Perfect or not?

21 posts
12 Feb 2014
silkythighslou

If it was personality that was important, how is that evident in a modelling profile ?

I just got a "daydream" of a photographer going on a models portfolio and saying "cooorarrr look at the personality on her".

Posted 18 Feb 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Ankesenamun

Does every model have to have the "perfect" figure or are there togs out there that see a curvy even size 10 curvy model as what they need for a shoot?

Just speaking personally, I think the face and eyes are the first thing that impact on whether I would like to photograph someone.  Combined with the range of expressions their portfolio conveys. 

There are some 'fuller figured' models on here who have absolutely beautiful, expressive faces that I would certainly photograph.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 19 Feb 2014
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
surely it's horses for courses. And personality does matter but only in as much as it comes through in the pics.
Normally you need to be skinny tall for fashion but can be personality free, curvy for glamour and needs a bit of connection through the camera, proportional and any size but mega personality on show for burlesque, plump can be great for bondage, older milf for 'magazine', darn buffed gym-bunny for fitness, reasonably attractive but any age for fashion catalogues, ... a model is the subject for a picture so it's the intent of the picture that determines if the model is cast well.

Posted 19 Feb 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
cziiki
surely it's horses for courses. And personality does matter but only in as much as it comes through in the pics. Normally you need to be skinny tall for fashion but can be personality free, curvy for glamour and needs a bit of connection through the camera, proportional and any size but mega personality on show for burlesque, plump can be great for bondage, older milf for 'magazine', darn buffed gym-bunny for fitness, reasonably attractive but any age for fashion catalogues, ... a model is the subject for a picture so it's the intent of the picture that determines if the model is cast well.
some personality traits which can have a bad effect on a shoot: 1) general unreliability, 2) inability to communicate, 3) not comfortable working at the required level (although prepared to have a go if the money's right) 4) inability to go 5 minutes with phone turned off 5) inability to find the location etc etc
Posted 19 Feb 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Of course personality matters!

If I wanted a manikin it would be cheaper to buy one! For fashion and figure may be "personality" has less relevance (but you still have to get on with the model?) but anything which is "portraiture" and by that I mean capturing something about the subject (not just confined to "head shot")then I'm afraid those that have the personality of a plank of wood, pose like a fluent glamour model cliché or are dead behind the eyes need not apply!!

I suspect this is why there may be so many images on modelling sites that don't really say anything at all? For me for a picture to work there must be some connection, some narrative and some chemistry or I fear it is just another selection of pixels arranged on a two dimensional plane?

Like others I don't always succeed of course but that is the target and defines whether one of my images works or not. For the duration of the shoot, yes ..the relationship between photographer and model not only matters but I believe the success of the shoot hinges on it..(with the caveat above re: fashion, figure and commercially commissioned shoots?)

I can't think of any photography exhibition I have been to from any of the greats where it isn't clearly obvious that there is a strong link between photographer and subject..and isn't that what makes them great when compared with the 1000's of images we see on modelling sites? If I see Bailey at his show on Monday, I'll ask him what he thinks!!

Posted 20 Feb 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
What you are describing is rapport and the ability to put emotion and felling into poses. Something that is again modelled.

Personality for me is how the person behaves in between shots, ie are they happy and chatty, are they extrovert and can they generate their own conversation.

When you are shooting, some of the best models I have worked with become completely different people and put themselves in the role / mood they are trying to portray.

I am sure someone who is naturally bubbly and extrovert will have less inhibitions and possibly have some of the ingredients necessary to make them a better model, but that doesn't mean they will be.

A major part of the photographers job is to build rapport with the model to get the necessary interaction and feeling into the shot.

The trouble is when I hear the words personality, then look at the port of the person saying it, I tend to see pictures that look like the person just likes being in the company of young naked ladies rather than trying to create pictures with real emotion which has to be modelled.

I am sure if the word the question appropriately, Bailey will give you an answer you want to hear because you can obviously achieve alot with someone who is naturally extrovert and that is a key ingedient of personality, but in the context often used in internet modelling, I think personality means a completely different thing.
Posted 20 Feb 2014
Edited by Gerry99111 20 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join