Paying Models NOT in cash?

Paying Models NOT in cash?

36 posts
8 March 2014
I don't mind how I get paid as long as its in full.
I remember working with one fairly well respected photographer and he gave me a small fraction of my payment in a cheque and another small fraction in cash. (which made up something like 35% of the total shoot fee we had discussed). I told him there an then that it wasn't anywhere near what we had discussed and he said "I will bank transfer you when I get home".. I think about 4 months later he sent me another small amount of money that way. Perhaps if I chased him for another year he might have done the full whammy and paid me via paypal to - maybe that way I might have actually got paid in full!

Posted 9 March 2014
ShackledMaidens
Photographer
ShackledMaidens
These days i just do cash as its easier, but all the models who I work with knows that its my dog that pays them not me
Posted 9 March 2014
blancho
Photographer
blancho
I think i would be suspicious if someones paying you in three forms for the same shoot

Who is this dog and have you questioned him/her to where they get the cash and if they pay tax? Can I borrow them I could do with an assistant

Posted 9 March 2014
blancho

I think i would be suspicious if someones paying you in three forms for the same shoot Who is this dog and have you questioned him/her to where they get the cash and if they pay tax? Can I borrow them I could do with an assistant

I think he passed me a cheque and said "heres your payment" and then some cash and said "and heres a little extra" (the overall total of the cheque and cash was around £200 short of the fee he had agreed with me and the MUA). In the end though I did manage to pay my makeup artist what I had promised her and I paid my partner for the petrol he used up by getting me to the shoot so at least other than an entire day I didn't waste any money. 

It served as a very strong reminder to always get everything in writing and never discuss the fee's over the phone - doesn't matter if the person said the fee 3 times during the call and you asked them to repeat the fee, they can quite easily tell you on the day that you are wrong and they are right.
Posted 9 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Chrissie_Red

I think he passed me a cheque and said "heres your payment" and then some cash and said "and heres a little extra" (the overall total of the cheque and cash was around £200 short of the fee he had agreed with me and the MUA). In the end though I did manage to pay my makeup artist what I had promised her and I paid my partner for the petrol he used up by getting me to the shoot so at least other than an entire day I didn't waste any money. 

It served as a very strong reminder to always get everything in writing and never discuss the fee's over the phone - doesn't matter if the person said the fee 3 times during the call and you asked them to repeat the fee, they can quite easily tell you on the day that you are wrong and they are right.

I hope you left appropriate feedback.

In a sense it makes it worse when a well-respected photographer does this as they are abusing their position in more ways than one to con models be it paid work or TF?.  It seems to happen a lot and it's disgusting.
Posted 9 March 2014
Edited by RedChecker 9 March 2014
dhuntuk
Photographer
dhuntuk
Ninety-five percent of the time I have always paid with cash.

I have now paid models via bank transfer on over half a dozen occasions. You just get the model's bank details and set them up as a payee. Come shoot day and you can get your Windows phone app & pay them there and then in front of them.

Posted 9 March 2014
Edited by dhuntuk 9 March 2014
I have only ever paid cash.
However I would be happy to pay by cheque or bacs if the model prefers?

Posted 9 March 2014
Yep, happy to be paid by cash, bank transfer, cheque, whatever. BACS feels lovely and modern and it means I don't have to make a trip to the bank, but being paid to do something you love is nice, so I'm not fussy about how it's done
Posted 10 March 2014
chrismid
Photographer
chrismid
If you pay someone cash and they are not registered as self employed you could in fact be prosecuted.

Your paying someone for a service which would be part of their income.

Posted 10 March 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
chrismid
If you pay someone cash and they are not registered as self employed you could in fact be prosecuted. Your paying someone for a service which would be part of their income.
How would you know? Paying someone in cash who is registered as self-employed is alright then, even if you know they won't declare it? It's a ridiculous statement. Why would a model who is or isn't registered as self-employed be prepared to accept a cheque from you when most shops won't.
Posted 10 March 2014
blancho
Photographer
blancho
a model might accept a cheque as they know who you are where you live, your reputation and references, however its never a 100% guarentee which is why i think bacs or paypal is fairest,

love the way this has turned in to a tax debate,

Posted 10 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

How would you know? Paying someone in cash who is registered as self-employed is alright then, even if you know they won't declare it? It's a ridiculous statement. Why would a model who is or isn't registered as self-employed be prepared to accept a cheque from you when most shops won't.

There may be some truth to what he's saying.

Years ago I had to register as a Ltd company to do freelance CAD work as my employer was previously stung for a tax bill for the two or three freelance people he had working for him previously (who disappeared off the face of the Earth) when he was audited.  Apparently working as a LTD company passed any blame onto my company and off of his (I'm no expert though).
Posted 10 March 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
There may be some truth to what he's saying. Years ago I had to register as a Ltd company to do freelance CAD work as my employer was previously stung for a tax bill for the two or three freelance people he had working for him previously (who disappeared off the face of the Earth) when he was audited.  Apparently working as a LTD company passed any blame onto my company and off of his (I'm no expert though).
If you are a company 'employing' someone that may be true, but in the context of the typical user of this site it is not true. I think any legal obligations he may be referring to were introduced to counter 'the lump' where building contactors employed tradesmen and treated them as self-employed to avoid paying PAYE.
Posted 10 March 2014
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
I've mentioned numerous times a collegue who got stung for £15,000 for paying in cash and not establishing a paper trail. The taxmans arguement was that he could have claimed to have paid a model £250, but paid her only a part or none of it, pocketing the rest, efectively paying himself tax-free.

In the end his options were settle for £15,000 or go to trial. Thats why I pay by cheque and make sure there's a record of the payment.
Posted 10 March 2014
ShackledMaidens
Photographer
ShackledMaidens
Quote from a model who I just picked up from the station a few years ago "Is it ok if you pay me in cash as im claiming benefits"

And if you think your safe, one of the togs that used to rent my studio is a top guy at HMRC

He last logged in here less than a week ago, go offer him a "special rate" for cash

Posted 10 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join