Comet photo opportunity.

Comet photo opportunity.

20 posts
26 Nov 2013
vasquito
Photographer
vasquito
Bob

Seeing Hale Bopp was one of the most memorable events of my life, and I even managed to capture it on film, but unfortunately I did not own a digital camera back in April '97 and I only had a 300mm lens with me so I could not get decent shots.

On the night the comet passed closest to Earth a bunch of us were out in the Sahara southwest of Tamagroute, courtesy of Michelin who were promoting their then new Scorpion desert tyre to international motoring journalists competing on the '97 Toyota Desert Raid. The sky was cloudless, as is usual at that time of year in the Western Sahara, and the nearest civilisation (village) was at least 40 kilometres away from our camp, so there was no light spill to spoil our view. Even the Michelin guys who were trying to give the formal product presentation gave up and joined us drivers and navigators lying on our backs on a steeply sloping dune just taking in the spectacular sight while drinking warm Moroccan wine and nibbling on charcoal grilled lamb kebabs. A truly wondrous experience.

Bob

insanely jealous !!!

V

Posted 28 Nov 2013
pontius584
Photographer
pontius584
Comet Ison seems to have gone too close to the sun and melted now. Bugger.

Posted 28 Nov 2013
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
pontius584
Comet Ison seems to have gone too close to the sun and melted now. Bugger.
Latest report said it was still intact
Posted 28 Nov 2013
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Looks like it's still alive - http://soho.esac.esa.int/data/realtime/c3/512/

Posted 29 Nov 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
PaulManuell
I remember Haley's comet being on the news when it was here, but never saw it myself.
Haley's comet would have been one of Bill's backing singers. I think it's Halley's comet you mean. I know, everyone hates a smartarse.
Posted 29 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join