iMac freezes

18 posts
24 Feb 2014
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
Contrary to popular belief, Macs are one of the easiest computers to upgrade. Just follow the steps below.
1) Unplug old Mac.
2) Place old Mac in dustbin.
3) Unpack new Mac.
4) Plug in new Mac.
5) Switch new Mac on.

Two problems with Macs.
1) They are horribly expensive.
2) You can only work on them how it lets you work on them.

I hate Macs (except the very old ones with which I have an unfortunate fascination) Pound for pound, PCs walk all over them.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
doughnut
Photographer
doughnut
RedChecker
You do realise that video cards often have routines built-in that massively accelerate the decoding.  Since this is an old laptop it may well be that said acceleration for HD video isn't present and MAY be relying on fully decoding the video using the CPU alone (wheras your PC may be using GPU acceleration).
Not sure why you're talking about laptops - an iMac is a desktop computer, isn't it?
Posted 25 Feb 2014
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
doughnut

Not sure why you're talking about laptops - an iMac is a desktop computer, isn't it?

Doesn't matter GPU offloading has been around for a while, but it's gained a lot of momentum recently with AMD APUs but that's not relevant here.

Both nVidia and AMD have the ability to encode/decode video streams to reduce the load on the CPU, it also gives a lot of power savings to the system. The Intel i3 processor also has this facility and I think some i5 SKUs.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join