Cameras used in films

Cameras used in films

23 posts
3 Jan 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
The star of the moment and the past couple of years is the Arri Alexa for many films and TV. After a long wait from Arri, they produced a camera which appeals to directors and cameramen alike. Its easy to operate, the menus are well-organised and it uses Ambient timecode. With a 14 stop exposure latitude, it records immense detail and gives enormous grading flexibility.

That's not to say that the RED is in any way shabby. But it seems that the success of the Alexa means that there are better deals to be had in hiring REDs and they are a bit quirky by comparison. The cooling fan on the Epic is so loud its like having a washing machine running on set so they are a good choice for non-sync shoots. And, as above, they all need add-ons to make them operable.

The new kid on the block is the Arri Amira, designed as a documentary camera but with the sensor from the Alexa and time-limited upgradeable.

Posted 10 Feb 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Arri seems to be the preferred choice for most hollywood production. I'm not in the market for Arri or RED because the price range is out of my budget as a hobbyist. However cameras from Blackmagic is within my budget and intercut with Arri very well. The new Andrex advert was shot with both Arri and Blackmagic, can you tell which camera shot which scene? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH1Ec9Dr9NE
Posted 11 Feb 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
With the 5dmkiii coming with video and having been used in some film sets I was looking forward to learning about it and maybe eventually putting it into play on some short film type vids. However having had a good go with it now I find the following. GREAT FOR: Depth of field, slow blur bokkeh type work, intro's, a fun extra. NOT SO GOOD FOR: full on film work, robust film shooting, etc

I find the footage to be a little over saturated, and clearly the need for lots of lenses and swapping lenses, manual focus fine adjustment, avoiding camera shake etc etc is all not really practical for fast shooting.

I'm tempted on the canon xa10 for an all-rounder but not sure, for indoor work on a dslr it's really all about light, a couple of work lights do ok but would melt the subject in no time.
Even then the images are over saturated, although of course this can be edited in post.
I've got some good footage in the past, don't get me wrong, but I think If I was wanting something more to take out and about and get definite great results every time with it wouldn't be a dslr. I would hope to find a decent video camera that ticks all the boxes without spending ten grand. Even then if you don't know how to use it then it wont be much use. I've seen ok footage on the action cams, hand held £200 jobs, even mobile phone footage, but soon as you enlarge the content it goes. The XA10 at the moment seems most appealing for the hobby type looking for pro results. But as I have never used an is lens for video on the 5d I may be in for better results when I do.

I would never risk magic lantern or other firmware or alterations, although the results look good.

Posted 11 Feb 2014
Edited by Catuaba 10 Feb 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUngL6VAdg

Posted 11 Feb 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
For 5D shoot flat profile such as Neutral in picture style and turn down saturation, colour, sharpness or better still download Cinestyle. Grade everything in post.

Posted 11 Feb 2014
Edited by Chandos 10 Feb 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
I had a play with wondershare video editer, as a download whilst deciding on adobe's software, the saturation turned ok and video looked well, but for indoor I was at like iso 1250 F11 1/50th and 23 frames, this was on a 50mm 1.8 so no i.s. It looks not bad but having too work lights on was a nightmare and the slightest knock to the camera without is was bad.
The whole zoom aspect too in comparison to a decent camcorder was weird.
Photography I am not new to, but with video it's brand new, starting from the bottom. And just because it's coming with dslr's now let me say, does not make me think for a second im a videographer, just interested in learning.

When I say zoom aspect, clearly the 50mm is a prime, I also used a 70-200 f4 in the tight space but I mean In general on a camcorder you can zoom quick and accurately in a different way.

Posted 11 Feb 2014
Edited by Catuaba 10 Feb 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
RedChecker

I made a mistake, there's only one in existence

I don't know if anyone's been following the Quentin Tarantino saga, regarding his latest film 'The Hateful Eight', which he dropped when a Hollywood agent apparently posted the script online. 

The film is described, as a 70mm ensemble Western.

In fact, the very opening lines of the script read...

EXT -  WHITE WINTER WYOMING MOUNTAIN RANGE - SNOWY DAY.

A breathtaking 70mm filmed (as is the whole movie) snow covered mountain range.

A staggering opening vista, set to appropriately nerve jangling music.

Then in the bottom left of this big 70MM SUPER CINEMASCOPE FRAME, we see a STAGECOACH being pulled by a team of SIX HORSES rip snorting through the bottom of the landscape.

Perhaps we can expect a resurgence of 70mm.
Dave

Posted 11 Feb 2014
ATVLONDON
Photographer
ATVLONDON
My Arriflex 16 BL. I used this camera to shoot lots of stuff between 2000 - 2008. Bloody expensive to feed with film and getting it telecined was prohibitive for a pauper like me.
[URL=http://img267.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=155784908_arri_122_252lo.jpg][/URL]
If this doesn't display can someone explain how you post images on these threads.
Posted 11 Feb 2014
Edited by ATVLONDON 11 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join