Image accepted for PhotoVogue

Image accepted for PhotoVogue

27 posts
12 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
I'd rather give away all copyright than promote murderous weaponry.

Posted 7 Dec 2013
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Bob

Never tell a wannabe emperor that his new clothes don't exist.

If those freely giving their images and copyright away to a massive publishing house (Conde Nast) by uploading them to what is effectively little more than a portfolio site like Purestorm (albeit a site that rejects some worthless images that users try to upload) think doing so is a good thing to do just leave them to it. Remember that some people get a buzz from impressing the impressionable by collecting sticky stars.

Bob

Don't let unsubstantiated prejudice stand in the way of a poorly expressed opinion.
Photovogue receives about 3000 submissions per day, of which approx 30 (1%) are selected for inclusion on their website.
Any images used subsequently are marketed through Arts and Commerce (Conde Nast's stock library) and paid for. On having an image accepted, you will receive a contract from Arts and Commerce, which regulates any sales of the image.
Whether any kudos is attached to having an image accepted is down to the individual, but it is more likely to result in a sale rather than displaying on a portfolio site.

http://photovogue.artandcommerce.com/
Posted 7 Dec 2013
Edited by kenp 7 Dec 2013
tob
Photographer
tob
Rawandthecooked
... vogue italia is not vogue, it is not really an indicator of quality ...
At least you should have done your homework, so I assume that you are referring to the US edition when talking about Vogue. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Vogue Italia is the Italian edition of Vogue magazine. Owned by Condé Nast International, it is the least commercial of all editions of Vogue magazine[2] and has been called the top fashion magazine in the world.[3] Its imagery is frequently shocking and provocative; according to the art director of British Vogue, its photographs "go beyond straight fashion to be about art and ideas".[1] You might not see it as a quality indicator, but at least all accepted images make it past the editors, and more than 99% of all uploads are refused. How many images get refused on PS, as long as they are within the sites limits? Quote from the vogue.it website: If I want to work for Vogue, is this the right space to get myself noticed and make contact with the editorial staff? Yes, PhotoVogue is the best way to submit your work to us. As we’ve said above, Vogue Italia is always looking for new talent, and has always been a showcase for excellence. So if you’re a photographer, an aspiring photographer, or you’re looking for a space when your work can be evaluated, assessed and displayed, PhotoVogue is right for you.
Bob
...If those freely giving their images and copyright away to a massive publishing house (Conde Nast) by uploading them…
A statement by one of their editors: "... the right of all of the images, as well for the legal responsibilities of them, belong to the photographer, photovogue is just a way to showcase your work. the images can be published in other medium, of course." Just my 2p… Mike
Posted 7 Dec 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
My point is this, get a couple of snaps past some firkin intern, on a non paying site, and all of a sudden, you are 'published by vogue', or ' vogue approved' ( yes I have seen guys making theses claims!)Anyone making such claims is a snake oil salesman of the highest order.That is all. though I do assume the odd decent snap does get through, even Kirky makes no claims for greatness for his shed snap!

Posted 8 Dec 2013
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Not on the subject of "Vogue" and certainly not aiming at the poster, in fact welldone to the poster I have come across chancers who because they had contributed by sending freeby pics or intend to send them to the BBC had use this ambiguity of working for the BBC to impress their clients and getting exclusive photo rights at gigs. In case anyone did'nt know the BBC especially their news and entertainment online service often request photos from members of the public for free. It does not mean they are under the employment by the corporation.
Posted 8 Dec 2013
Edited by Chandos 8 Dec 2013
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Rawandthecooked

My point is this, get a couple of snaps past some firkin intern, on a non paying site, and all of a sudden, you are 'published by vogue', or ' vogue approved' ( yes I have seen guys making theses claims!)Anyone making such claims is a snake oil salesman of the highest order.That is all. though I do assume the odd decent snap does get through, even Kirky makes no claims for greatness for his shed snap!

No your point was to rubbish somebody's wholly reasonable and honest post. Photovogue state that the images are reviewed and selected by their picture editor, you say 'some firkin intern'. Photovogue images are marketed and paid for by Arts and Commerce, you say 'non paying site'. I know who I believe.
Instead you highjack the thread to boast that you were given a raffle prize by someone who was paid to give you said prize about 40 years ago.
You sad little man.
Posted 8 Dec 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
Have to answer that one Ken! Your memory seems to be better than mine, as you seem to know all about my award, except that it wasn't a raffle, Mr Snowdon was not paid, and 40 years ago I would have been twelve! Want to tell me more about it? You clearly have no idea what your talking about, and just because I am not,personally, over impressed by the 'vogue italia' thing, other opinions are available. That doesn't mean you have the right to get all huffy about it.If you don't like an opinion that isn't sycophantic, just jog on, and let's not make it personal, eh?

Posted 8 Dec 2013
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Sorry? All I have done is trivialise something that you consider to be a personal achievement.
Exactly what you have done with the OP.

Posted 8 Dec 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
I was judged and awarded by the only truly relevant professional body in photography in this country ( can you guess which body I am referring to?). The Hassleblad was only one of the prizes I won. Even if it was 30 years ago, it is still a matter of personal pride to me. Snowdon not only awarded it, he judged it!

Forgive me if I personally find this more of an achievement than a photo vogue italia, or even an FPI from another modelling website. I am clearly missing a marketing opportunity by not calling myself an award winning fashion photographer.As clearly this thread has been de-railed, I will make no further contribution. Now go have a large scotch before you give yourself a heart attack…… IT'S ONLY MY OPINION!

Posted 8 Dec 2013
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Don't you appreciate that you are diminishing your own achievment with your unwarranted put down of the OP?
If you desperately want a pat on the back for something that happend decades ago, then start your own thread.

Posted 8 Dec 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
well done its a gr8 pic

Posted 8 Dec 2013
panda49
Photographer
panda49
Well done but just another way of conde naste getting free images sadly

Posted 8 Dec 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join