Helmut Newton on BBC4 later...

Helmut Newton on BBC4 later...

17 posts
13 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Well they still teach it at college and film and paper production has increased, bit like vinyl records. Although production is of course small it is still increasing year on year. Not sure how many film cameras are made now but of course when the Newton film was shot digital didn't exist or if it did it was rubbish! He died in 2004 so pretty much at the inception of half decent digital...? And Bailey of course will use digital now but of course all his work from the 60's up until very recently I guess will also had to have been on film. In interview he said that he still liked film but it "worked out at £50 a shot" More for 10x8 I imagine. The real point here apart from all the technical stuff is perhaps more relevant. Shooting film, particularly as the format grows from 36 on a roll to 12 frames to 8 to the single shot of 5x4/10x8 certainly focuses the mind. No histograms just an understanding of exposure and film latitude,etc and a completely OCD attitude towards cleanliness and detail particularly if you were processing it yourself. It's why I could charge £50 p/h 30 years ago just for PR B&W work and why we are worth around £10-15p/h now. Its also why models can always charge and we always pay...because as we all know, every one is an artist now and everyone with a camera is a photographer
Posted 17 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Fuji have just released a 'new' MF camera......film that is...... I saw the DB documentary last year...he was shown using three cameras...a 5 X 4, TLR Rollie, and a Mamiya 7....all film of course. I guess if you prefer film and you have his reputation and income...you shoot film!!
Posted 17 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join