Posted 22 April 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Why didn't he do some selective colouring?

You know red lipstick and a bling tiara.

Posted 22 April 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
HowardJ
Why didn't he do some selective colouring? You know red lipstick and a bling tiara.
And title it Never Mind The Bo11ocks, Here's David Bailey.
Posted 22 April 2014
dannyrich
Photographer
dannyrich
Personally I think its a really good image. Looks to be shot wide, head looks massive but I think it works.

Pose reminds me of the train spotting pictures.

Posted 23 April 2014
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
LaurenceJPower

I note a distinct lack of skin smoothing, thank C*****

Agreed.

I like the portrait. It reveals a human, who has been the figurehead of a nation and a commonwealth for six decades filled with huge change, who has had meetings with the most powerful and significant people on the planet, been the bearer (in both name and office) of the continuity, hopes, and sometimes derision of millions of citizens, and witnessed family drama and tragedy.

Camera club types may prefer something fit for a postage stamp; I think Bailey has produced something far better.
Posted 30 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join