Thinking of moving to Scotland. Will I need to quit modelling?!

Thinking of moving to Scotland. Will I need to quit modelling?!

49 posts
18 Oct 2013
Arria
Photographer
Arria
Hi Roxy, There's never going to be as many Photographers in Scotland as there would be in England purely due to the larger population down in England. That said, there's no reason why if you market yourself correctly, that you couldn't make a living from modelling in Scotland. In my opinion, I'd say Glasgow would be better than Edinburgh, as it would be cheaper to live there. As previous posters have said, there are good road and rail networks in Scotland......and great outdoor locations Maybe you could do a few tours first - to dip your toe in the water so to speak. Good luck! Arria.
Posted 20 Oct 2013
I really appreciate all your comments. The reason for moving is my partner is Scottish. And we're thinking of getting a house up there. .
Posted 20 Oct 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RoxyMendez
I really appreciate all your comments. The reason for moving is my partner is Scottish. And we're thinking of getting a house up there. .
must be cheaper to buy there than in England but they have a slightly wacky system for selling houses no doubt your partner knows it well.
Posted 20 Oct 2013
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Be delighted to see you in Inverness anytime

Posted 20 Oct 2013
Edited by BrazenDivas 20 Oct 2013
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
There are more people living in Yorkshire than in the whole of Scotland. So proportionally there must be less opportunity in Scotland.

Posted 21 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Don't forget the Scottish have a well-earned reputation for being thrifty (tight-fisted).
Posted 21 Oct 2013
Hi Roxy

I would listen to Chrissie. She has been modelling up here for a while.

In my opinion another person to contact would be Fredau H.

http://www.purestorm.com/Fredau

She models up here. She is always busy and brilliant. However I do not know how much of the work is up here or whether it is all touring. However she is moving to Canada. She will be missed.

I think that you would struggle for adult. (That is my personal opinion) However if you are looking to shoot Art style then you should get work.

David

Posted 21 Oct 2013
Also I meant to mention above look at the Scottish Creative Network and the local photographic networks on the evil facebook.

(Some of us will call it Pusbook).

Also for outdoor shoots highland Perthshire, Angus and Aberdeenshire are great on the three sunny days a year.

Posted 21 Oct 2013
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
RedChecker

Don't forget the Scottish have a well-earned reputation for being thrifty (tight-fisted).

Only among the hard of thinking.

Posted 21 Oct 2013
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Lots of garbage on this thread

Posted 21 Oct 2013
Haha.. thanks for that guys! I haven't looked at any specific areas yet but will keep you updated! Thsnks a lot
Posted 21 Oct 2013
blackcircle
Photographer
blackcircle
atumeda
Since I am not a professional photographer but have another job working with large companies I can tell you this: In Scotland is only one thing plenty, and that are midges. Followed by too much alcohol. Work is nearly always bad paid, except you are a banker. My advise: I do not know why you want to move, but if you want to boost yourself seriously ... Why not going to the centre of everything (in Europe): Germany. Everything is more plenty there than here, but also much more challenging and rewarding, (British laziness is not helpful). Why Germany? If you are in Scotland and enter your car and drive ten hours you are ether in the worst northwest on a tiny single track road or about just passing London, what is both equal to nowhere, because still in the same tiny country with all its limitations ... If you do that driving in Germany (based Cologne) you are in less time in all the big centers: Duesseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Brussels, Paris, Milano. And there is the world class of modeling and opportunities.
Idiot.
Posted 21 Oct 2013
atumeda
Photographer
atumeda
blackcircle
Idiot.
Your an example why NOT to move to Scotland
Posted 1 Nov 2013
blackcircle
Photographer
blackcircle
atumeda
Your an example why NOT to move to Scotland
*you're Idiot.
Posted 1 Nov 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Now, now. Play nice and don't forget the rattles.

Posted 2 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join