Here we go again....

Here we go again....

30 posts
7 Jan 2014
mph

Yes - should have shot the inconsiderate bastard!

Maybe they'd forgotten their cameras or thought it might be against the law to take photographs in these circumstances cheeky

I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case but just because we have the right to do certain things doesnt mean we have to do them, whatever happen to respect and common decency ?

I believe, as a Freeman of the City of Newcastle, Alan Shearer has the right to graze his sheep in the City, for whatever reason he chooses not to!
Posted 7 Jan 2014
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
I've sat here wondering if I should comment or not. I haven't seen the youtube, not sure if I want.
So I can't comment on the video but the split opinion on here. Of all the people who would like to see the copper dismissed, have you never said anything in the heat of the moment, have you attended or been involved in a fatal RTA. Yes I know police should be perfect, think about everything they say, make sure they are beyond reproach. I know photographers rights have been frequently trampled on, bullied by over zealous police and security guards however........ had I been the victim in that situation, as I ascended up to the pearly gates I would of been hoping that the policeman shoved the camera up the photographers kyber pass. Unless of course the photographer was there in an official capacity.
Still wondering, of all the people who wanted the copper lynched what if it was your mum, daughter , partner]

Posted 7 Jan 2014
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
clearview_photography
I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case but just because we have the right to do certain things doesnt mean we have to do them, whatever happen to respect and common decency ?
It is not the police officer's job to threaten someone with unlawful arrest, to make up the law as he goes along, and to treat the public like dirt. I could have some sympathy if he had just been a bit snotty with the photographer, but he moved away from acceptable behaviour into prolonged bullying until the photographer was sufficiently subdued to sooth his ego.
Posted 7 Jan 2014
Sdeve

It is not the police officer's job to threaten someone with unlawful arrest, to make up the law as he goes along, and to treat the public like dirt. I could have some sympathy if he had just been a bit snotty with the photographer, but he moved away from acceptable behaviour into prolonged bullying until the photographer was sufficiently subdued to sooth his ego.

Well its good to see EX Chief Inspector Corner of the Yard is on the case but if you check I think I said

"I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case"

So there seems to be little point in bringing up the issue with me, obviously with your training and vast experience in the Police force maybe you should have spotted that, I bet you were the perfect Police Officer 
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
clearview_photography
Well its good to see EX Chief Inspector Corner of the Yard is on the case but if you check I think I said "I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case" So there seems to be little point in bringing up the issue with me, obviously with your training and vast experience in the Police force maybe you should have spotted that, I bet you were the perfect Police Officer 
Aren't you the bright one. You haven't seen the video yet you feel inclined to comment on it. Nothing of what I said was a personal attack on you yet you feel free to make personal remarks about me. Your comments moralise about common decency and respect. Qualities you seem unqualified to judge if your predilection to personal abuse is anything to judge by. And, FWIW, I would never in my police career, perfect or not, have acted like that cretin.
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Sdeve

Aren't you the bright one. You haven't seen the video yet you feel inclined to comment on it. Nothing of what I said was a personal attack on you yet you feel free to make personal remarks about me. Your comments moralise about common decency and respect. Qualities you seem unqualified to judge if your predilection to personal abuse is anything to judge by. And, FWIW, I would never in my police career, perfect or not, have acted like that cretin.

Wrong again, I havent commented on the video but rather on the fact that because we have certain rights to do somethings some people feel the need to exercise them whatever the circumstances

So your problems in life only started when you left the force then?
Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
HowardJ
No, they'd removed the risk of death from the public and the individual by closing the road. They should then have removed the individual by non-lethal means, introducing protective measures to stop him hurting himself and removed him to a safe place where they could have helped him with his problems. Allowing one person to mess up the lives of 1000s for almost an entire day just can't be right. The innocent members of the public were just forgotten about.
I hadn't realised that by closing the road that he could no longer hurt himself by jumping off the bridge. Low one was it?
Posted 8 Jan 2014
HMansfield
Photographer
HMansfield
oceanova
have you never said anything in the heat of the moment,
I've certainly never told someone that they were lucky that I hadn't already knocked them out. I've been in an RTA with an absolute nobhead before too, and I didn't even threaten him. With regards to Sgt Public-relations, the level by which he explains how he will make the photographer's day Hell, suggests that he's not blurting out something in the heat of the moment, but fully conscious and considerate of what he's saying.
Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph

I hadn't realised that by closing the road that he could no longer hurt himself by jumping off the bridge. Low one was it?

Apparently they put him on a crash diet (unfortunate use of words) and he lost so much weight he floated, feather like, down and made a soft landing

But, as luck would have it a nosey person with a camera was passing I decided to take some photographs but thats a whole new story
Posted 8 Jan 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
mph
it wouldn't, but jumping off the bridge would most likely result in a non-critical injury unless he is an accomplished diving champion (I'm sure the police could have asked just to make sure ). He might then have learned he was being bloody stupid and should sort his life out.
Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
HowardJ

it wouldn't, but jumping off the bridge would most likely result in a non-critical injury unless he is an accomplished diving champion (I'm sure the police could have asked just to make sure ). He might then have learned he was being bloody stupid and should sort his life out.

Bloody Hell

a) Non critical?  He'd be lucky!
b) If ever I am in trouble - I'll know who to come to for sympathy and understanding!

You should stick with my original suggestion of shooting the inconsiderate bugger.

Posted 8 Jan 2014
AlletunYL
Photographer
AlletunYL
Sometimes capturing Tradgedy and beauty in a public place is a crime, but also not to capture Tradgedy & beauty in a public place is surely a crime of history and humanity

Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
AlletunYL

Sometimes capturing Tradgedy and beauty in a public place is a crime, but also not to capture Tradgedy & beauty in a public place is surely a crime of history and humanity

Yes but a picture of a car and a road ain't quite a tragedy!
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
mph

Yes but a picture of a car and a road ain't quite a tragedy!

It could be... (and newsworthy)

James Dean crash scene

Marc Bolan crash scene

Best regards
Paul

Posted 8 Jan 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Since when has it been the norm for the Police to decide the law based on a sensitivity issue. His actions were hardly likely to do anything more than incur further disruption of the scene anyway.

Its simple, the photographer was not it appears breaking any laws..he could have been a freelance of press anyway ?

So, as usual we see the Police playing God. Back off and learn the limitations of your job would have my response. ..and as for photographing in "sensitive areas"...what a load of contrived boll*cks that one is...

Hell..I guess it won't be long before some of the population think its ok to shoot to kill an unarmed man...could never happen here...could it?

Posted 10 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join