All out of love with my camera

All out of love with my camera

30 posts
9 Feb 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
OldMaster
Well David.. I fear it was at least ambiguous then? It makes none of the rest of my post irrelevant though. Unlike your reply which is so much more about you than helping the op. Try and deal with your insecurity and inferiority complex rather than publish it here!
David's point didn't seem ambiguous to me. The basics of photography are not really that difficult. Seeing a photo before you take it is usually the difficult bit.
Posted 11 Feb 2014
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
i go through spits and spirts of working on several projects then having a break at times i can feel slightly disheartened maybe a bit defeated for whatever reason im just getting outta 1 of these stages and ive just booked a shoot for next week i think everyone goes through this you just loose what spurs you on to shoot weather it be models or landscape so dont feel like your alone cause you aint
Posted 11 Feb 2014
Edited by SDuell 11 Feb 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Thanks everyone for your kind words and contributions - you've already made me feel motivated enough to agree a shoot for the end of next month! It's interesting how even highly motivated people and pros seem to occasionally get in a rut. In some ways it's actually more of an issue when it's purely a hobby because you HAVE to enjoy what you're doing, otherwise it's no longer a hobby! Purestorm to the rescue!
Posted 11 Feb 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
As John Wayne once said "Get on your bike and drink your milk". Or was it get off your bike and drink your milk. Good luck with the shoot.

Posted 11 Feb 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
frankpht

As John Wayne once said "Get on your bike and drink your milk". Or was it get off your bike and drink your milk. Good luck with the shoot.

I think in my case Frank it might be more a case of 'Get off your face and drink whisky'!!

Posted 12 Feb 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Problems! After finally finding the incentive to arrange a couple of shoots for next month, the result of which even gave me the confidence to post a short notice shoot for tomorrow , I decided this evening to dust off the camera in readiness. However, it now feels 'soiled' having spent 3 months with our friends in blue and is now giving me issues. I feel I don't really want to touch it. Will a new camera put me back to where I was 6 months ago or has the magic gone?
Posted 22 Feb 2014
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
Yeah I can see your point,
The magic will always be there you just put it on a back burner.
Not sure if new equipment will pull you out of this, it could be a expensive mistake.
But what ever you do the best of luck with it..

On a good note I've been into photography since I was 17 and I'm having my 60th in April, photography has been on the back burner a few times through different reasons but I still come back to it.
Hope this helps.

Posted 23 Feb 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Thanks Steve - I think you're right about 'expensive mistake'. They say that if you fall off your horse you need to get back on again as quickly as possible. It sounds stupid but I feel my camera has been soiled so I'm thinking giving it a good clean might help. Perhaps I'm photographically OCD!
Posted 23 Feb 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
I think you're over thinking on this and after all it is only a camera. Yet it was and is yours and what has happened to it is not the cameras fault. Love your camera you paid good money for it. Anything that replaces it will still be only a camera.

Posted 23 Feb 2014
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Rich, get down to the £ shop for hand/pocket warmers, and fingerless gloves, wrap up warmishly,  stick a walkabout lens on a body, and go wander the streets, and look for interesting images, with your talent, you'll see something that makes you stop and shoot.  

Take a camera bag, and you'll never take the camera out.  Taking a tripod slows you down, and creates fuss. so it's got to be just a camera and lens.  

Stop procrastinating.  
Posted 23 Feb 2014
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Cheers Gerry - the idea of shooting without a tripod is food for thought as it's something I never tend to do
Posted 24 Feb 2014
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Never worry about these spells. It's either your brain telling you its had enough photography for now and time to try something else or you just need a break because of other reasons. Either way you can't lose. I haven't fired a shot in anger for four years and I know the reason why but I am gradually feeling the old hunger to get out and shoot again. I wont rush it and I have a feeling that I might be trying species of photography I haven't explored for a long time.

Posted 24 Feb 2014
dannyrich
Photographer
dannyrich
Had one of those spells recently. Didnt shoot from End of Nov to last Friday due to life/work commitments.

Regarding whether a new camera might help, maybe but always a risk.

I have recently bought into the Fuji X series and this really has brought my thoughts back to photography and its small enough to take places with you whether you use it or not... less laboured more fun?

Posted 25 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Almost nine months for me now without a proper full-day shoot

Time and money have been in short supply for months (made worse by having to get a new car and then crashing the thing), and as a result my motivation's suffered.  My day job's also been somewhat hellish for months and the last thing I wasnt to do when I'm home is sit at a screen and edit photos.  Not to mention all the shitty weather we've had, hopefully will pick up the desire to shoot again now the day's are getting longer and weather getting warmer.
Posted 25 Feb 2014
Edited by RedChecker 25 Feb 2014
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
One good shoot with the old camera and you're back in the saddle. treat her like a pet that's been in the kennels and has to get familiar with you again! she needs TLC not rejection or,try just using your phone camera for a while? you're not carrying anything extra, you can take a picture anywhere, and nowadays samsung, sony, nokia certainly give perfectly good results for computer screens. and you might find you're photographing different things and getting back to that 'seeing with new eyes' thing that photography gives you at the start. several of my most faved pics on dA were taken with a Galaxy Note II (not that you judge photography based on faves in dA but still...!)
Posted 25 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join