Scottish referendum.

Scottish referendum.

143 posts
15 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Most people haven't a clue how to tell which way up the flag is.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
Consistently for a couple of years about 30% for and 50% against independence

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/scottish-independence-referendum

Interestingly if Scotland was independent over a third of the Union flags at Sochi would be Scottish saltires (which you can't get upside down). Though many Scots athletes train in England or elsewhere in Europe and many have the support of UK sporting bodies. So no guarantee of that in an independent future.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
It's a bit annoyed that you can be Scottish born and breed and yet live in England and get no vote. If they vote yes then you'll end up becoming a citizen of Scotland without having had any say in the matter.

I suspect it won't happen though.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Apparently it's been announced that an independent Scotland is likely to find it difficult to join the EU and this will put many voters off wanting independence. I would have thought that many would have found this a positive enticement!!
Posted 16 Feb 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
As it won't be long before there are more Pakistani's living in the UK, than there are Scottish people, perhaps the blue part of the flag should be changed to green.

Just an observation. Not trying to be provocative. Honest.
Dave

Posted 16 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Regardless of what they do, on the positive side we (the rest of the UK) will be rid of Salmon for good as he'll either bugger off north of Hadrian's wall or quit politics if the majority vote 'no' if he's true to his word (he said he'd quit if he didn't get the yes vote).
Posted 16 Feb 2014
Edited by RedChecker 16 Feb 2014
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
For any undecided people. Has this week's currency "debate" pushed you towards either side?

Posted 16 Feb 2014
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
Crippen
As it won't be long before there are more Pakistani's living in the UK, than there are Scottish people, perhaps the blue part of the flag should be changed to green. Just an observation. Not trying to be provocative. Honest. Dave
Difficult to see how you can unprovocatively see that 1.17M ethnic Pakistanis will soon be greater than 5.8M of Scots origin. However there are probably more people ethnically Pakistani in England (>1M) than Scots in England (<0.8M)
Posted 16 Feb 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
While the full story is pretty involved and complex, as appears to be getting revealed in dribs and drabs, the SNP seem to have been making a lot of assumptions, particularly about what they can pick and choose to include in their 'package', and can't or maybe pretending not to comprehend why they would not be allowed to just use Sterling.

It is interesting that there is such, apparent agreement from Con, Lab, Lib Dem, against the deal and, indeed, the EEC position, which looks to be a comprehensive 'Non' to Scotland just walking in.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Maybe they'll offer a bounty for returning Scots (tax break or lower property taxes) and build a more diverse economy?

Posted 16 Feb 2014
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
You can debate the right or wrongs about the English (and NI, Welsh) voters not having a say in Scottish Independence - but if Independence were to go through then we absolutely must have a say in any currency union.

I'm against Scottish Independence (sure, it would be good to see the back of a vocal minority of Scots who've always see the English as the root of their problems) - I think the combined country has a better prospect of success on the world stage.

If Independence were to pass, I'd be very strongly against currency union though - since I don't think it'd be in our interest. Good to see the political parties having some agreement on this - and Osborne spelling it out.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Andy_B

You can debate the right or wrongs about the English (and NI, Welsh) voters not having a say in Scottish Independence - but if Independence were to go through then we absolutely must have a say in any currency union. I'm against Scottish Independence (sure, it would be good to see the back of a vocal minority of Scots who've always see the English as the root of their problems) - I think the combined country has a better prospect of success on the world stage. If Independence were to pass, I'd be very strongly against currency union though - since I don't think it'd be in our interest. Good to see the political parties having some agreement on this - and Osborne spelling it out.

+1

I'm also of the genuine belief it should also be all or nothing. 

They're either with us or they're not, I don't agree with any half-measures as Salmond would prefer.

I if they vote 'no' however I would like to see the West Lothian Question resolved, in so much that Scottish MPs cannot vote on English matters.
Posted 16 Feb 2014
Edited by RedChecker 16 Feb 2014
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Andy_B

I think the combined country has a better prospect of success on the world stage.

There is no such thing is "the combined country".    The United Kingdom is made up of England, Wales, Scotland and part of the island of Ireland - all distinctively different.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
RedChecker I if they vote 'no' however I would like to see the West Lothian Question resolved, in so much that Scottish MPs cannot vote on English matters.
And vice versa of course. So if there is to be renegotiation of the Union after a No vote then the actual preferred option of the Scottish people by several opinion polls should be the outcome - "devolution max" which is really what most matches the needs and aspirations of both Scotland and England. A lot of britain's energy in the next century will come from Scotland, independence or not, from hydro, tidal, wind, oil, gas and possibly nuclear.
Posted 16 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join