You noticed, huh! Often when I have criticised the police I have had various people, police officers serving or retired, suggest my opinions are caused by having been arrested, convicted, and/or retired under a cloud, especially when they perhaps notice I served 22 years. To save any such persons the effort on here, if there are any, I retired due to injury, I have never been arrested, never charged with any offence, I have my long service and good conduct medal, and a full, and quite decent, pension. From my service and personal life I have no reason to hold a grudge of any sort, and I do not. Nevertheless, I maintain that in this country we are heading towards, if not already living in, a police state. A very British police state to be sure, but a police state for all that. Not something I care for.mphDo I detect just the slightest hint of disillusionment with your former employers, Steve?
Of course not. But, take a cool, clear, mountain stream, fresh to drink and good to see. Now discharge the toxic waste product of some manufacturing process or other. It may only constitute 1% of the total mix, but none of it is fit to drink. Here's the problem. If even 80% of police officers are good, honest, efficient, hardworking types, that leaves 20%. If half of those are stupid or bent in some or other fashion, and half don't give a damn, which is which? Every police officer has the potential to wreck your life, or at least cause a disproportionate amount of grief. The problem is, the tossers among them do not wear an identifying badge to forewarn you. They look, and sometimes act, superficially at least, like all the good ones. The only practical way to deal with police officers is on the basis that they are all tossers, because you only need one in the chain and your life could be wrecked.D4vidQuoting Laurence's Posting "When I got pulled over years ago and accused the police of this country becoming a police state the reply was "and what's wrong with that?" I think that comments like that really do say it all." Surely one officers remark is not being construed as indiciative of the attitude of the entire national Police Service? I ask this as someone who served for 37 years in the Police Service in west Yorkshire.
Thanks for all your advice and comments folks. My main concern now is that I do voluntary work for a couple of charities - one involves disadvantaged children and the other vulnerable people, so I regularly have an enhanced CRB check carried out. Apparently my brush with the law will show up on this. Hopefully as I was innocent it won't affect anything.