Any experts on peanuts/monkey nuts out there?

Any experts on peanuts/monkey nuts out there?

25 posts
22 Oct 2013
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
I get distressed when I buy a bag of Pistachio nuts and most of them are unsplit. Have you tried opening them??

Posted 23 Oct 2013
Imagery
Photographer
Imagery
Ohh I could be really boring at this point..... This phenomena is often called 'blind seeds' in many crops. There can be many causes..... In peanuts/groundnuts I believe it is usually and very commonly caused by a calcium deficiency. In grass seeds it is often caused by a fungus... other pests effecting early development at seed formation can also cause this.. The toxins a previous poster referred to are mycotoxins produced by moulds. A relatively recent and increasing area of human understanding. Many are carcinogenic. Most can occur in food stuffs to a dangerous level even when visible mould (to the human eye) is not present...
Posted 23 Oct 2013
jes
Model
jes
oceanova

I get distressed when I buy a bag of Pistachio nuts and most of them are unsplit. Have you tried opening them??

Don't even try.  It ususally ends up in someone having to perform the heimlich manouvre.
Posted 23 Oct 2013
Imagery
Photographer
Imagery
Imagery
Ohh I could be really boring at this point..... This phenomena is often called 'blind seeds' in many crops. There can be many causes..... In peanuts/groundnuts I believe it is usually and very commonly caused by a calcium deficiency. In grass seeds it is often caused by a fungus... other pests effecting early development at seed formation can also cause this.. The toxins a previous poster referred to are mycotoxins produced by moulds. A relatively recent and increasing area of human understanding. Many are carcinogenic. Most can occur in food stuffs to a dangerous level even when visible mould (to the human eye) is not present...
and I forgot to say the empty pods you are finding are called "pops"
Posted 23 Oct 2013
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
Imagery

Ohh I could be really boring at this point..... This phenomena is often called 'blind seeds' in many crops. 

Is this similar to blind daffodils?

Posted 23 Oct 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
clearview_photography

Wow, you certainly know your nuts 

I've been surrounded by nuts most of my working life. 

Posted 23 Oct 2013
Imagery
Photographer
Imagery
Fisherface
Is this similar to blind daffodils?
Yes indeed similar causes, it's just really the seed (or flower) aborting due to a stress factor. Can be nutrients , disease or sometimes pest.
Posted 24 Oct 2013
As a child I always thought peanuts were a disappointment - they always seemed to look tastier with the shell on! A bit too nutty for me, I'm nuts about nuts that are a bit less nutty like almonds ...now we're talking.
Posted 24 Oct 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
oceanova

Yes, and I frequently break my nails trying to do it.  Nut crackers are the only solution, but by the time you've done that, the reward hardly justifies the effort.

Posted 24 Oct 2013
grahamwhite
Photographer
grahamwhite
Dani-Elle
As a child I always thought peanuts were a disappointment - they always seemed to look tastier with the shell on! A bit too nutty for me, I'm nuts about nuts that are a bit less nutty like almonds ...now we're talking.
+1 We get through a big bag of almonds every week. It started as a health thing, now we just eat too many of the damn things
Posted 25 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join