Is there something I don't know?

Is there something I don't know?

20 posts
29 Nov 2013
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Yep, I think its a combination of everything everyone has said. It is kind of like a 'perfect storm'. There is less money around in general due to the ongoing economic crisis (and talk of a 'recovery' should be taken with a pinch of salt. Sure, certain sectors and indicators are 'improving' but it won't go back to like it was - it will be a different kind of economy), rising living costs and stagnated or falling earnings are biting into people's discretionary spending (and as pointed out most photographers do it as a hobby), the monetary value of images is falling fast for most professional photographers due to a multitude of reasons, and on top of all that you have ever increasing over-saturation of supply (basically more models than you can 'shake a stick at'. Granted many are crap, as are many 'photographers', but there more there are the more difficult it becomes to chance upon the good ones). If I could offer any advice at all it would be to market, market, market. You are stunning and have a great reputation so if there is any work available you should have a good chance of getting it. I'd totally book you myself, but these days I can't make any real money from my art (lots of people want my drawings and black and white framed 'arty' nude photographs for example, but they aren't willing to pay enough any longer - as in prices are dropping - to make it worthwhile me bringing them to market, so in turn I can't pay models any real money). It was always a tough industry but its getting tougher by the day. If you love it you will hang in there
Posted 28 Dec 2013
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Also, you have changed your appearance a lot since you started out, so some of the people who you worked with at the beginning might not include you in their working parameters now...

Judging by the number of photographers on the site now, compared to models (as I write now, there are 3½ times more photographers than models) and the 'professional status' of them (2/3 of the models hold Silver accounts or higher, less than 1/3 of the photographers are silver or above), the number of paying photographers is also probably dropping so fewer togs have money in their pocket.

Whereas I understand that modelling is your profession, I think fewer photographers are pure professional photographers on here now and so are just looking for TF where they can find it...

Posted 28 Dec 2013
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuilding..
Well for amateur photographers like me the issue is money. I tried to arrange 4 paid shoots a year at an average cost of £700 in terms of model hire, studio hire, ancillary costs such as car hire and fuel costs etc.

However in August 2013 my income was cut by around £300 per month after tax. This was the £300 that I used for photography and other hobbies. Therefore this year I am stuck with Model Days and their limitations and only one or two all day shoots with the ideas that I want to try myself.

So that is why I am unable to shoot as much as I would like.

Also I am much more choosey about whom I work with. I always tried to get the best. However now I will choose from the small number of people I have worked with before. This is not likely to change until I get a higher income.

Posted 28 Dec 2013
grisey
Photographer
grisey
My Take 1) ATVOD is hitting some websites hard and taking them down, this is only going to get harder, they go after people that upload to C4S and soon models that upload clips to adultwork. so the amateurs that maybe had some C4S stores don't any more and have no reason to shoot. 2)New girls into the industry will always be booked first over a rebook, Yes some fans request certain models but as skymouse says logistics and other combinations may not always fit in to what you have planned. Web clients and magazines always want the new girl fresh face first and would rather have that over an establish models its sad but true and its 100% easier to work with establish models and you know they will turn up etc and not flake. 3) Webcam/adultwork is turning alot of models into "why do i want to shoot i can sit on webcam and make the same amount". I offered a girl £350 the other month for 5 hours shooting but as she would of had to travel she turned it down because she can sit on webcam and make the same money. 3.1) as they sit on webcam all day.... they put on weight ( its going to happen ), so now i have to request up to date pictures of models before booking them, if they don't provide recent pictures i don't book. so booking models is now a longer process then its ever been It kinda puts a downer on the whole process of booking models now for me.
Posted 28 Dec 2013
GirlsAtHome
Photographer
GirlsAtHome
Well I must say i know it's not a problem at your end! I think there are so many factors in this based around financials, availability, etc.

I have cut down to possibly one or 2 shoots a month and to be honest I am finding myself only looking for models who are close to my location. One of the biggest things I hate about this industry, is travel costs and expenses. ( I'm not saying you do this btw) know we have messaged a couple of times and I apologise for not arranging anything but I worked out it would probably cost me just as much to travel or cover you to me as the rate I'm paying you to shoot, and i would just rather pay a local model for more hours.

I am self employed and if I travel with work I get my VAT back and that's it. Some other models want 100% reimbursement for their travel and it actually puts me off booking a model sometimes.

I would like to add this is not my reflection on you or you as a model as I think you are great but I just wish you were closer lol!

Keep going at it and things like webcam can help significantly when shoots are short!

Posted 11 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join