7D written off...

20 posts
7 Aug 2013
raven60
Photographer
raven60
smooth_image
Sent my 7D (about 4 years old) away last week as I had started getting wierd problems with the model dial, example M was set on bulb on exposure, Av even with a 2.8 lens set on Av at 2.8 would change aperture as you panned around the room in different light... not good, quoted full service and parts if any needed tops 180...call today, sending camera back as apparent corrosion inside makes it an uneconomic repair...stunned ! Awaiting camera back to see exactly what is what but how does something like this stand under insurance which hopefully is the next step as I didnt think this would be happening, I did take it to everest base camp in march but it worked beautifully and has since !! any thoughts ? Cheers Graham
Where did you take it to for repair. Have you tried to contact Canon see what they say.
Posted 14 Aug 2013
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
Sent it to H Lehmans, I wouldnt think Canon would go against an authorised Service agent to be honest, its considered uneconomic to repair, its just how long does it have left really

Posted 14 Aug 2013
SPP
Photographer
SPP
My 7D didnt even make it to being a year old before it died, took it to Colchester Camera Repair and Canon warranty paid for new main board. The report said that there were signs of corrosion on the main board as if it had been in water but there were no other signs of water damage, so they paid out.

Posted 25 Aug 2013
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Are you a CPS member? I send mine Canon stuff in to
Unit 130 Centennial Avenue
Centennial Park
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE
I get a fixed price no matter what is wrong.

Posted 9 Sep 2013
jonathantennant
Photographer
jonathantenn..
MG
To be honest if you listed it on eBay as sometimes faulty and list the problem (without telling everyone about your trip to Everest) then you'd be amazed at what it sold for on there. I reckon it would sell for current used price minus £200 - £250 which really wouldn't be a bad result at all. Considering most insurance excesses are £150 to £200 then the experience need not cost you dearly at all.
That's what I did with my 7d. I sent it. To two repair companies both said beyond economic repair ( one quoted £1300 ) . I got it back and listed on eBay with the details and it was sold for £350. For sport I think the 7d is better then the 6d but for weddings, portraits, work, and the fact it's got wifi I would go for the 6d
Posted 11 Sep 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join